6 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

Sooo, having gone over my thinking on why it's OK to be not so correct when thinking about doing a "vintage style" project, here's another. So, maybe you have one of these cans lying around:

IMG_1827_zpshsokorqn.jpg

You might think of this as a Green Can with different holes, and you'd be correct. Everything about this can is exactly the same... except for the holes. Of course, having different holes puts it in a different "desireability" class, but you can build a perfectly fine "period analog" for a classic Green Can motor with this as your base.

A little spit and polish, cleaning up the magnets that were already in there (whatever they were), a Professor Motor endbell and... bam!

IMG_1826_zpsatdoeqac.jpg

Now you're even closer to a classic (and pricey/hard to source) motor that will still just drop right in to a vintage recreation, and without having to worry so much. As always, I'll wind the arm just because, well, just because I can, but this isn't about that at all. Any arm that fits and works is "just right"... and that's a lot of arms!

Now you only ( :D ) have to fire up the soldering iron and motorized hand tool, dust off that chassis jig, and have at it! Well, you could also have someone else do all that, too!

-john

• Jencar17, B.C., Samiam and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:36 PM

John,

What is the thickness of the can?

I think there were thin cans with this configuration.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Schlain

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi Bob,

These are the same as the two hole (Green) cans and the Trinity cans that I have... around .028", give or take a thousandth here or there.

The B cans are ridiculous, at least the ones that aren't milled down on the flats... I have a few of those (I think), and they're somewhere close to .040". There may be thinner versions out there, as it seems there was an almost unlimited number of Muras and Mura-produced cans... who knows?

Anyway, these ones I have are all around the same.

-john
John Havlicek

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,184 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

Bob,

I only have one of this style can and it isn't thin. I don't think any of my other Mura C-cans are either, but thin ones may exist. In the early '70s I had a Champion C-can surface ground top and bottom to .020" and I turned the can sides to .015". This thin csrtup was built to be used when C&C started running the Grp. 20 class, but in the first race it ran ungodly hot. I never ran it again but I still have it around someplace. I ran Grp 20 using my regular open C-can setups, but not very successfully.

Bill Fernald

Used puppets for sale!

No springs attached.

#5 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

I remember (and still have a few) from when I started Boxstock in the early '90s. I think after RJR changed the world of motors Mura made a thinner or lighter version to try to remain relevant.

I remember the thinned-down Champion cans of the '70s. For Group 20 at that time I was using a standard Group 7 setup with stupid gearing (12/38).
Bob Schlain

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

I remember (and still have a few) from when I started Boxstock in the early 90's. I think after RJR changed the world of motors Mura made a thinner or lighter version to try to remain relevant.

Could be... or could be that this was done by someone else to some Mura cans.

-john

John Havlicek

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

... anyway back on the motor. It will get a 21/25. I figure, if you're going to experience the "golden era" on a budget, you ought to get the full monty!

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop