• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Who would ever think back then when we were so young that 45+ years later that we would still be talking about the great times and people that slot car racing gave to us?  

I for one am glad that I was there back then and still at it all these years later, not to mension with many others from the past that are still active in our sport. Back then these scratch creations we built were all very creative.We were so young. Many of us back then scratchbuilding at the age of 12 years old and up. You couldn't expect that out of a kid nowadays.

I can relate much of my grown-up skills with real cars to the skills I learned at a young age with slot cars. It's a shame that the world of computers  and technology had to advanced so much. The only way to go faster back in the '60s was to learn how to build it yourself. You didn't know if it would handle or be fast unless you built it and tested it out. Who actually made the improvements in slot cars back then? The scratchbuilders and the rewinders!

• Pablo, garyvmachines and Tom Eatherly like this

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

So true, Brian!! I still have most of the cars/chassis I built back then, too. Some are still on the track today. :)

• Pablo, Howie Ursaner, Brian Cochrane and 1 other like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

I have one, complements of Mr.Katz. Never saved any of my old cars, either sold them off, or used parts to build new ones..

• Howie Ursaner and Brian Cochrane like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,944 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

I don't have anything but a few random parts from my cars of the '60s. I was only able to race for a couple years before the nearby raceway where I ran closed (couldn't drive then, of course), so didn't really build a lot on my first go-round in slots. Just built up a couple of kits and a couple of scratch chassis.

And, Brian, I was also 12 when I started scratchbuilding.

• Brian Cochrane likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 penske

penske

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

I also agree with Brian 100%. Back in the '60s if someone was able to run faster, you would try to copy their chassis or and find out how many turns of wire and what gauge he was using.  

​Today’s kids are so into their iPhones and computers that they don’t do much of anything else. It’s like an addiction to them. They never let the phone out of their hands.

This will be a huge problem for the slot car community as racers who raced in the '60s  are now in their 60s. Will not be racing for much longer I’m afraid. And the youth ("what’s a yout?") will not find slots interesting enough to stay with it.

Roger
  • Howie Ursaner, usadar and Brian Cochrane like this
Roger Ruggieri

#6 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I used to race with the grown men back then,the 'local ros" that were in their 20s and 30s and they would want to see my cars because they were so fast. Big Jim Greenaway is watching me practice and he says, "Look at this kid, he's pretty fast". They would say to me, "Whose motors you running? I would say my own.

We used the term 'Formula' for how many turns of what gauge wire you wound your motor with. I wound many of my motors with 30 turns of 28 wire. I liked having brakes that's why I went with 28 guage as my favorite. I also did plenty of 26 guage and thicker and they were rockets but you wouldn't have much brakes with that formula. Did a lot of double winds using two different size wires at the same time. The idea was one size wire would give you the torque and the other size wire would give you the brakes. 

I used to bake the epoxy on in the oven. My mom didn't like when I did that, but my parents never stopped me from enjoying my slot cars. I used to be at the track late on school nights. There usualy was someone to drive me and my bike home at 9 or 10 at night.

Like my post says: Reliving the 1960s.
  • usadar, boxerdog, Samiam and 1 other like this

#7 penske

penske

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Brian,

You and I along with a small group of 'old timers' are cut from the same cloth. I am so happy that I was involved with slot cars, In the '60s. What a great time it was. It was a very important part of my life. But it was a part of my growing up.  

As a kid we did so many different things. I can't even remember how many games we played with a 'Spaulding.' A Spaulding was a rubber ball that cost 25 cents. You could get a 'Pinky Pics' for 15 cents but they weren’t as good. And there was always 'chips on the ball' in case it went down the sewer.

Along with that we did punch ball, slap ball, which was much different then punch ball. Ring a learo, Johny rides the pony, Crack Top, War. Then in the winter we played football. Build forts when it snowed and threw snowballs at anything that moved, anything.

Brian, this is me remembering "living in the '60s".  

OK, so this is my point here. I feel sorry for kids today. Their life revolves around their iPhone. They check it every 30 seconds to see who tweeted what, or who texted whom. I find it very sad. They will never understand how to play "ace, king, queen."

​I hope that there will be some who get involved with slot cars. It's a great hobby. But I don’t think it can compete with today's technology.

Roger
  • Howie Ursaner, usadar, DOCinCocoa and 2 others like this
Roger Ruggieri

#8 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

I recently got back into the hobby of slot cars with my sons.

The cars and controllers are so much better than the junky stuff I had as a kid.

Tracks are better except fewer and further between.

Nice to have the internet now to find places to go and exchange information like you do here.

• MSwiss, Samiam and Brian Cochrane like this

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,420 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

As far as the "future," looks like all attempts by Big Shots at redefining slot car racing without a slot have or are terribly tanking... such as the total fiasco the Apple "Anki" has been since 2013 when introduced.

There are a limiting factors in all this stuff, as there will be with driverless cars: the main one is called, Need for Speed.

No attempt by all the world's technocrats and others trying to make us "comply" will ever be successful.

• Samiam, Mach9 and Brian Cochrane like this

#10 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Slot car racing brings people physically together in the same room. Computer and internet racing doesn't.

Go outside of the house and actually do something. Try it, you'll like it!

#11 racie35

racie35

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Slot cars require slots... let it be written.

• Cheater and DOCinCocoa like this
Bruce Thomas

#12 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

I got back into slot racing this last go-around entirely to try and get back some of that simple fun I had as a kid. And this time I have stayed in it longer than any of the other returns I made. 

#13 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

In '60's was a member of MESAC.

MESACzinepiece.jpg

In 2017 am a member of Pelican Park Speedway where every week since 1994 we're reliving the '60's.

wholeenchilada.jpg

64Mesaclotus25.jpg

64Lotus25-33.jpg

• tonyp, usadar and Brian Cochrane like this
Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#14 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

Retro racing is the best and closest thing to 60's racing.It's got a huge group of racers from all across the country and world and the look and feel of the old days .The 60's lives on!

• Noose, tonyp and Samiam like this

#15 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Sex, drugs, rock & roll and slotcars. Just like I remembered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#16 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Built this in early 65.   14 years old and really ahead of the other racers at the little local track I raced at.   I was a lucky kid,  my dad  taught me to solder and lots of basic common sense mechanical things, plus  I  read  the magazines.   Very simple racing back then, run what you brung, lane draw by color out of a hat.  If I got a center lane, I won every week for 6-8 weeks.  Most of the other kids were running Cox mag frame cars built by track owner with required silicone tires.   I had a Testors 26 D brass tube frame, vac body. I should have won every week.   I did some reworking of the chassis in 1980 when I got interested again, some of the solder joints were repaired and the tube drop arm was replaced by the brass tongue on there now.   You can see the new rear tires, I took the old Cox Chap wheels off yesterday, as I ran this car last nite at the local track!!   It still goes.

P1010004.JPG P1010006.JPG

Attached Images

• P1010005.JPG

• boxerdog and Brian Cochrane like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop