• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dt38k

Dt38k

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

I have had no response from Steve Ogilvie or from the Trackmate company so I'm trying this route so that I can proceed on getting my commercial tracks set up

On the track, it was stated from the previous owner that it was a 140' hill climb, but he is deceased The track number is 452 if that helps, track looks like a handlebar mustache.

The straights are in two halves, one measures 19', the other 18' and the corners coming from the straights also have some straight in them. The loop corners look to be at least 8' in diameter, hard to determine since they are stacked upright at the momentI'm guessing a footprint of around 18 wide by 30 long, but would like a good number to start with since my shop is already full.

The track has an Autotrack 2 system and a LapMaster track seller program attached No info on Autotrack, no longer supported; plenty info from LapMaster, spoke with them and they are very helpful.

I'm not going to be renting track time, so I will remove this program and sell it at a later date with the exception that it does have a full track manage system along with a drag program that I might want to keep.

On the Trackmate, it is a Drag Pro version but I don't know which one. They have several and all I have is a floppy disc with Drag pro and their phone number hand written on it.

The strip is complete with the components still intact but the tree is missing, pictures show that it was the large one.

Anyone that has this style of track or any of these systems, that would be willing to share some knowledge, I would appreciate it, to make this an easier project.

There were five tracks total, three that are missing, but it looks like I have software, hardware, and wiring for all of them in my possession, so I'm sure you can imagine the rat's nest I have to sort out.

I need to take the computers somewhere locally to have them gone through, been in storage for over eight years.

Randy Phillippe

#2 Racer36

Racer36

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

My Ogilvie hillclimb had a footprint of 14 x 32. I suspect a 140 foot version would be around 15 x 40 or more, depending on how far the lower straight is tucked under the upper. The statement that it looks like a handlebar makes me wonder if you might have an Engleman. Lay it out on the ground and post a picture.

Steve is on here and you should be able to reach him. Trying to reach him through the old website or that phone number is futile as he has been away from that side of the company for many years. He will be very helpful if you reach him.

Cheers.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#3 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

The best way to reach me is with a PM here on Slotblog. The track sounds a small Engleman style, probably a Grandstand style (main straights partially stacked). We did not keep detailed records of what we built and for whom.

If you have a picture, post it and I can ID it that way. The Autotrack system became obsolete when we could no longer buy DOS-based PCs. It was just too much money to make it Windows based. But if it came with the old computer, it may still work.

Do not rip the wiring off the tracks - our tracks are modular wired and compatible with newer lap counting/time selling systems.

If you want someone to help you get them running, give Donn Bryans a call at (386) 756-6564. We have worked together for over 25 years. He can get you running.

#4 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

Good to have Olgilvie on here, isn't it?
  • Racer36 and Dt38k like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#5 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

FYI:   Trackmate:  trackmateracing,com       877-756-8227 (toll free?);  or 604-582-1946    The current models are DP 2000 and DP 3000.  The main differences is how many sensors are in the kit.  The DP 3000 has all the sensors for everything.  The DP 2000 only has staging and finish line sensors.  Since you have an 'older kit', it might be the original DP 1000.  I would think that all of the hardware you have would be compatable with the newest software. 

Track shapes:  The hillclimb , grandstand, and  kingleman share layout design in that the bank is at the opposite end from the donut. The MAIN difference is in how the two straights are related.  Hillclimb is over and under.  Grandstand is stacked to expose the lower level.  The kingleman has the two straights side by side.

Match the legs up to the sections and assemble them to the sections and the relative positions will be very apparent.  The width of each layout will vary with the Hill climb the narrowest and the Kingleman the widest....

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#6 Jeff Bechtel

Jeff Bechtel

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

My Ogilvie Grandstand was 14'x39'.  It was 135' in lap length.

#7 Dt38k

Dt38k

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:59 AM

Don at trackmate and I are on board for me to place an order this Monday for what was stolen from the storage facility from the 72' dragstrip, good so far
The computers that were left by the thieves are the old dos models with trackmate, auto track 2, and lanemaster boards installed and even two sets of the lanemaster track time modules, oh and a drag slot coin box that had me going for awhile
I haven't figured how to get a picture to you, I have to giggle about the suggestion to lay it out and take a picture, man, I'm not Hercules, this pup is 17 sections, which are not light, and I'm wore out moving wood for this last week just tying to get it stored in my shop by myself after the hauler helped me get it inside
It looks to be close to the one reply of 14 x 40 by a tape measure and a half a clue idea of what it should be by putting two lower end sections together which measured over 11 x 12 feet by themselves
There are a couple of pictures on flicker, of the 5 tracks before they were moved, 3 are missing and presumed lost
I did a google search under "slots of fun raceway in Harrison Arkansas" and located some partial photos of both the orange drag strip and the grey hillclimb of steves
Randy Phillippe

#8 Dt38k

Dt38k

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:11 AM

FYI:   Trackmate:  trackmateracing,com       877-756-8227 (toll free?);  or 604-582-1946    The current models are DP 2000 and DP 3000.  The main differences is how many sensors are in the kit.  The DP 3000 has all the sensors for everything.  The DP 2000 only has staging and finish line sensors.  Since you have an 'older kit', it might be the original DP 1000.  I would think that all of the hardware you have would be compatable with the newest software. 

Track shapes:  The hillclimb , grandstand, and  kingleman share layout design in that the bank is at the opposite end from the donut. The MAIN difference is in how the two straights are related.  Hillclimb is over and under.  Grandstand is stacked to expose the lower level.  The kingleman has the two straights side by side.

Match the legs up to the sections and assemble them to the sections and the relative positions will be very apparent.  The width of each layout will vary with the Hill climb the narrowest and the Kingleman the widest....

Hello, Larry and thanks for giving it another shot
From your description of the designs, this track is a grandstand model because I can see both straights above each other with supports from the lower lever supporting the upper level
Like some I have seen with the hillclimb title, this track looked to have a donut at both ends of straights, but without a full picture and basically little knowledge I gave it the wrong name
Hopefully someone can do the google search for me and post the pictures and solve the mystery
Randy Phillippe

#9 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

It looks like you have stated both Lap Master and Lanemaster for the road course. Just an opinion, our club has both Track Mate and Lap Master. Lap Master is liked more by the racers because of features like a Prediction of Total laps for each driver to kind of give you an idea how the race is developing. It also has a qualifying mode, race stats at the end end so each driver can see their fast lap, their potential laps in percentage (what they could have run at 100% vs Actual), and laps turned in each lane.

It also has timed practice session so you can set it for what ever length you want and the power goes off at the end of that time. Then it automatically asks the drivers to change lanes. This keeps things moving and eliminates the guys who stays on one lane forever.

Track Mate works as well and we have several tracks with that system.

Like I said, just an opinion. Good luck with your effort.

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#10 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:26 PM

LapMaster is a rather NEW (past 10 years) timing system compared to Lanemaster, which (like SRT) would run in DOS and not current Windows.  That coin box could be left over from an earlier Triktrax/Dragtrax timing system (pre-DOS).

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#11 Dt38k

Dt38k

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Once again, my mistake, these are lane master systems, one card is installed in a dos? computer, the other is loose with a bad resistor and then there are two lanemaster time sell boxes for selling track time loose
One note, there is a drag chip on both boards, but no mention of it in the set up manual
The auto track two card is in a Hewlett-Packard computer that is windows NT and 98
This is the system installed on the ogilvie track, which might be the original
Then the last set of cards from trackmate are in the third tower, installation manual says use 386, 486, or newer
These cards and cords are marked 278 and 3BC and the floppy is marked drag pro which from what I'm understanding
is a version that came out that could use sensors in the lane instead of light bars
Bad news is, that's all I have for it, would need schematics to build a control center board and control boards going to the tree
I'm going to look for a monitor that will possibly work on these three so I can pull up what is actually there
I'm retired, I have more time than money and can't turn away from a challenge
Last, I have 2 pyramid adjustable power units that will cover steady 40 amps and a surge of 50 amps, not sure if they had one hooked
to the whole track or or just 4 lanes
Randy Phillippe

Electric Dreams Online Shop