41 replies to this topic

#1 IRRAź Retro Racing

IRRAź Retro Racing

Official Spokesman

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

As of today, the relevant sections of the IRRA® rules have been amended to read as shown below:

Chassis Materials:
The following materials are permitted for use in chassis construction:

Brass – sheet, rod, and tube. Brass is defined as generic "yellow brass" containing copper and zinc, with minimal amounts of tin and lead, yellowish in color, non-plated, non-painted, non-coated (except for clear coating to prevent rust). Nickel/German "silver" alloys are not allowed.
Bronze – rod.
Steel – wire, pin tubing, and commercial guide tongues and guide tongue braces/doublers.

No other materials are allowed. Chassis parts, such as pans, brackets, guide tongues, etc., that are made using EDM, laser, or water-cutting techniques are allowed only if they are individual commercially-available components or components of chassis kits (i.e. these techniques may not be used in the private manufacture of one-off components that are not commercially-available). Materials such as printed circuit boards or composites such as carbon fiber are not allowed.

This revised section will be incorporated into the 2017 IRRA® rules to be released in the coming months. 

(Posted for the IRRA® Board by Mike Swiss)

• The Number of likes this

IRRA® Board of Directors: Mike McMasters, Joe Neumeister, Tony Przybylowicz, Mike Swiss, Greg Wells

#2 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

So all I have to do is say that my brass is coated to prevent oxidation since there is no specification on what type of coating can be used. If it is transparent, then it is "clear coated."

Matt Sheldon

#3 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

Armature dye makes for a good protection coating :)

#4 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

You guys do a great job and are usually on the ball when it comes to rules. But you can not ban coating then allow coating just to allow chassis that have already been clear coated. You need to make rules for everyone. Coating is OK or it's not OK make up your minds. You cannot have it both ways and call yourselves fair.

How about you word the rule this way. Coating: Clear coating for corrosion protection ONLY!!! No other plating, painting or coatings will be allowed.

While your at it how about this for a new rule. No devices will be allowed that add power to the track. No batteries or power adding devices will be allowed in controllers or attached to controllers.   

Regards,

GVP

• usadar likes this

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

Are you really trying to compare clear paint, which doesn't add strength or impede the tech director, with metal plating, which does the opposite?

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#6 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

'(except for clear coating to prevent rust)."

Seems pretty clear(pun intended) to me. As long as what's underneath can be clearly seen , no issues. In other words,no opaque coatings.

By the way ,chrome plating is clear.
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#7 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

,chrome plating is clear.

But not the Nickel that is typically under it.

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#8 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

well, imagine that! (gasp).............

• Frankie Schaffier likes this
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#9 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Plating of anything is prohibited. I just threw that in to stir the pot.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#10 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

You can't put enough plating on the brass to make it stronger. Harder, yes. Increasing the strength of the material, no.

Oh, if you guys are speaking to LAMINATING or CLADDING... yes, then that's a different subject.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#11 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

When I addressed the subject about the full hard, coated brass, the rules stated brass as an accepted material to use. The coating was in question. I did have F1 plates plated a few years ago and it was permitted, at the time and I did sell those pieces. It was a limited run. I will go along with the coating, that is why I asked. But the new wordage that has been added if after the fact, of the written rule at the time of question/submission and should  not be applied to this cache if material. It is a limited supply and will not be re-ordered again from my supplier and I am not going to pay the price it would cost today. The plus is it is full hard brass. It is not bronze, it is copper and zinc, copper and tin.............

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

Does it look like brass or does it look like bronze?

Mike Swiss

#13 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

What does bronze look like? I have never had any to view....

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

You've never had a Koford or Red Fox guide washer in your sight or possession?

But that's the point of the rule.

If there is brass that looks like phos bronze, once we allow it, we have no way of knowing if what is presented for tech, is that particular brass or phos bronze.

Mike Swiss

#15 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

What are you implying?....

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#16 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Rick:

Bronze (mainly copper and tin) is a reddish color while brass (mainly copper and zinc) tends to be yellowish.  I use the terms reddish and yellowish because there are a ton of copper alloys with colors ranging from nearly silver to a deep red.  The whole intent of what the BoD is trying to do is to specify the more commonly available alloys (i.e. yellow brass) as opposed to the higher tech versions.  If they allowed plating the tech inspectors couldn't tell what kind of material was being used.  A true clear coat won't change the color so that is being allowed so the chassis doesn't tarnish.

As far as hardness is concerned they aren't trying to control that as it would be nearly impossible for the tech guy to check accurately considering the thickness of the chassis material and the need for a hardness tester.

Finally to quote a (in)famous slot car racer, "Why make it harder than it has to be?"

• tonyp likes this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#17 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

The coating that we have on our new run of parts is an electrical conformal coating for oxidation protection. It is not a plating and is transparent as to where the color of the brass looks like everyone elses. Why again I feel that as long as it is transparent, a coating is a coating. The type of coating is not being called out. Could be elastomeric based, chemical, electro elastomeric, yada, yada.

I can tell you that a 260 brass with 2-3% bronze content cannot be detected with the naked eye, however you put an oily thumb print on it and you will see it in a couple weeks. Going through invoices shows that Duffy had at least 2 batches of the stuff made.

Matt Sheldon

#18 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Zackly Jay. The addition of zinc or tin makes up the difference of what is bronze and what is brass, There is also yellow bronze, but the common color is brown. The amount of copper designates the hue of brass and the strength, is doesn't magically make brass into bronze. I am certain you have heard the term yellow brass and red brass? Both are brass! There are many alloys of "yellow" brass, and they have a wide range on price, which is the correct one to use? If one can offer a superior product for a similar price it is better for the consumer.......

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#19 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

There are bronzes that look just like "brass" and brasses that look just like "bronze". No one in IRRA is qualified to make the distinction. I suggest you guys invest in one of these, X-Ray Metal Identifier , if it's such a problem.

(edit)

One more thing: the different aloys of copper can be chemically treated to look yellow or red, similar to the process of bluing steel for guns. So, how are you going to regulate that?

BTW, was this such a problem that it required a rule change/clarification? All these metals were available in in 1969.... :laugh2:

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#20 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi Matt:

There really isn't any "bronze" in 260 cartridge brass, doesn't even have any tin it.  However you are correct that if a brass alloy has only a small percentage of tin it (which some do) it probably can't be detected by eye.  I think the whole point is that if it still looks like "yellow" brass it's OK to use.  IMO this rule change is a realistic answer to the acceptable materials question.

• MSwiss and tonyp like this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#21 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

BTW, was this such a problem that it required a rule change/clarification? All these metals were available in in 1969.... :laugh2:

One more time Phil.

The rules aren't based on what what was available in 1969 or we wouldn't be racing FK motors with Neo magnets, fish rubber tires, and electronic controllers.

Mike Swiss

#22 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hi Matt:

There really isn't any "bronze" in 260 cartridge brass, doesn't even have any tin it.  However you are correct that if a brass alloy has only a small percentage of tin it (which some do) it probably can't be detected by eye.  I think the whole point is that if it still looks like "yellow" brass it's OK to use.  IMO this rule change is a realistic answer to the acceptable materials question.

I will forward you some materials test results and call out forms.

And no it is not stated that it only has to "look" like yellow brass. That would really leave the door open to getting creative.

The way the rules are stated my new kits pass (minus the black kits). I will submit some samples to the BOD prior to release.

Matt Sheldon

#23 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

If there is brass that looks like phos bronze, once we allow it, we have no way of knowing if what is presented for tech, is that particular brass or phos bronze.

What are you implying?....

I thought my above statement is clear, but if you need more detail;

If your material looks like phos bronze, despite your ISO certified supplier saying it's just brass, and the IRRA®'s ability, if we wished, to send it to Guillermo Suar, to confirm as such with the $40K machine he has access to, all that does, is confirm that pc. is brass.

It would leave anyone else to walk up to the tech line with material that looks the same. We can't hold up the race, each time, to send that particular chassis to Guillermo, for verification.

Rick:
Bronze (mainly copper and tin) is a reddish color while brass (mainly copper and zinc) tends to be yellowish.  I use the terms reddish and yellowish because there are a ton of copper alloys with colors ranging from nearly silver to a deep red.  The whole intent of what the BoD is trying to do is to specify the more commonly available alloys (i.e. yellow brass) as opposed to the higher tech versions.  If they allowed plating the tech inspectors couldn't tell what kind of material was being used.  A true clear coat won't change the color so that is being allowed so the chassis doesn't tarnish.

As far as hardness is concerned they aren't trying to control that as it would be nearly impossible for the tech guy to check accurately considering the thickness of the chassis material and the need for a hardness tester.

Finally to quote a (in)famous slot car racer, "Why make it harder than it has to be?"

Zackly.

Good post and sums it up, especially the "Why make it harder than it has to be?" passage.

There are bronzes that look just like "brass" and brasses that look just like "bronze". No one in IRRA is qualified to make the distinction. I suggest you guys invest in one of these, X-Ray Metal Identifier , if it's such a problem.

The problem has been solved with the new rule.

The timing of this ruling has nothing to do with Rick finding a supply of "full hard brass".

It has to do with C770 Nickel Brass finding it's way to the tech line at the Sano.

Five, or more, years ago, after I placed an order with my brass chassis vendor, Geary Gaspord/Backtrack.

He shipped me about 6 pcs. of a Brackagra bracket brace/weight, made from that Nickel Brass.

I called him, unhappy.

He assured me it was brass, and sent me the link to the material.

I told him, I get it, but it's just something I didn't want to press/perpetuate, and to not ship me any more parts with it.

I filled a few orders with it, and then brought up a conversation with the BOD and explained how I  thought it was a bad idea to continue to make parts with it and assured them it would not continue.

One the entrants at the Sano presented a car at tech with C770 Nickel Brass.

When checking the rules after the race, it was discovered we didn't have anything in the rules stating it was illegal.

Hence, the reason for the update with the additional elements to make the tech director job a realistic one.

Mike Swiss

#24 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

Jay has built a Bronze chassis and I was going to and had the material before the original board told us it was not legal as it was not brass. Really easy to tell by the color. That's why red brass will not be legal it's too hard to tell apart in the tech line. By keeping it normal yellow brass colors there is no problem for the tech inspector.
  • MSwiss and Tim Neja like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#25 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

I can tell you that a 260 brass with 2-3% bronze content cannot be detected with the naked eye, however you put an oily thumb print on it and you will see it in a couple weeks. Going through invoices shows that Duffy had at least 2 batches of the stuff made.

I can tell you guys when Duffy described his chassis parts, he told me  " It's made from the " Good stuff " .

Sam Levitch

#26 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

And they are yellow.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
Arco Champion
ip

#27 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

Would a stronger brass or bronze really be an advantage? Not that I think that the rules need to be changed (rules are rules), I just don't see where it would make much of a difference either way.

• S.O. Watt and Samiam like this

Phil Smith ® ™

#28 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

Stronger material would be less prone to bending, especially when used for nose pieces with front wings, brackets and pans. Phosphor bronze has a better memory than brass and is used to make springs.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
Arco Champion
ip

#29 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

But Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. :wacko2:

Sam Levitch

#30 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

One more time Phil.

The rules aren't based on what what was available in 1969 or we wouldn't be racing FK motors with Neo magnets, fish rubber tires, and electronic controllers.

BOOM!

Thank you making my point.

I think there's an irrational fear permiating the Retro crowd about "unusual" materials. Yet you *ARE* using the motors, controllers and other components, containing EXACTLY the things that weren't available or in use in slot cars in "1969". (note the laughing character....) Why is bronze or other copper alloys other than C260 a big threat to the series?

Again, you guys have no idea how to tell the copper-based metals apart other than color or sending a sample to a lab? Really? How do you plan on enforcing the rule at the tech bench?

ONE MORE TIME.... you can't tell by color. <---note the period. I won't post how to do it but I could definitly fool your tech inspector by color. Not a problem.

Posted Image

#31 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

Why is bronze or other copper alloys other than C260 a big threat to the series?

Along with,by perception, obsoleting older chassis, there is a matter of phos bronze being priced 73% higher than 260 brass.

And if you want, pose the same question to Bryan Warmack.

The SCRRA sees fit to not allow it, either.
  • Tim Neja and Samiam like this

Mike Swiss

#32 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

Along with,by perception, obsoleting older chassis, there is a matter of phos bronze being priced 73% higher than 260 brass.

And if you want, pose the same question to Bryan Warmack.

The SCRRA sees fit to not allow it, either.

See? That's the answer I was looking for: rational, logical and racer friendly.

The problem will be the enforcement of the rule: do you (the IRRA collectively) know how?

Posted Image

#33 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

FYI - I own two different commercial brand transistor controllers that were made prior to 1968.  Four wire hookup is a clue that you did have to test polarity before use.  The functioning circuit has operated the same in all era, with the modern controllers doing the job much better.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#34 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

ONE MORE TIME.... you can't tell by color. <---note the period. I won't post how to do it but I could definitly fool your tech inspector by color. Not a problem.

How much penetration does your top secret way of fooling the tech director, have?

The problem will be the enforcement of the rule: do you (the IRRA collectively) know how?

Assuming your top secret technique has 100% penetration, I guess there is no way to stop the determined cheater, but keeping out phos bronze will prevent a manufacturer, like JK, from raising the price of Retro racing's most popular chassis kit, the X25R, from $45, to something like $70-$75.
  • Samiam and RodneyZ like this

Mike Swiss

#35 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

Keeping the cost of Retro racing reasonable is paramount. We all know what happens when ' speed at any cost " is the mantra of a class.

• Cheater, MSwiss, Phil Hackett and 4 others like this
Sam Levitch

#36 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:03 PM

How much penetration does your top secret way of fooling the tech director, have?

Assuming your top secret technique has 100% penetration, I guess there is no way to stop the determined cheater, but keeping out phos bronze will prevent a manufacturer, like JK, from raising the price of Retro racing's most popular chassis kit, the X25R, from $45, to something like $70-$75.

I had a response but I give up... you win. It'll be very entertaining *when* someone is caught with non-approved material.

Posted Image

#37 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

Phil,
You seem so concerned about the well being of the IRRA®.

So how deep is your brass camouflage?

Would we discover it;
A) by scratching it with a sharp X-Acto blade?
B) hitting it with a Dremel with a 409 disc?
C) sending it to Guillermo Star for the free examination with the $40,000 machine.

Mike Swiss

#38 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

Sample on its was to Indiana today, to be tested and confirmed.........

• Samiam likes this
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

#39 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Phil,
You seem so concerned about the well being of the IRRA®.

So how deep is your brass camouflage?

Would we discover it;
A) by scratching it with a sharp X-Acto blade?
B) hitting it with a Dremel with a 409 disc?
C) sending it to Guillermo Star for the free examination with the $40,000 machine.

You'd need to pay a lab fee.

Posted Image

#40 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

One more thing: the different aloys of copper can be chemically treated to look yellow or red, similar to the process of bluing steel for guns.

You'd need to pay a lab fee.

Sounds unlikely.

Mike Swiss

#41 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

Stronger material would be less prone to bending, especially when used for nose pieces with front wings, brackets and pans. Phosphor bronze has a better memory than brass and is used to make springs.

But it's easy to brace the weak points, as you do on your chassis'. So at best stronger materials would eliminate some bracing here and there. It just seems to me they offer little if any performance advantage.

Phil Smith ® ™

#42 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:49 PM

Full-hard brass is all you need, c260 brass to be specific....

• tonyp likes this

Posted Image

Electric Dreams Online Shop