#1 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

Hello all,

I finally got to set up my Revell 1/32 track in the living room, and wife and I have been racing ever since. She seems to enjoy it, so now I've got visions of a routed club track dancing in my head.

I'm trying to come up with a four lane 1/32 scale track plan for a room about 14'x18' or bigger, and have some simple routed track questions.

How wide should a track be for four lanes of 1/32 including the inside and outside aprons? I would also like to be able to run two 1/24 cars on occasion.

How steep should a banked curve be for running modern SlotIt/SCX or stock vintage Monograms or Revell cars? I would like to run my vintage cars too without them tumbling down the bank.

Also, how long should approaches to level changes/overpasses be for modern cars? I know some of them are much lower than vintage cars.

I read somewhere about 'magnetic paint' used nowadays on some tracks. Is it really necessary, where do you find it, how well does it work, and is it better than magnetic track braid?

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Lyons

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

4" lane spacing would be about right.  You need to leave enough room around the track to marshal your cars.  Here's a photo of an 8' x 12' 1/32 track at Wright Raceway 2 in Santa Clarita , CA that I like.

Attached Images

• Wright Raceway.jpg

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

4" is really only necessary for 1/24. If you're running 1/32 3.5" is plenty wide (and therefore can require a significantly smaller footprint). If you're going to run only two 1/24 at a time on a 3 or 4 lane 1/32 layout, no problems.

Remember, if you're routing, you can at any time, anywhere on the layout bring the lanes closer together to make for chicanes. When well done it enhances the racing experience...and also requires less space for that section of the track.

As above, keeping in mind both marshalling (ease and requiring minimum number) and driver sight lines (both track created blind spots and marshals in the way) are important.

As for the 'magnetic paint,' the paint isn't magnetic, rather it has ferrous particles in it (iron) to which the cars' traction magnets are attracted. We no longer run magnets in our club, but one guy does have his 3 lane layout painted with ferrous paint, and as I recall from when we did run magnets, it was pretty nice. Not nearly as strong as the magnet attraction to the rails on plastic track or the magnatech type braid on a routed track, but still nice. In some ways nicer, as you could still drift the cars a bit. Search online, or no doubt your local home improvement store either has it or can order it for you.

As for the banked turns, all I know is that Carrera advertises some of its cars not being able to run on its banked turn. So dialing down the banking from whatever the Carrera banks are might be a good guideline.

For shoulders...how wide are the plastic shoulders for your Revell track? That's also a good guide.

I like the layout in the picture above, it's built to optimize space and access to cars when racing. That said, if you ever want to take it to where you landscape your track, a racing/purpose built track like in the pic won't fit the bill.

Todd Brace

#4 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hi Ken

I race with the home club 's in St Louis ( gatewayslotracing.com ) We have 12 routed wood tracks in our club.

Some old , some new.....old are 3.5 .... new are 4.5 , With 5" gutter . We race both scales on ALL tracks !!!

I think the added room is more fun for both scales ( less Nerffing )......

Com on if you are going to rout a wood track you want to race all cars.....

PS we have some flat tracks in the club too NO Banks ....there fun too !!!!

GAV

Gary Vogeler

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Tim, is that Wright Raceway track the 4-lane 1/32 track Monty Ohren started building for BPR for some proxy race? Monty got sick before it's completion, so someone else, maybe Bob Scott, completed it. Originally, the BPR track I speak of had a sand-paint racing surface.

Bill Fernald

If a chicken coop has 4 doors, does that make it a sedan?

Electric Dreams Online Shop