• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tazman

tazman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:48 PM

Finally, I was able to purchase some SA sponge tire & wheel combo and put it on my NSR Corvette and I was in for a very pleasant surprrise. It was fantastic to see the car perform fantastically - handling was GREAT. I've read a lot about how the SoCal guys have been doing this for a while and I appreciate some of the tips provided about tires and setups. I no longer race on a plastic track like we had in Hawaii and now I have to adapt to a commercial track. I like the experimenting with 1/32 cars and I will work on my Slot - it and my Scalextric cars - something new and FUN FOR ME.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
  • Tim Neja likes this
Rick Ortogero

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:40 AM

I've been racing NSR, Slot It and Sideways cars on wood tracks for about 5 years now. They are a blast even on silicone tires. We race in a 24 hour race on a wood track with silicone tires. One set of tires and one motor is usually all you need. Almost all the teams in the race run a sidewinder configuration with a 20,000 to 22,000 rpm motor. If you use more than a 25,000 rpm motor you'll over power the car. 

If you want to use silicone tires I will tell you that they are a lot harder to true and take a lot longer to true on a tire truer. Glue them on with black silicone gasket sealer. It takes a couple of hours to true one because you have to take very small bites and let it run for 15 to 20 minutes. Then I use a utility knife blade, hold it at an angle to round the edges on the tire.

Jim "Danger" Dunaway aka Butch

Danger is my middle name, that's why I race slot cars.

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"In the beginning of a change, the PATRIOT is a scarce man, and brave and hated
and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it cost
nothing to be a PATRIOT." - Mark Twain, 1904

#3 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

The Scaleauto foams are a revelation for plastic car fans, and very happily Slot-It ALSO offers a line of sponge tires sized for existing 1/32nd wheels in competition sizes (10mm by 18.mm and 10mm by 19.5mm) which means that almost any plastic car can show off its true potential.

Biggest worry always is of course braid depth. Generally, if you're looking at a braid recess of more than .010" then you tend to run into some very troubling braid and guide issues.

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria

Tech Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#4 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

And when the plastic car manufacturers adopt the 1958 Slot Standards for slot depth and flag design as the commercial cars have , we can all get along better.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2011 member #025-2
USSCA 2015 member
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#5 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

Actually most of the competition brands of plastic car (Slot It, NSR, Scaleauto, Black Arrow, Sloting Plus) offer a larger "wood track guide" for just such a purpose, while the cars ship with a smaller guide intended to function on the more common Scalextric Sport or Ninco tracks.

The bigger issue is that because plastic track has either a flush or raised rail rather than a recessed braid, a plastic car's guide sits MUCH higher in the chassis than a comparable commercial car, thus leading to a scenario where on some tracks a plastic car is actually "carrying" its braids over the track braid rather than making contact.

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria

Tech Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#6 tazman

tazman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Just came back from Sidewinder Raceway and I learned a lot. Billy Sr. Helped me out and gave some very valuable tips about no-mag racing. I worked on my slot-it 962 and it started to look good. My tires were trued and some tungsten putty was added. I wanted to see how much of an improvement it gained and I was reminded that I was there (Rocklin) for a birthday gathering and not slot car racing for more than 2 hrs. I wanted to be part of the Wed. Race but family obligations called. I will be back, GREAT 1/32 raceway!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Rick Ortogero

#7 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

Another big surprise on my wood track is how well the old Fly cars run. Check out the Chevron, Flunder, and GT40. When properly tuned, with added weight and Ortmann tires, their times are not that far off from our Slot.it cars with Ortmanns. Since we're a non-glue club, we don't run foam. 

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#8 tazman

tazman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Rick Ortogero