I found this photo on eBay, it's the one the seller used to ad his axles. Whoever made these must have had some interesting quality controls - the top axle has much more threading than the lower one, and the lower one doesn't have the 'retaining'? indents on either side like the top one has, or not even punch marks. I have visions of the car this axle is mounted in spitting both the front wheels out the fenders.
There was a problem with my axles and the Monogram 1/32 brass frame. When I put the axle in correct position in my frame, the ends of the axle stuck out past the fenders on my Lola.
I ended up shortening my axle down to about five threads left on either end, and ground a couple of small flats next to the threads so I can lock a wrench down on them. Now I can thread my Cox Ford GT front wheels onto them and tighten them down, and the wheels do not stick out of the fenders too much. The alternative was cutting off both the front axle tabs off my frame and moving them in about 1/8" or so on either side. At least this way if I don't like this axle, I can remove it.