58 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,645 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

I can take my time, wind and build ten motors, be as careful as I can doing them all the same, use the same basic components, do the same assembly... and wind up with noticeable variations (on the power supply anyway) between them.

I'd just like to inject a little dispassionate reality into the whole question around these things. Now, take that same premise, but apply it to a batch of maybe (?) a hundred thousand or so motors mass-produced to meet a low price point, and I find it shocking that the variations aren't huge!

Actually, the fact that some will buy a whole bunch of the "FK" Chinese motors to find one or two cherries only underscores how consistent (generally-speaking) the motors are.  

-john 

• Cheater, Pappy, MSwiss and 13 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Totally agree, John. I posted basically the same thought a few days ago. It was ignored!

• Cheater, havlicek and Pat Skeggs like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

John,

I need 10,000 arms to fit mini cans. I want them all to be exactly alike. OH... and they have to retail for $30. Motors will be $50. When can I have these?

PS: If any arms meter up really nice, above the average, please put them aside. You have my address.

• havlicek likes this
Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,645 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi Sam...

While I get that you're being humorous ;) , metering doesn't tell you all that much. Swiss and others have made the point that you really can't tell for sure until the motor is in a car and the car is on the track. Even then, the chassis and how the car is set up are probably at least as important as the motor itself. I  do a lot of the same type motors, so I have an idea of how they should perform, and I still get surprises all the time.

-john

John Havlicek

#5 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:56 AM

Awesome, John. Very well said.

• Cheater, havlicek and olescratch like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#6 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,801 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

Very good insight... thanks.

• havlicek likes this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#7 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,607 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Reproducability and repeatablity are two things that are tough enough for major manufacturers of anything to obtain. 

My bet, just based on my own observations, is that 80% of the items used in slot racing are not consistently made the "exact same."

I do not care if it's bodies, guides, tires, or axles. Not even piano wire.

• Half Fast, havlicek and olescratch like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#8 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

Totally agree, John. I posted basically the same thought a few days ago. It was ignored!

Mike,

You cannot talk that voodoo magic common sense around here.

• Cheater, Tex, Half Fast and 1 other like this

Matt Sheldon

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

John, please don't muddy the motor "discussion" with facts...

• Tex, havlicek and olescratch like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

John,

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, unpopular as it may be in some circles.

Some years ago at my local raceway (now defunct) it was very common to hear racers complain endlessly about "Chinese junk" motors, and how "you had to buy 10 just to get one that runs well".  No doubt this happened at most other active raceways, too.

When I suggested that we could all go back to building our own motors, whether from scratch (as in winding our own arms) or from over-the-counter parts, all I would get was the old argument about "leveling the playing field", and the bugaboo of "motor wars".

In response I would suggest that there is no such thing as a level playing field when it comes to parts, and in particular to motors.  Some will always work better than others as they themselves have complained about.

From there I would go on to the logical conclusion and say that if we were going to maintain a level playing field we should eliminate both the slow AND the fast motors and use only the middle ones that run the same as each other...  You can easily imagine where that argument got me.

But, I digress.  It is refreshing to hear someone else make the argument based on the facts. :good:

• havlicek, Mike Patterson and olescratch like this

#11 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

The more restricted the cars are, the more "the little things" make a difference.  Each one of those little things by itself will not win races, but add them all up and you have the "unfair advantage".  Most real car racing series are like that now.  

• Cheater, havlicek and DOCinCocoa like this
"Whatever..."

#12 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

John is certainly an expert in motor building and I agree with what he is saying regarding motor performance consistency. However, the main concern of this recent motor consistency discussion, was consistency in the way the Retro Hawk motors are made which in turn, can certainly affect motor consistency performance. I'll just quote what Bryan Warmack wrote and leave it at that.

A)       Four different can markings:

1.    No markings

2.    MADE IN CHINA in black ink

3.    R  MADE IN CHINA  etched

4.    and the new 7R7R7R

B)        Several different balancing procedures

C)        Different magnetic cogging?

D)        Different shafts

E)        Different brushes

F)        and now perhaps different wire, windings, and timing...

• Tim Neja likes this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

Tim,

How about we quote from later in Bryan's same post, just to be fair and accurate?

I have torn two of the new ones [marked 7R] apart and found them to be exactly the same as the old ones (65 turns of .0105" wire and the same timing). Track performance has been mixed...

The last sentence is the crux of the matter and is what is being investigated.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#14 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

Well said, my friend.

Most racers nowadays don't know how or don't want to learn to build a motor, takes too much time they say.

Just watch the old timers that win consistantly. Yes, they can build a motor and yes, they can build a chassis, but the  things that 98% of them have are the driving and setup skills. Wish I still had a place to race, play, practice, but I do not. So when I do get to a track for a race I just buy the motor that has been designated for the race and have fun and usually come in around fourth or fifth below the old timers like me or some of the new guys that I think were born with a controller in their hand, but hey... we had fun, at least I do.

As we used to say, keep your thumb down and make laps.

• Samiam likes this

#15 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Anyone involved in assembly, machining and manufacturing would understand all the variables that come into play just on this little motor. Even within tolerance, wire thickness, insulation thickness,  stack dimension, etc., etc., all will come into play. The lucky soul that gets the motor with best of all worlds within the given specs hits the lottery. It will happen, folks, no matter who is making or building these. You get the thick wire with minimum insulation on the short stack. Wound evenly and balanced right on, with a straight shaft that may be been from a lot of slightly harder material. All of this comes into play even when all tolerances are maintained. 

So when are we going to realize this is just the nature of the beast and accept this fact. Until human error is eliminated and manufacturing processes are perfect we will not see equally performing motors. This is as close as it gets for a 13 or 50 dollar motor. No way around  it.

So go race and stop bitching about 13 dollar motors. 

• Cheater, MSwiss, Phil Hackett and 3 others like this
GallerymanDan

#16 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

There will never be what is called an "equal" race! Someone will always have an upper hand. Even in the case of building your own motors, as stated by Mr. H., there will be differences. These differences are what determines the race, motors, bodies, track skills, etc.

To even expect that a bunch of mass-produced anythings will be the same is a sign of not being able to deal with the "real"!!

• Samiam likes this
John Stewart

#17 airhead

airhead

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

I don't care if I win anything or not, racing slot cars is fun, just like it was in the '60s.

Besides, in a race when I wreck someone will put my car back on the track for me.

• zforce, gas, Dan Ebert and 2 others like this
Billy Watson

#18 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

Anyone involved in assembly, machining and manufacturing would understand all the variables that come into play just on this little motor. Even within tolerance, wire thickness, insulation thickness,  stack dimension, etc., etc., all will come into play. The lucky soul that gets the motor with best of all worlds within the given specs hits the lottery. It will happen, folks, no matter who is making or building these. You get the thick wire with minimum insulation on the short stack. Wound evenly and balanced right on, with a straight shaft that may be been from a lot of slightly harder material. All of this comes into play even when all tolerances are maintained.

If you want a very good example of this, take a look at what's going on in much larger fields of production as the auto and let's not forget smartphone industries! The words equal, similar, etc,. aren't even taken to mean the same!!

John Stewart

#19 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

I wish I lived closer to you, Billy. I'd put your car back on the track every time. :)

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#20 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,607 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

The magic word is "tolerances" here, folks. No specification is written +/- ZERO. Thus, allowed variation is built right in, as Dan noted.
  • Dan Ebert and olescratch like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!

The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#21 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

Please don't let this thread devolve into the clusterfrack like the last one :dash2: . John H (and others) has said all that can be said on this issue!

Cheers, I think. :)
  • John Streisguth and Samiam like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#22 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

Absolute consistency is impossible. It wasn't possible with hand-built and tested motors and isn't with motors made thousands per day.

Some might add that the motors vary from batch to batch... well, duh, they do. Want to fix that? It would involve getting a better design where the variables have been dealt with and a huge order for the  motors (say 100,000+ pieces).

OK... so who has the money to solve the problem? Time to put up or be quiet.

Other hobbies had the right idea where early on they standardized on a motor and didn't travel down the path slot cars have. IMHO, we should have stopped at C-can motors. Straps, cut-down C-cans, Peanut motors, and these new not-designed-for-slot-car motors have not helped one bit.

One wonders where we might be if the C-can was still the standard. I think we'd be much better off.

• Cheater, brnursebmt, Mike Patterson and 1 other like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#23 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Another post, sorry but it's slightly different subject then the previous post.

In my long racing career I had many instances where I had built motors that weren't competitive. I would just put them back into a drawer and turn my attention to the good ones. Every once in a while I might need a mule for testing, breaking-in tires, practice and I'd pull one of these motors out. Much to my surprise they'd turned into monsters while dwelling in the dark drawer. Not only were they fast but they would somehow last longer than the motors that were initially quick.

So much for consistency. 

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#24 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

Phil,

Your "better off with C-cans" comment??

It's a bit odd/non-informed.

C-cans are still around, but yet racers flock to "not designed for slot racing," sealed motor, racing classes.

• garyvmachines and olescratch like this
<p><strong>Mike Swiss</strong><em>IRRA<sup><span style="font-size:8px;">®</span></sup> Components Committee ChairmanFive-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)</em><em>Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL)</em> <strong><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://slotblog.net/...ceway-westmont/'>Chicagoland Raceway</a></strong>17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559(708) 203-8003<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='mailto:mikeswiss86@hotmail.com'>mikeswiss86@hotmail.com</a> (also my PayPal address) Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516. Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#25 wbugenis

wbugenis

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:07 PM

When I read the words "racers flock," I can't help thinking of other creatures who "flock," not noted for making thoughtful, independent decisions. Hence the need for a shepherd to keep them out of trouble.

• Geary Carrier likes this
William Bugenis

#26 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

Another post, sorry but it's slightly different subject then the previous post.

In my long racing career I had many instances where I had built motors that weren't competitive. I would just put them back into a drawer and turn my attention to the good ones. Every once in a while I might need a mule for testing, breaking-in tires, practice and I'd pull one of these motors out. Much to my surprise they'd turned into monsters while dwelling in the dark drawer. Not only were they fast but they would somehow last longer than the motors that were initially quick.

So much for consistency. 

How much do you want for that drawer? :D

• Cheater, Half Fast and Samiam like this
"Whatever..."

#27 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Phil,

Can I send you some motors to spend some time in that drawer? If it works it will obsolete "Turbo-Blasting."

Sam Levitch

Slot cars are quad-pods.

#28 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,645 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'm glad this discussion has stayed both cordial as well as mostly on-track (whew!). I *think* that there are some unrealistic expectations when it comes to this general topic. As Steve Okeefe so rightly put it:

In response I would suggest that there is no such thing as a level playing field when it comes to parts, and in particular to motors.  Some will always work better than others as they themselves have complained about.

Certainly, at least being "in the ballpark" of motor-sameness is what has made "Retro" so popular, but that's where I think people ought to let it go. When time after time (*and for decades) you see the same people generally showing up on the podium, there's a lot more going on than "what batch of motors theirs came from." In sealed motor racing, only one variable has been removed, there are countless other mechancal variables... and all of those don't even take into account the biggest variable... the driver. Even so, considering that there will always be "cherries" in a bunch of mass-produced motors and that some people will buy dozens just to get those, Steve's take on the "equal playing field" is something I couldn't agree with more. It's called "racing" because there will always be some who are just better at it and end up winning. From where I sit, I can't imagine any more "equal" motors and so affordable to boot. The winner will always be the guy who finishes the race first, not necessarily the guy who turns the fastest lap.

This one by Noose made me laugh so hard I almost had boogers flying out of nose:

My bet, just based on my own observations, is that 80% of the items used in slot racing are not consistently made the "exact same."

I do not care if it's bodies, guides, tires, or axles. Not even piano wire.

That's only because it's true! Even more, I've tried to build chassis with two pieces of piano wire bent the same way, and sometimes the stuff just won't do the same thing twice... SON-OF-A-YOU-KNOW-WHAT!

-john

• tonyp and DOCinCocoa like this
John Havlicek

#29 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

I've tried to build chassis with two pieces of piano wire bent the same way, and sometimes the stuff just won't do the same thing twice... SON-OF-A-YOU-KNOW-WHAT!

I am glad to hear that. I thought the problem was I could not do the same thing to it twice.

OK... return to the subject now.

• tonyp and olescratch like this
Eddie Fleming

#30 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

the way the Retro Hawk motors are made which in turn, can certainly affect motor consistency performance. I'll just quote what Bryan Warmack wrote and leave it at that.

C)  Different magnetic cogging?  

A little reminder, along with the JK vendor buying their wire from a wire vendor, they also buy their magnets from a magnet vendor.

I'm not surprised they might not be identical from batch to batch.

At Koford, one time (and not from China) we got a magnet material that was absolutely killer, and when we reordered, it was unusable. They said they couldn't replicate the first batch, and of course, lost our future business.

On the subject of brakes, I've heard and read off hand comments how the new 7R motors have better brakes and are running real cool.

Has anyone tried throwing more gear at the 7R motors that have run slow for them?

PS: On the subject of piano wire, along with K&S 3/32" piano wire certainly varying from batch to batch, requiring, none or some, reaming of fronts, to allow them to spin, I've bought precut brass pieces regularly from them since the start of Retro racing.

When I mentioned to them I had one batch of 1/8" brass tube gear sleeves that measured .125" OD and another, .1235", their answer was something like "And?" :)

• Cheater, tonyp and olescratch like this
<p><strong>Mike Swiss</strong><em>IRRA<sup><span style="font-size:8px;">®</span></sup> Components Committee ChairmanFive-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)</em><em>Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL)</em> <strong><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://slotblog.net/...ceway-westmont/'>Chicagoland Raceway</a></strong>17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559(708) 203-8003<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='mailto:mikeswiss86@hotmail.com'>mikeswiss86@hotmail.com</a> (also my PayPal address) Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516. Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#31 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

LOL.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#32 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

.... I would just put them back into a drawer and turn my attention to the good ones. Every once in a while I might need a mule for testing, breaking-in tires, practice and I'd pull one of these motors out. Much to my surprise they'd turned into monsters while dwelling in the dark drawer. Not only were they fast but they would somehow last longer than the motors that were initially quick.

So much for consistency. 

You mean that is a normal occurrence?

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back with an old (or so I thought) PS4002FK motor.

I thought that maybe it had been pyramided.  :)

#33 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

Since several have mentioned production tolerances as the explanation for the variation in Hawk Retro motor performance, what exactly are the tolerances? I know wire size, number of turns, etc., are specified in the IRRA® motor specs, but what about everything else? Can material and thickness, bushing material, magnet composition, arm shaft diameter and material, for example. And let's not forget arm lamination material, design, thickness and number of. Do these items have a standard spec?

If not, well, there's your answer, folks. Too many variables.

• Rick, Steve Deiters, Tim Neja and 1 other like this

We all need to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

#34 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:33 PM

The magic drawer is no longer. The desk it was in met a very untimely demise by a lightning strike. Something about being unholy. :D

• John Streisguth likes this

Posted Image

#35 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:41 PM

You mean that is a normal occurrence?

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back with an old (or so I thought) PS4002FK motor.

I thought that maybe it had been pyramided.  :)

It seems that did happen occasionally. Just keep yours away from windows on dark stormy days. :laugh2:

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 9.39.52 PM.png

The darker it is the better it works. If you listen closely there's some chanting and you'll smell the scent of burnt armatures coming from it.

Posted Image

#36 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

More on this. I'm surprised no one has spent much time on this:

Actually, the fact that some will buy a whole bunch of the "FK" Chinese motors to find one or two cherries 

... and put differently by Steve O'Keefe:

Some years ago at my local raceway (now defunct) it was very common to hear racers complain endlessly about "Chinese junk" motors, and how "you had to buy 10 just to get one that runs well".

While it's true that all sorts of variables make it impossible for motors to be truly "consistent," the fact that people (at least some?) will go through so many to find stand-outs, could be seen as proof of how consistent the motors are *because they are actually looking for the few on the high end of the bell curve!

• Tex and DOCinCocoa like this
John Havlicek

#37 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,801 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

Correct. the vast majority are consistent... just not "stand-outs". The problem is that most people want them ALL to be "stand-outs." Then you're back in the same ballpark... all consistent "stand-outs" with people buying dozens to find the one "super stand-out". LOL.
  • tonyp, havlicek, DOCinCocoa and 2 others like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#38 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

Regardless of what type of motor it is, cheap Chinese or handbuilts, there never be equal performance motor to motor. I'd rather chase a good $13 motor than a $50 one.
  • Tex, havlicek, DOCinCocoa and 3 others like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#39 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:39 AM

Since several have mentioned production tolerances as the explanation for the variation in Hawk Retro motor performance, what exactly are the tolerances? I know wire size, number of turns, etc., are specified in the IRRA® motor specs, but what about everything else? Can material and thickness, bushing material, magnet composition, arm shaft diameter and material, for example. And let's not forget arm lamination material, design, thickness and number of. Do these items have a standard spec?

No, because quite frankly IRRA® simply doesn't have the pull or power to affect these specifications, primarily because of the small number of motors ordered to satisfy our little niche market. Keep in mind that these motors are a standard form factor motor listed in almost all of the Chinese motor makers' catalogs that can be ordered with a specified wind and likely very few other options.

If any of the additional specs you mentioned had changed, I believe the sharp Mr. Warmack would have noted that in his list in that other thread. And he did not.

One hobby notable with significant experience in sourcing motors for the hobby from Chinese makers has suggested privately that vendors producing motors for the slot car market are smaller manufacturers who target the business that Mabuchi isn't interested in because of the small volumes. He believes they're basically winding and assembly shops and that most if not all source their components from a single larger maker, possibly Mabuchi China. (Though based in Japan, Mabuchi has 13 factories in various countries.)

• Tex, tonyp, Mike Patterson and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

#40 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Randy Kohr just TQ'd the GTC-FK (non-pro) 7R hand-out race with a 5.26.

Matt Bruce TQ'd the non-driver restricted Coupe race earlier in the week using a 7R with a 5.25.

A few things to add;
1) Randy is a top racer.
2) Noose volunteered the track is in top condition.

Noose also added Ed Sohl had an F1 flying with a 7R.

So there is still info that needs to be known.

But I personally will take from this that the person who brought the 7R situation into the limelight, made his (paraphrasing) "all are .4 slower" and "they can't be raced with older motors" comments as hyperbole, meant to stir up the easily stirred up on FB.

• Noose, tonyp, B.C. and 1 other like this

#41 swodem

swodem

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

I can take my time, wind and build ten motors, be as careful as I can doing them all the same, use the same basic components, do the same assembly... and wind up with noticeable variations (on the power supply anyway) between them.

I'd just like to inject a little dispassionate reality into the whole question around these things. Now, take that same premise, but apply it to a batch of maybe (?) a hundred thousand or so motors mass-produced to meet a low price point, and I find it shocking that the variations aren't huge!

Actually, the fact that some will buy a whole bunch of the "FK" Chinese motors to find one or two cherries only underscores how consistent (generally-speaking) the motors are.

This is a great post and all FK racers should read this slowly and think about it. Even handmade motors vary.

Our local governing body is about to release voting on whether we move (backwards) from PS4002FK to Hawk 7. They both have their pros and cons, but my view at least is you get a good long life out of a 4002, compared to the two-maybe-three races of a H7. So cheaper, easier, and more consistent. Yes, the H7 is nicer power. But there are fast and slow in all of them and most slow 4002s with a little effort can be coaxed back to being 'average' where a H7 if its average there's nothing legal can be done. 

#42 smichslot

smichslot

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

Consistency???

I perfectly understand why racers want all the motor in any given class to be absolutely the same. To most racer this appears to be a fair basis for close racing, and they are probably right. At least to some degree.

Let's imagine that we allow a tolerance of 1%.

The manufaturer of the motors will immediately ask:

OK, you know that we will have to reject a lot of parts, which will make the cost increase. And then you will also have to pay for our efforts spent when sorting the parts in our incoming inspection, right?

Of course!!!!

Then the manufacturer will ask: since you accept a maximum tolerance of 1% I presume that you accept 1% tolerance on the wire thickness, the strength of the magnets, the distance of the magnets to the armature, the alignment along the armature axis, the total lenght of the wire used to wind the armature, the resistance in the brushes, the position of the brushes, the spring pressure on the brushes, the alignment of the bushings, the opening in the bushings, the straightness of the axel of the armature, and yakityakityyakityyakityyak.

The acceptance of a 1% tolerance all these places can easily result in a performance-loss of several percent if the tolerances all fall in the wrong direction. And they can result in an increase of performance if they fall in the other direction.

I don't think that any of the racers are really prepared to pay for 0.1% tolerances. It's probably cheaper to buy 50 motors and do the testing to find the silver bullet.

And the bottom line is that it doesn't matter. The really good guys are able to win with one of the motors that has been tossed by a mid-pack-racer.

Get over it. It's only toy cars!

Steen

• Cheater, B.C., DOCinCocoa and 1 other like this
Steen Michaelsen

#43 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:20 PM

Excellent post, Steen!

Gregory Wells

#44 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Randy Kohr just TQ'd the GTC-FK (non-pro) 7R hand-out race with a 5.26.

Matt Bruce TQ'd the non-driver restricted Coupe race earlier in the week using a 7R with a 5.25.

A few things to add;
1) Randy is a top racer.
2) Noose volunteered the track is in top condition.

Noose also added Ed Sohl had an F1 flying with a 7R.

So there is still info that needs to be known.

But I personally will take from this that the person who brought the 7R situation into the limelight, made his (paraphrasing) "all are .4 slower" and "they can't be raced with older motors" comments as hyperbole, meant to stir up the easily stirred up on FB.

Just for your info, Swiss. Matt and Howie were not running their good race motors or cars in the warm-up race.

Also, no matter how much you try to spin it even JK has said the new motors may be slower then the last batch.

That the new motors appear to be more constant will far outweigh them possibly being a bit slower in the long run. If indeed they have better brakes and run cooler they may be able to pick up the lost speed with a tooth smaller crown gear. 9/27 instead of 9/28 as you suggested. Or maybe with better brakes you maybe able to run harder into the corners.  

Smart racers will find a way to compete with them. I am sure of that.

Regards,

GVP  

• Tim Neja likes this

#45 swodem

swodem

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Having perfectly equal motors is only one thing in a long line of variables that make for fast lap times, such as

• Drive train efficiency (gear quality, mesh, bearings/bushing accuracy and quality, axle quality)
  • Electrical efficiency (braid cleanliness, lead wire conductivity, and solder joint quality)
  • Controller 
  • Tyres, choice of and concentricity
  • Chassis Handling and set-up, weight
  • Gear ratio (I bet there are people out there with awesome motors geared all wrong)
  • Body choice and mounting
  • Driver skill and track knowledge (some times you're just out-gunned!!)

I'd work on making sure all the above are perfect before crying that someone else seems to have a motor that makes their lap times 3% better...

• Cheater, DOCinCocoa and Samiam like this

#46 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

GVP,

That's fine.

And Randy just went 5.23, two heats in a row. Steve L just ran .16 faster than he did in the warm-up.

I'm sure the track is awesome.

But as my earlier post mentions, I think the notion that a "red-haired step child class" needed to be created for the "poor" 7R was a bit premature.

#47 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,607 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Well, so far in GTC-FK Randy Kohr has set new lap time records on every lane he has run.

• MSwiss likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#48 B.C.

B.C.

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

Don't let that get out - what will there be to bitch about? Or to start another new motor thread whining about perceived inequities in someone's 13 dollar motors.

Brian C. Bays

#49 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:05 PM

You can specify most of these variables to John when having a custom H-Power motor built. But when you are buying $13 motors all you get is number of winds, thickness of wire, timing, and magnet type.

John,

How are you coming along with my order? :D

Sam Levitch

Slot cars are quad-pods.

#50 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

From the Fall Brawl GTC-Pro FK race with handout 7R motors.

In qualifying, there was only a .068 spread, from 1st-8th, and the spread from 1st-12th, was only .103,

In the race, a total lap record was set, and only two laps separated 1st-5th and 8 laps, 1st through 8th.

In comparison, at the last big Retro race, the Boola Bash, using any circa Hawk Retro, or Falcon 7, in qualifying, the spread from 1st-8th, was .179, and the spread from 1st-12th was .269.

In the race, 10 laps separated 1st-5th and 15 laps, 1st through 8th.

On the longer 220' SpeedZone Engleman, the slower/"longer" qualifying times should vary more, but the lap totals (on the longer lap length) should be a bit closer.

Regardless, with these 7R handouts, the results were way more consistent, just like Tim was shooting for when tightening up the tolerances.

And the track records in qualifying, single race lap time, and total laps, certainly DOESN'T indicate that a top 7R motor doesn't stand a chance against a top, older motor, as some guys were trying to interpret from Tim's dyno/non-real world graphs.

The above isn't any proof that maybe there are slow/small wire ones. (Please note the non ra-ra/non-positive, but realistic statement.)

But at least in the tray SpeedZone got, they appear to be "normal"/plenty fast, and more importantly, not mixed.

• Cheater and tonyp like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop