5 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

Keeping Steve Okeefe's "Vintage-style" idea going (explained in this THEAD), Ken Hill (AKA "Grooverunner") built up a lovely chassis for a can-drive 16D and contacted me for a motor.  Ken left the details up to me, but wanted a "race motor." After thinking about it for a bit, I figured that a doublewind is a pretty "vintage" kind of motor, even though big wire singles were and are way more popular.  

I built Ken up another Pro Slot D motor after ordering-up some parts from Scott at PCH, and they got here in like two days from California (and people complain about the Post office?).  

The can got some minor prep. I cut off the built-in magnet clips, ground down the inside of the welds and can seams, and then epoxied-in a set of EPX magnets. Because of the large hole this combination produces, I built a stack from large diameter RJR lams I got from Bill Bugenis and wound a #28awg double. On these lams, a 28 double is doable (with a little "smushing") in four layers instead of the normal six layers on smaller lams. The arm meters dead-bang "on" at .052 ohms per pole, which is the same or a bit under where the same #25 single would be.

IMG_1903_zps9d02rxy8.jpg

All together, it should be a potent powerplant for Ken's lovely chassis!

IMG_1902_zpss9bbdenz.jpg

-john

• slotbaker, Chris Stemman, B.C. and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Great looking project......does the larger lams and double wind give it  torque over rpm, or is it a good medium? Beautiful either way.

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Great looking project......does the larger lams and double wind give it  torque over rpm, or is it a good medium? Beautiful either way.

Hi Kim,

Well, first thing is the larger diameter stack will be a bit heavier than a typical .518" (much less a .510") stack.  But more modern lams are lighter anyway because of the thinner winding leg, crown, and even the hub near the stack.  All in all, these arms probably aren't any heavier at all than a vintage stack arm, and probably only slightly heavier than most modern arms.  As for torque vs revs, all things considered, that's more about the actual wind and the air gap/magnet strength than the type lams, but I'm sure the lams play at least some role.  To make things even less clear :) , these lams make for a 4 layer coil which most likely means lower resistance than a 6 layer coil (generally speaking, that means higher revs).  Then too, doublewinds have the "reputation" for being high-revving, a bit cooler running, but also a bit light on braking.  It would take a dedicated racer to try and set up a controlled experiment to figure what is best for him in all this...and then try all the "other" variables like gear ratios., chassis type and weight, body etc.

I just make 'em.  Everyone else is the expert!

-john

John Havlicek

#4 grooverunner

grooverunner

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

John

WOW! It as usual exceeds all expectations. :good:  Hopeful this chassis can handle this great motor.  If not, It will just give a reason to build another one :D 

When done Chassis and motor will be hitting the one and only  Modelville  Purple mile !

Thanks so much!

Ken

• havlicek and Samiam like this
Ken  Hill

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hi Ken,

I'm sure your nifty chassis will be great with the motor, and I'm glad you like it.  I've been partial to double-winds since I started messing around with them some years ago.  A #28 double will be potent medicine for sure.  Maybe talk to Steve about gearing options.  He seems to have a handle on all that technical stuff!  I'll keep you posted when it gets back from grind/balance.

-john

John Havlicek

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Ken's motor came back from balancing, and all I can say after assembling this thing is...I hope he has a lot of lead!  I mean, we ARE talking "vintage style" are we not?  :D

-john

• grooverunner likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop