• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

I'm having a track built by Mr. Gerding (thread here), and our first racers will be local friends who remember the hobby from "back when".  

Most were casual racers in the 60s-70s, I am probably the most "serious" but still far from an expert even back then.  I need advice on how to organize practice/races etc.  

I'll be inviting others to participate eventually, but I need help getting our "core group" started successfully.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Garry

Garry Stoner

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

Lots of good stuff to find online.  Here's just one example of a well run organization overseas.  

http://www.slotsofca.../csc/rules.html

Oftentimes, racers are found at Commercial track establishments and invited over, but since Iowa does not have one, you may need some word of mouth advertising through Facebook etc.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

Our Farrout club has been very successful in the past, with an average of 18 racers twice a month up until this year. Strong leadership, a variety of classes with set rules, and an informative website helped. The website crashed without a backup, leaving us with one from 2013. Still, it will show you a pretty complete picture of what's possible.  Check it out, and feel free to PM me with any questions.   http://www.farroutslotcars.com   We still have 12 different track locations for next year.

Eddie

• Tim Neja and Tim Wilkins like this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#4 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi Garry  ( great name )

I race in the home club's in St Louis.... gatewayslotracing.com & mgpmrc.com ..... you can check out our website to see how we do it.

Looks like you can do it all on that track ( nice )..... so pick something every body has ( flexy , wing car, Scale ).

If you need cars You cant go wrong with modern flexy cars.

We all ( 10- 19racers) get together at 7:00 . We practice 45min - 1 hour....... Tec starts @ 7:45... Racing @ 8:00.

We run 3 classes .....2min heats, Round robin...  We get out by 10:30......

Good Luck ... More ????? just ask....

GAV

• MSwiss and MarkH like this
Gary Vogeler

#5 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

Here is another club for your evaluation. http://slotcarenduro.club/serg/ Take a look and see if anything sounds good.

We run one body in each series to keep it simple. Using the same chassis and motors for both series keeps cost down. We have been running the Team Challenge Series for 4 years and the Thursday SERG Series is in its first year.

The formats: 

SERG Series- Thursday nights we qualify for race assignments. Fastest guys last. Everyone races each of the four lanes for 7:30 and the total laps from the heats races sets the final order. We race only one body, commercially available flexi chassis and Hawk7, PS-FK, PS-4002s. The racing in each heat is excellent because of similar speed drivers. Few crashes and some close battles. Qualifying at 7:30. Racing immediately after. Heading home around 9:30

Team Challenge Series - One Saturday a month from Sept to April. We qualify to establish team assignments. The fastest and slowest qualifiers become team mates and we work our way toward the middle. We again race only one body but something different from the SERG Series body. Same chassis and motors as SERG Series. The racing is for 15 minutes per lane and each driver will race two of the four lanes. This format has produced finishes within a couple feet or less at almost every race over the last two seasons. Rarely does one team run away with a win where after an hour of racing just 20-30 laps can cover the field. Most of our tracks lap in the 3.2-3.8 second range.

We Qualify at 10:30am. Racing begins after the teams are assigned and have selected their starting lanes and driver order. Generally heading home around 12:30 to 1:00pm. This is the most popular format because everyone has a chance to win. Even the slowest guy has scored a win and several podiums.

Take what you can use from all examples of the different presentations to make your club the best for your group of drivers. Keep in mind the rules need to be clearly stated, cover the goals of your club for the future and consistent over time. Then follow the rules through the season. We offer the opportunity at the end of the season for drivers to present rule changes / modifications for the next season. The primary officers make the final call to assure the rules are in line with the long term goals of the club. Members are given a vote to accept or decline if the changes effect the formats. Additionally, when this was all very new, it was made very clear the rules would be tweaked as we went along to fix unforeseen issues. The first two seasons had a rules changing but now we are pretty well groomed out and the races run real smooth and fair. 

• garyvmachines likes this

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#6 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

Our Farrout club has been very successful in the past, with an average of 18 racers twice a month up until this year. Strong leadership, a variety of classes with set rules, and an informative website helped. The website crashed without a backup, leaving us with one from 2013. Still, it will show you a pretty complete picture of what's possible.  Check it out, and feel free to PM me with any questions.   http://www.farroutslotcars.com   We still have 12 different track locations for next year.

Eddie

A very impressive club, and much more complex than I'm planning at this point!  Some interesting points in your rules and surveys:

• Host will provide 4 loaner cars...
  • All racers will use the controllers provided by the host.
  • "With almost 45% of the racers using loaner cars..."  (from 2008 survey)

I've purchased a good selection of cars and controllers as "loaners" to get us started, but I expected at some point everyone will want their own.  

Would you say that your policy of providing cars and controllers is a large part of your success as a club?

Garry Stoner

#7 oldslots

oldslots

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Garry - First suggestion, show the city/area where you are located in your profile so that anytime you post here or on any other board racers can notice you.  I currently travel up to two hours from eastern Iowa to go racing and would love to find a good club track.  I am also planning a track build as part of my retirement cave this year.

Good Luck!

Jim Good

Dubuque, IA

#8 JimF

JimF

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

Here is another club for your evaluation. http://slotcarenduro.club/serg/ Take a look and see if anything sounds good.

We run one body in each series to keep it simple. Using the same chassis and motors for both series keeps cost down. We have been running the Team Challenge Series for 4 years and the Thursday SERG Series is in its first year.

The formats: 

SERG Series- Thursday nights we qualify for race assignments. Fastest guys last. Everyone races each of the four lanes for 7:30 and the total laps from the heats races sets the final order. We race only one body, commercially available flexi chassis and Hawk7, PS-FK, PS-4002s. The racing in each heat is excellent because of similar speed drivers. Few crashes and some close battles. Qualifying at 7:30. Racing immediately after. Heading home around 9:30

Team Challenge Series - One Saturday a month from Sept to April. We qualify to establish team assignments. The fastest and slowest qualifiers become team mates and we work our way toward the middle. We again race only one body but something different from the SERG Series body. Same chassis and motors as SERG Series. The racing is for 15 minutes per lane and each driver will race two of the four lanes. This format has produced finishes within a couple feet or less at almost every race over the last two seasons. Rarely does one team run away with a win where after an hour of racing just 20-30 laps can cover the field. Most of our tracks lap in the 3.2-3.8 second range.

We Qualify at 10:30am. Racing begins after the teams are assigned and have selected their starting lanes and driver order. Generally heading home around 12:30 to 1:00pm. This is the most popular format because everyone has a chance to win. Even the slowest guy has scored a win and several podiums.

Take what you can use from all examples of the different presentations to make your club the best for your group of drivers. Keep in mind the rules need to be clearly stated, cover the goals of your club for the future and consistent over time. Then follow the rules through the season. We offer the opportunity at the end of the season for drivers to present rule changes / modifications for the next season. The primary officers make the final call to assure the rules are in line with the long term goals of the club. Members are given a vote to accept or decline if the changes effect the formats. Additionally, when this was all very new, it was made very clear the rules would be tweaked as we went along to fix unforeseen issues. The first two seasons had a rules changing but now we are pretty well groomed out and the races run real smooth and fair. 

Just stumbled across this post. This is really impressive both in track variations and organization. I think that if there were a club with this variety in my area, (except for the building pleasure of Retro) I probably would not race commercial at all. Again....very impressive and I wish your group all the best.

May you all "Live long and prosper"

• garyvmachines likes this
Jim Fowler

#9 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

Hi jim, thanks for the compliments. We have a great time and are going into the third season for the Thursday night SERG Series.

As far wanting to build D3, anyone can propose a class as long as parts are commercially available from multiple sources. E-Bay does not count as a source. We are trying to support the commercial tracks if we can. D3 cars are strong in the STL area. 

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

Electric Dreams Online Shop