• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

I find the a part #3389 listed for the rear axle bearings in the Gurney chassis kit instruction sheet.
A bulk if not all (except the iso-fulcrum) other chassis list a part #3388 as the rear axle bearings.
However, the Cox parts catalog lists only the #3388 as their rear wheel bearing (no reference to a #3389).
Is their a 3389 bearing or maybe a misprint?
I can find the #3388s....
Can anyone clarify...???
Thanks
Chuck Tresp

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,916 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Not me. But if you can show photos of the parts you are looking for some of us may have what you need.

Paul Wolcott

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

I think the regular part number is 3838. Just sold these.

http://www.ebay.com/...g4AAOSw4shX7rpX

Don't have any Gurneys here at present but I find it highly unlikely that Cox made an error. They did everything in house including printing their own literature.

Don't now what it is but there is probably a difference. 

Joe Lupo

#4 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hey Lone.....I am familiar with the Iso Torrington (roller) bearing.
The bearing on the Gurney is a typical looking friction-style bearing.
It is colored graphite and is flanged on the outside edge like the other a-typical rear bearings you see on the magnesium-framed car.
Since the ID is the same, I can only suspect that the OD is slightly different or the length of the bearing is different.
My problem is that the Gurney is the only Cox car I have...if I had another Cox, I could remove & compare bearings.
Chuck Tresp

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

It is not graphite, but Nylon with 30% fiberglass. That bushing was made for the late-production IFC cars (Super Cuc), the Lola T70 and the Galaxie. But it did not last long and the last cars had bronze bushings.
A regular flanged 1/8" I.D.  bronze bushing from most 1960s period slot cars fit fine in all these chassis.
The early Torrington roller bearings sold separately but NEVER used on a Cox RTR car or kit are not very good and are too sloppy both on the chassis and the axle.
The first La Cucaracha had a more sophisticated, silver plated flanged needle bearings, but even these were a bit sloppy on the axle.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

Electric Dreams Online Shop