58 replies to this topic

#51 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

Well, here is how I see the situation.

We all want that one or two out of 50 to 100 that just end up ballistic The racers that get them either get lucky when they buy one or so motors. The other way is buying 20 or more motors. Heck, it makes money for the track owner and we keep a place to race, the rest of the motors that are not ballistic are about as equal as can be.

One of the best motors I ever had, aside from rewinds from the old days, was a Champion X12. Walked in the raceway, bought new chassis, motor off shelf, used an old wing body, didn't even have time to break in motor. Set up chassis and went and qualified second. By the second heat it was the fastest on the track. It stayed that way for three races then needed refurbing and was never the bullet it was that night; fast but not the same.

We love our hobby and yes, we want to go faster than the guy next to us, but just being there with friends is the adrenaline fix I need.

See ya'll soon I hope at a track near you...

Kim

• Cheater, havlicek and DOCinCocoa like this

#52 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Guys were certainly happy with their 7Rs in the hand-out GTC races at the Fall Brawl.

Only two laps separated the top 5\five guys in GTC-Pro, and records were shattered in both that race and the earlier GTC-FK race.

But, with all the motors the same, and with the track in its best shape ever, the records might have all been relative.

But, on Sunday in Can-Am, Jimmy Williams ran his other 7R hand-out, so it went up against the top earlier circa motors, from arguably the strongest Retro field this year. He won the B Main, and the motor was strong enough to still finish thirdrd in the A Main.

His B Main, 280 lap total, was the second highest of the day on Sunday, only two laps less than Matt Bruce's winning total in the A Main, apparently running an ink stamped "MADE IN CHINA" motor.

So despite the differences Bryan listed above, personally I would say, that it's been proven, without a doubt, there are 7R motors that will run with the older circa motors, and they can all compete against each other.

I'm going to get a few of the 7R hand-outs from the race that ran well, to see how they meter compared to the couple 7R motors I've already checked.
  • Cheater, tonyp, JerseyJohn and 2 others like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#53 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,421 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like no controversy at all.  Good--- I"m not sure what Tim found-- but good there was no indication of major problems with them. Perhaps the sampling size is too small?  Congrats to all the Fall Brawl racers!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#54 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

As mentioned, I'm still going to meter those hand-outs to see if they are the same, to try to figure out if there might be two wire sizes.

• tonyp, Tim Neja, kvanpelt and 2 others like this

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#55 CDavis7

CDavis7

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

As the OP of the "Motor Question" thread, I'd like to chime in here on some things I've learned and realized and some things we already knew:

1. While the IRRA® BoD does have this forum as a place for discussion, perhaps some questions are best done in a PM.

2. Tim at JK is an awesome dude who is is supporting our hobby at personal financial risk and is working hard to provide that support in the best ways possible. Thanks, Tim!

3. Little DC motors have incredible variances in on track performance even when tolerances are tight. In 16D racing, I used to have between 8-16 motors for any given event and even when air gap and gauss were nearly identical, on track performance could be very different.

Finally, I'm lucky to have a track near by and another one potentially opening soon. We have volunteers who organize events for us. Thank you! So the next time I have a worry about a motor, chassis, or body issue, I will likely send a PM first. I might still cry in my Cheerios though.  :-)

I'd be racing this weekend except for the fact that I get to visit my son since he doesn't have Reserves Drill. On both accounts, I'm thankful.

Thank goodness we have these toy cars to play with.

Best regards,

CD

• Cheater, MSwiss, Tim Neja and 2 others like this
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#56 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

Well said, Chris!! :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#57 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

Ditto.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#58 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

As mentioned, I'm still going to meter those hand-outs to see if they are the same, to try to figure out if there might be two wire sizes.

Would you like two that weren't so good? (seriously...). I had one that was an absolute dog, the better of the two I purchased still lagged behind everyone else by about 3 tenths in qualifying. I would really like to know if there was an issue with these particular motors, or if I was just unlucky enough to have two dogs.

"Whatever..."

#59 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

I'll be happy to check them.

Mike Swiss

Electric Dreams Online Shop