• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

Looking for some clarification on Cox Superscale cars.

I've a chassis called, I think, superscale: Anglewinder, small square motor, plastic center portion with metal pans on either side. They type that came under the Porsche, 240Z, etc. Probably more 1/36 scale, AND I also have a much larger, actual 1/32 or maybe even a tad bigger, can am car also called Superscale. Anglewinder plastic with the can motor.

I've been able to locate fresh urethane tires for the smaller chassis, not sure what to ask for when I reach out to the usual urethane tire suppliers for the larger car. Simply calling them Superscale doesn't address their profound difference in size.

Hopefully Doc PDL will chime in, as I believe he designed the darn things!

Todd Brace

#2 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

Todd, I think you are right. I believe P did design those cars when he was at Cox/Eldon/Leisure Time. It's been a few years, but the last of those cars I had (the Indy cars) actually performed pretty good for mass produced cheap set cars. The Manta is the neatest of the bunch and I think that was his original design also. Maybe P will give a little more info on them. I think there were the two Indy cars, an Matador? and maybe a Chevelle? I just don't remember the full line.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Todd, I think you are right. I believe P did design those cars when he was at Cox/Eldon/Leisure Time. It's been a few years, but the last of those cars I had (the Indy cars) actually performed pretty good for mass produced cheap set cars. The Manta is the neatest of the bunch and I think that was his original design also. Maybe P will give a little more info on them. I think there were the two Indy cars, an Matador? and maybe a Chevelle? I just don't remember the full line.

Thanks, Matt. I reread my original post and realized I wasn't so clear on my 'ask.'

I'm looking for some urethane tires to fit the larger, closer to 1/32 scale Super Scale cars (the one with the plastic angle winder/no 'bat' pans, and with the can motor). I need to know what specifically to look for with the usual suppliers, as when I ask if they have Super Scale tires, they refer to the smaller, 1/40 or 1/36 scale cars.

Todd Brace

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,437 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

There are two types of Cox "Superscale" cars. The first type was a rather large 1/32 scale and were in fact, the inherited Eldon program dumped on Cox by holding company Leisure Dynamics.

The cars were a pair of dune buggies, a Camaro, and a Mustang GT, a Porsche 917-30 and a McLaren M20. All use a very basic plastic anglewinder chassis, a large Mabuchi "15R," motor and truly ugly wheels, tires, and bodies. They also run terribly bad on the old Eldon track and did not sell well. 

The second series came in 1973, and are small 1/40 scale cars using the same plastic track but with greatly enhanced steel rails ends, stopping the braided contacts destruction common with the old Eldon track system. 

The new cars used a glass-filled nylon chassis, a plated steel body mount, a smaller Mabuchi ST20 motor, flat brass lead wires, and a diode system allowing two cars on the same lane (early digital!).

A special track section allowed cars to switch lane by blipping the throttle on the controller.

The cars were a Datsun 240Z, a Porsche RSR, NASCAR Chevy Chevelle and AMC Matador, and USAC McLaren M16 and Eagle-Offy.
After a short while and a lot of convincing, these cars were the world's first to receive a traction magnet to provide downforce to the rear tires.

You can see the story of these cars HERE

Not sure where to get tires for the older type... these do not have "bat pans." If someone needs tires for the smaller cars, I have some, PM me. 

#5 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info, Dok.

Was hoping Paul Gage would have urethanes for it, but he's been out of pocket for some time.

Found a source in France who has the correct tires in urethane.

• TSR likes this
Todd Brace

Electric Dreams Online Shop