• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

I am building a few hard body 1/25 cars to resemble cars of the '60s muscle car era.

The particular car on my table is a '60s Chevrolet muscle car on an H&R RTR chassis. I am using the wheels supplied with the chassis (and/or wider same-size H&R rear wheels).

My desire in the detail is to add a set of body-colored steels wheel inserts with a chrome "poverty" cap.

I am interested in know how you fellow builders/racers achieve this "look". I have seen both steel wheel inserts in the 1/25 model car kit section as well as chromed resin poverty caps.

I would like to know how what methods you use to fit the steel wheel disc into the slot car wheel.

Some of the wide slot wheels (especially the rears) would allow the wheel insert too far down into the wheel... plus considerations for some axle ends that protrude outward from the slot wheel center could create a problem. I would like the steel wheel insert to sit close to the outer edge of the slot wheel rim.

I want to obtain the "1:1 car look" and am looking for some simplistic ideas...

Chuck Tresp

#2 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

Took me a little while to find this, but in post 1272 HERE I used 3/8" metal hole inserts for the wheels.

Just be careful if you use plastic rims, as you can distort the rim with too much pressure on the prongs from the hole inserts.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

Electric Dreams Online Shop