1 reply to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

This one is an FT16D based on a later/oddball can and a Tradeship endbell. I've gotten a few of these cans over the years and they were always plated, instead of painted. While they seem like a Mabuchi piece from the can metal and forming, they have a few odd features.  

For one, they have a fixed can bushing that's reminiscent of the later Champion type, but smaller. They also have top and bottom screw holes for endbell mounting, the top hole being larger and countersunk and seemingly intended for a rather large flat head type screw, the bottom smaller hole being just drilled and not countersunk. Whatever the make (I checked Steve Okeefe's can-spotter's guide, but didn't see it listed), they seem to be of a slightly later vintage.

I installed a set of very blunt tipped magnets that I also have infrequently come across, and used what I believe was that odd "basket" type one-piece retainer that had a hole at the rear to fit over the can bushing's interior flange. They measure pretty strong, so in they went.  
I used a set of thin/flimsy shims that were pretty bent up, after flattening them best as I could. The magnet/shim assembly had to go in as "one piece" and I had to gently install them with a press after epoxying the whole shebang.

IMG_1920_zpsndqwcckd.jpg

The now-familiar Tradeship endbell got cleaned-up, the bushing faced on both sides, and drilled for cooling/inspection. I finished off the hardware with a set of brass post sleeves. These endbells were not familiar to me from my vague memories as a kid, but they must (?) be from the general period, as they're of the typical FT16D design/type, but with the improved "pent roof" hoods. Probably slightly later as well.

IMG_1919_zpsb9wwgf1a.jpg

To go with it all, I did me up a 65t/30 arm spaced for endbell drive, low-timed to run CCW, and with a Tradeship commutator. The comms are a good fit function-wise for the small interior of the endbells and the small sized brushes. You have to be careful using them, though, because they have about 10-15 degrees of CW advance built-in (Tradeship also did this with their 36D-sized comms). So, in order to time the arm to run CCW, you have to twist them much further, by looking at the tab positions, than you would normally do. It's not a problem, but makes winding more fiddly since the tabs wind up closer to the tallest parts of the coil-tops. Definitely always use the comm slots for timing and not the tabs. That way, when you come up with a comm like this, you won't wind up with any surprises.

IMG_1921_zpsurmzmukz.jpg

IMG_1922_zpsgoxrj9rv.jpg

A lot of work went into what looks like a not-too-unique motor, but the result is a very smooth and fast motor that runs cool and is particularly efficient... only drawing about .3 of an amp at 6VDC and .4 of an amp even all the way up at 12VDC. So, it's all a generally slightly later (?) than second gen FT16D, but still vintage... except for my armature. :D

-john
  • slotbaker, Jencar17, Chris Stemman and 5 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

For sale?

I seem to need one to repair a Shinoda proxy car that died.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

Electric Dreams Online Shop