9 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

While I'm still deep into modern D motor territory, I had an "extra" doublewind (a #30) arm I built for one of these laying around, so I built up another of Dave Cummerow's donated ProSlots with an extra detail.

Having seen (well, "felt") a perceived increase in field using an old Mabuchi Russkit 22/23 type can, I decided to do the opposite of what folks did "back in the day" when they modified cans.  While they most often cut out large chunks, modern cans have already been "hacked" by the factory in an effort to shed weight and get things as compact as possible.  I wanted to add some metal to see if I could get some beneficial extra field strength.  Looking around, I had some thin spring steel (around .011") and cut a couple of pieces.  I figured, how hard could it be?, which is something I often ask myself before I find out it isn't as easy...not near as easy as I had imagined.   :D

So, my intention here was to have the end result look at least close to "factory" as possible without covering up my hackery with paint and bondo.  I also wanted to preserve Dave's engraving, as a "tip of the hat" to him for donating the motor to the cause.  I won't bore you with the details, but it was pretty finicky to "git 'er dun", and the magnets needed a slight notch on their flat tops and bottoms to go in aftewards, because the metal hung slightly lower than the old built-in magnet clips I cut out.

While not up to some of the gorgeous scratchbuilt chassis illustrated right here on SlotBlog, I think it came out pretty good, if I do say so myself:

IMG_1820_zpsh8adyf0o.jpgIMG_1821_zps95h0xew0.jpg

While I was at it, I installed a can bearing just for giggles before installing a set of shims and epoxying-in the magnets.  The hole is set at around .534", so the arm will only get a light "cleanup" or "skin" grind when being balanced.  With a doublewind that's somewhere in the G20 neighborhood to provide the motivation, I think the old girl will sing soprano when she gets her voice back.   :D  It will only need some minor stuff done to the end bell/hardware, but it's Thanksgiving, so we're off to the inlaws to eat too much.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

-john

• Jairus, slotbaker, race301 and 4 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,128 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

So pretty, so very pretty.... :heart: :yes3:

• havlicek likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

Hey thanks Jairus.  This type motor has been popular, is inexpensive and easy-to-get, so I figure why not treat them as I would the old ones.  

-john

John Havlicek

#4 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,128 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

I finished up a long range motor my self.  I'll have to post you some pictures later.  Very vintage korrect... *wink, wink, nod, nod* ^_^

• havlicek likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

Cool Jairus...but what's a "long range motor"?

-john

John Havlicek

#6 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,128 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

Sorry, long range motor project.
We were leaving to go to my brothers for Thanksgiving when I typed that and was in a hurry.

I have a lot of projects that are things I am always searching for the correct vintage part to finish.
The motor was a replica of a Cukras pink can "A" motor.
John Cukras sent me two of his stickers and I printed up a set of flower decals for the other side.
But the only thing missing was the thick can bearing and a correct arm.
Took about 3 years to come by both just during the last two months.
Motor was finished last night and it sings like an angel!

Now to build a car and that will take the right wheels, tires, body.... blah, blah, blah.
That's a "long range project" and I got a bunch of them.

• havlicek likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Ah...now I get it!  Cool motor alright.  Those Mura A parts are like hen's teeth.  I have a motor here that I finished up but ran poorly, so I put it aside for another day.  Most likely the issue is with both bushings, and getting pristine replacements is all-but-impossible.  Anyway, I'm sure the car will be just as cool as the motor when you get done doing your magic!

-john

John Havlicek

#8 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

Very nice, John, as always. I never expected my old, worn out sealed motors to be anything but piles of parts! 

• havlicek likes this
David Cummerow

#9 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Dave...whenever you have "parts" (D or C), I'm always happy to find them a new home and a new life!  :D

-john

John Havlicek

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

With a bunch of arms back from grinding and balancing, it's assembly day at the (in my best Boris Karloff) "la-BOR-a-tory".  I got this baby all done up and it's just an awfully sweet motor.  The motor runs super fast and smooth, with very low current draw, staying dead-cool.  It's (for me) pretty much what a doublewind is all about!  I can't say whether the extra can metal helps with the field or not (*I think it should), but in any case it adds a little "hey, what kind of motor is that?" to what was a familiar D motor.  I was doing leads on another motor, so I stuck a set on here as well.

IMG_1874_zpshnvbe0lt.jpg

-john

• boxerdog, olescratch and C. J. Bupgoo like this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop