• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Not really trying to stir the pot; rather, just make an observation.

The first question of the poll asks if "you" would continue racing Retro if the IRRA® changed to builder motors(?). I think the question is a bit narrow and should have read "Would you continue racing retro under IRRA® rules if the IRRA® changed to builder motors?" Yes, I know the poll/question is under the IRRA® subforum, so one can argue that should be obvious. But if you just pull up "View new content" without drilling down specifically to the IRRA subforum, it's not quite as obvious to some(re: old people like me). You can always continue to race retro under different rules.

That's all... just wanted to make that distinction. I'm not anti-IRRA® or anti any organization. Heck, I've run Retro series/races under my own org (TRRA) but currently run under Hershman's RETRO rules. None of us control every aspect of what swirls around us and we find ourselves on a different path than the one we started on. It's all good. :)

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#2 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

The days of large series and regional races with Wing and high end motored scale cars are over. The majority of racers are racing sealed motored series and classes. Perfect example is Ohio Challenge Cup. The GTP class was once a motor builder class. It used built S16D or C-can Contender type motors costing anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars. The class never was the largest and slowly died. Two years ago the series used the option of sealed PS FK or the built C or D-can motors. The majority of racers opted to the sealed low cost motor.

After seeing that growth the C and D builder motors were eliminated from the class. Now the GTP class is seeing numbers it has never seen. Being the last class of the day didn't help. But now racers are staying to run GTP. Now the LMP/Group 10 class which is still an unsealed builders class is slowly showing signs of the lowest participation. 

Largest class in OCC has been and remains GT1 which has always been a sealed motor class.

• Cheater, tonyp, Matt Sheldon and 1 other like this
GallerymanDan

#3 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Dan, so this is a really roundabout way of saying you voted for the sealed motors? :D 

• Dan Ebert likes this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,207 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

I didn't vote because there wasn't a
"I prefer sealed motors, but I wouldn't quit" option.

Regardless, the poll is a fantasy.
  • Tex, Dan Ebert and DOCinCocoa like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#5 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

Yes, Bill I guess so. My days of building motors and searching for that elusive silver bullet arm is over. I won't even go into the horror stories of backdoor buying and preferred racer arms or motors. 

I don't want to go back to that type of racing. The guys that do are either naïve or one of the chosen few getting the best equipment. Even though I am not racing at top. The fact is I have as much chance as anyone to buy that lucky silver bullet motor over the counter. To me that is all that matters that I have a fair shot like anyone else. 

No changing my mind on this, I have raced Group 7 to FCR on a national level. After 30 years of racing, I will race sealed motor series and classes.

• Cheater, MSwiss, tonyp and 3 others like this
GallerymanDan

#6 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

I didn't vote because of the reason Swiss stated! Question could have been worded better.

I race builder classes in GLISRA and would probably pass on the Retro thing.

As Dan stated, builder classes are dying, like it or not.

• Cheater and MSwiss like this

Kevin VanPelt

Slotblog subscriber and proud of it!  :good: 

#7 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Dan is absolutely right. I will say that Group 10 has rebounded somewhat with racers determining that the low cost motors available (the $17 Pro Slot 16D) are sufficiently inexpensive for a starting point. 

However, those new racers I have seen get into Group 10 have not then rushed to the counter to buy new armatures/magnets/endbell hardware and the like, but rather have treated their "open" motors as a motor with one throwaway component rather than tossing the whole beast in the bin. 

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria

Tech Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#8 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

I cast the first vote because I was able to.

A pointless poll.

#9 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

I have noticed a similar resurgence in the ORS series anglewinder class since moving to the sealed motor concept. Last race at Tom Thumb had 17 entries. That may not sound like a huge count but before the sealed motors it didn't seem like there were usually enough to fill even one main.

• The Number of and TG Racing like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

There were some technical problems with the poll (Damn Russians).  Mike is right. The poll is just a fantasy. The IRRA® has no intentions of ever running built motors. It is just internet folly.  

The important part is to vote, no matter which way you vote. Your vote matters. :D  

Vote early and vote often. :victory:

• Uncle Fred likes this
Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,207 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

I didn't vote because there wasn't a
"I prefer sealed motors, but I wouldn't quit" option.

Thanks, Sam. That would be awesome.

A choice like the above would be great.

On the unlikely event we had to go to building motors, rather than walking away from something as great as Retro racing, I would try to figure out how to build a motor.

PS: In the new poll, if you could have Cheater flip the switch that has the poll appear on top, whenever there's a new vote, that also would be great. (IOW, when you hit "View New Content," it should be somewhere near the top of the results, at least for the first few days)

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#12 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,440 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'm going to delete Sam's poll because of the technical issues I personally caused (by doing some stuff I won't bother to explain) and will remake it with the additional option soon but it may not happen tonight; definitely no later by in the morning. FWIW the poll function has always been a little buggy.

My apologies to those who had already voted.

• JerseyJohn likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop