• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

Does anyone make a reproduction of the 1/24 Cox La Cucaracha or any of its major components i.e. chassis & body?

I'm aware of the Rehco 1/32 version, but want 1/24. 

Garry Stoner

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

The only thing I've seen were lexan bodies & stripe kits. Along with the guide rubber band and drop arm foam.

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#3 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have a friend that has made a few in colors for fun. Not sure if he wants to make any to sell, but I will check and see.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

Nice idea. Lovely memories. I had a couple of these way back when. I would suggest, as a slot car vet, to get some real JK slot cars and begin to enjoy slot racing. The old memories are wonderful. The cars are not. Slot racing can be fun and the modern cars facilitate the great memories without the reality of frustrating performance. Of course I'm not going to change your mind! But hopefully you will try some amazing JK cars before you chuck it all in. As always, YMMV.
Mark Bauer

#5 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Nice idea. Lovely memories. I had a couple of these way back when. I would suggest, as a slot car vet, to get some real JK slot cars and begin to enjoy slot racing. The old memories are wonderful. The cars are not. Slot racing can be fun and the modern cars facilitate the great memories without the reality of frustrating performance. Of course I'm not going to change your mind! But hopefully you will try some amazing JK cars before you chuck it all in. As always, YMMV.

I never found the performance of the original Cuc to be frustrating at all, but some of my friends were frustrated when I beat them with it, lol.  It is a "drivers" car, i.e. you can't just glue it down and keep the trigger pulled, but I prefer that.  And getting back into the hobby, I'm seeing many current cars using very similar chassis designs!  

Here's a thread that will give you an idea of where I'm at:  http://slotblog.net/...-to-race-again/  I considered JK cars but ended up going another direction to start out, see post #12.

Just so you know, I personally consider all slot cars "real".  I enjoyed every aspect of slot car racing in the 60s and 70s, and expect to enjoy it even more now that I'm retired.

BTW, you're trying to promote JK, may I respectfully suggest you soften your approach.  They may be "amazing", but I doubt anyone will "chuck it all in" for lack of a "real JK slot car". 

Garry Stoner

#6 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

They are all slot cars, but some are also decent models of real racing cars and not just something that goes fast. The Cuc's are not bad runners and certainly a great way to enjoy a vintage slot car. Nobody up here that does this, but I know a few years ago some of the guys in Oz would get together and run a class of Cox magnesium chassis cars. These were never great race cars, but it was probably really fun to set them up the best you could and then run a race with only them. There are thousands of Cuc's out there and you will find what you need if you keep after it.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#7 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

As far as I have been told, The REH 1/32 Cuc is OEM NOS Cox center frames.  All of the other parts are from their vast inventory.  The body mount plate is likely custom made for them to make a complete car.  When they sell out, they are gone.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#8 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

Hey, sorry. Wasn't meaning to shill for JK or anyone else. I was just thinking inexpensive and readily available. Try Mossetti or Pro Slot or the venerable though dated Champion Turbo-flex. Or none at all. There are likely RTR versions of these around. La Cucaracha's certainly hold a special and perhaps unique place in slot car history.
Mark Bauer

#9 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Just look for a complete car on Ebay. I found one with untouched wheel wells and most of the parts for around $85 shipped. The motor was not Korrect but fit. Original fronts and rears. 

If you're looking for a runner then originality is even less important. I have one that I added two large brass pans and a modern Jet Flag guide. Modern tires,axle and crown gear. Should be a contender when we put together a 'Cuc race at Slots-A-Lot on Vintage night.

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#10 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Hey, sorry. Wasn't meaning to shill for JK or anyone else. I was just thinking inexpensive and readily available. Try Mossetti or Pro Slot or the venerable though dated Champion Turbo-flex. Or none at all. There are likely RTR versions of these around. La Cucaracha's certainly hold a special and perhaps unique place in slot car history.

No problem, and sorry I was a bit short.  You're right about price, it is more challenging to put together a fleet of Cuc's than I thought.  I've already purchased quite a few flexis, mainly turbos and 2's.  I'm worried they may be a bit fast for our old reflexes, but I also have a variable power supply!

Garry Stoner

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

"As far as I have been told, The REH 1/32 Cuc is OEM NOS Cox center frames."

Larry, those center sections are not Cox OEM but softer alloy parts from new tooling made by REH in the 1970s when the original parts ran out and they still had 3000 bodies to sell. Problem is, they are a bit flimsy and twist easily.
REH still has quite a few of the original nickel plated body mounts for the Lancer vac formed bodies.

• Ramcatlarry likes this

#12 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

Classic Tin Toy does a lot of Cox repop stuff.

The body and all bits to build a Super Cucaracha complete body.

You can get everything you need to assemble a full styrene Chap 2E body: body, side pods, windshield, wing struts, wing, mirror, radiators, tail lights, intakes (which are used on the Cuc as well) driver.

They have Cheetaracha bodies in different colors.

Down side? :PRICEY!!!

Todd Brace

#13 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

Thanks much for the tip, but you're right - they're pricey!!!  A Super Cuc body with windshield, chrome bits, and driver would total $405!

Garry Stoner

Electric Dreams Online Shop