• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

I picked up an AMT 1966 Mercury Cyclone 1/24" Pace Car. I am unsure if it was a factory assembled RTR car in that their is an assembly instruction sheet in the bottom of the box.
I noticed that the chassis fits loosely with the body even though the four mounting screws are fully tightened.
In looking things over, I see that the four screw inserts in the left & right side mounting blocks stick up about 2/32" out of their holes. The instruction sheet says they should be squeezed into the mounting blocks with a set of pliers.....but with no reference to depth.
It seems that if these inserts were flush, the chassis would lay flat on the blocks allowing the screw to be tightened fully securing the chassis.
If anyone has one of these cars could you tell me if any portion of the four screw inserts protrude from the mounting block...or......if the screw inserts are flush with the mounting block surfaces...???
I do not want to unknowingly compress the inserts and/or the block and do any damage to the body or mounting system.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chuck Tresp

#2 zipper

zipper

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:38 AM

I have a faint memory the inserts should be pressed totally into the holes so thy are flush with the plastic.

Pekka Sippola

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Chuck, I have two factory built cars. Both have the inserts flush with the mount. You can also CAREFULLY sink the mounts in by putting a screw in them and touching it with a soldering iron in short increments. Don't apply to much heat if you do it this way. 

Also, these used a Fillister head screw that allowed the body weight to slide back and forth. Most times when you get these cars loose the screws are incorrect. 

Joe Lupo

#4 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

Thanks guys,
I have a brand new soldering iron that needs to be tinned.
Looks like I have a small project before I sent the iron up for soldering....
Chuck Tresp

Electric Dreams Online Shop