2 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Well...I did the WalnutTM for an order, and I "figgered" I'd do a StrapnutTM for giggles, I mean...they kinda go together.  Fort this one, I decided to do a bare metal (although polished) version, which adds some minor difficulties to the job.  The main issue here is that, I can't hide any inadvertant cuts/grinds underneath paint...yikes!  So I got busy, but in a slower, more careful kinda way.  I cut some of this, and then I cut some of that, and then I straightened out some of both of them, and finished off by installing a can bearing.  After all that, I got out the felt wheel and the polishing compound and put the shine to it.  Then I did up an end bell (*here I had to match the holes from an already-drilled end bell to the can...I hate doing that!) and came up with this shiny little fella:

IMG_1893_zpsxmpx6mnb.jpgIMG_1894_zpscghetrud.jpg

IMG_1895_zpsaxspvff4.jpg

To go with it, I wound a #28 (45/28) arm on a short .350" stack.  There will be many many RPMs on hand here!

IMG_1897_zpsv9qz8vix.jpg

IMG_1898_zpsjeeggnr3.jpg

The force is strong with this one!

-john

• MarcusPHagen, slotbaker, MSwiss and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 lucapgt

lucapgt

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hi,
What is the timing?
And max rpm?
Luca Baratti

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Luca,

the timing on all my arms is set to between 11 and 15 degrees CCW.  The only time I do something different is if someone asks me to.  Reason why?...because a modest/moderate amount of timing advance works best for most purposes.

Max RPMs...who knows?  I've never owned a tach or other way to even guestimate RPMs, and honestly don't really care.  The most important information for me is how the motor runs.

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop