5 replies to this topic

#1 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

I just received a Koford M641, described by them as follows:

"25 band electronic controller with self-resetting circuit breakers on transistor and 5 ohm variabrake.  Features sensitivity and brake adjustment, along with floating wiper button for smooth action.  Primarily for scale racing but will handle any motor."

With any motor X-12 or above, the internal breaker on the controller trips after 3-4 minutes of racing.  

Track is a new Gerding, fish tires, ~3 second laps.  Partial throttle is used, but basically quick brake at entrance then smooth sweep to full, nailed through high bank and all straights.

I absolutely love the action on this thing, but cutting out for 5-15 seconds is obviously not good for lap times, lol.  

Is there something wrong with this controller, or do I need something different? 

Garry Stoner

#2 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Garry,

I'll assume the fish tires are bogging the motor causing it to draw excessive amps.

Wing cars that are run on swoopy king tracks typically run Wonder rubber tires. Koford makes the most popular wing car tires. If you get together with your raceway that will set you up with the correct tires.

Dave

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

You could add a fan to the heat sink, or just add to the heat sink, make it bigger.

That controller does not have a blast relay and I don't know about full power contacts in the handle. Without one or the other the transistor is handling all the current even at full power. Make sure the full power contact is working in the handle and or add a blast relay.

• Ramcatlarry likes this
Eddie Fleming

#4 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

Not sure of why this is doing it. I hope Stuart did not call it a 'scale' racing controller when it might be for 'homeset scale' racing... because it sounds like the transistor or fusing is too light duty.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#5 2FastDTM!

2FastDTM!

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

It's probably a simple fix. Wires work their way loose all the time causing intermittent issues.

The Koford controller is just as good as any of the top controllers.

Kevin Tee

#6 Garry S

Garry S

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

I appreciate the replies, I think I've found the issue... Four of us were running various wing cars, swapping back and forth, and this is when the Koford started "pausing." Checking the cars later, one of them - an eBay "Gp20" - appears to be wound with about three turns of coat hangar. It pulls 8A at 5v on the bench supply, so I hate to think what full throttle under load was pulling. The other guys were using resistance controllers, but being new to slot cars no one noticed they were holding a toaster. :D    

I've since run the Koford on other cars with no problems at all, so apparently the one huge load in the mix of cars we were swapping was enough to keep it overheated. Lesson learned, I'll be checking all cars for amp draw in the future!

I'm glad this was the problem, as I love this controller. With it I can swap instantly between my ancient Pittmans and modern motors, and be able to fine tune for all.

Garry Stoner

Electric Dreams Online Shop