2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

A few of these surfaced yesterday at the SCRRA races at BPR in Southern CA. The usual old style scallop shaped grinding for balancing but also together with the new drilled hole style. This particular one also had small but noticeable flats at the very bottom of the ground areas.

Also the MADE IN CHINA is etched very clearly but the 7R7R on the other side is extremely faint and can hardly be seen at all.

Not saying anything is wrong with this, just letting the Retro community know another Hawk balancing variation is floating around...  :)

RSCN1751.JPG

• Tex, Dallas Racer and Brian Cochrane like this

#2 JK Products

JK Products

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

Hi Bryan,

If you would have asked before posting, I would have explained that what you are seeing is exactly one of the process changes that results in lower variability.

As explained previously, JK Products Retro 7R and 7 motors are now 100% robotically computer balanced. They are the only motors in the industry that are 100% computer balanced. This is an internal processing/tolerance change, not a major product specification change. The IRRA® board was informed of this process improvement and other process tolerance improvements, all designed to reduce variability and make our motors the most consistent motors in the industry.

In the past, all our armatures were hand balanced, like some of our competitors. As you can imagine, this hand balancing was not nearly as consistent as an automated machine can be. Not only that, the automatic balancing can balance to a much tighter tolerance using much smaller corrections than are available using hand balancing. That is what you are seeing in your photograph. Notching for larger changes, and very small drill holes for even better balancing than ever before.

I will have a detailed balancing post on our Facebook page later today, including a video of the process that you might find interesting.

Finally, if anyone thinks they have found a problem with any of our products, please grant me the courtesy of contacting me first by email; I will always respond. If I don’t satisfy your concerns, feel free then to express them on social media.

• Cheater, Mike K, Howie Ursaner and 17 others like this
Tim Homola
JK Products

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,366 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

OK, I've cleared all of the posts in this thread except Bryan's OP and Tim's reply. Most of the others (even my own) were largely off-topic and what's left is all that needs to be said about this non-issue.

• Zippity, MSwiss, Half Fast and 3 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop