9 replies to this topic

#1 slotcar55man

slotcar55man

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Hello fellow Slotters,

My name is Steve McConnell, I live in Hoschton, GA.. 

I was involved with 1/24 slot cars from 1966 to 1969, I grew up in NW Indiana, Laporte IN. to be exact. I ran slot cars at a wood routed rental track located in the basement of JAX Sporting Goods and Hobby Shop downtown LaPorte. I lost interest in slot cars as two-cycle go-karting took priority (small asphalt roadcourse located in Stillwell, IN.). Moved back to the south and life happened.

I was rummaging through some old boxes and found my old slot box. The memories rushed back like a swift kick in the butt. So I searched the internet, and wound up here, I have been lurking for a couple days, before deciding to join up. I really enjoy the articles about scratch-building and motor building. 

I have been looking unsuccesfully for a local rental track to run my old cars on. I have an old motor I need help identifying to determine if its a keeper or a hack. I will post a few pictures in a day or two.

Regards,

Steve

• MSwiss, Mach9 and SlotStox#53 like this
M. Stephen McConnell

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Steve,

Welcome to Slotblog!  You'll find all sorts of knowledgeable people here from all over the US.

I'm sure you'll find some help with your vintage slot cars once you post a few pictures.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

:) Welcome, Steve!!

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#4 Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:13 AM

Hi Steve,

Looks like the closest slot car track to you is Cordle Model Speedway located in Marietta, GA.

#5 John Good

John Good

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Steve:

Welcome. 

My story is kind of similar, but I missed the peak of slot car activity. By the time I was old enough not to be in the way, the video arcades were poised to put my local track out of business. After 40 years, I'm a novice trying to stay out of the way again. 

I would encourage you to check out IRRA retro racing. Very helpful guys dedicated to the rebirth, or at least preservation, of the hobby. Build a couple cars and come race with us at the R4.

John
  • Cheater and Samiam like this

#6 Mr. M

Mr. M

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Steve,

I grew up on the same track, same timeframe, and same town. We probably crossed paths. Who did you race and hang with then? I built a lot of cars for people there back in the day. The track was a homemade Blue King without the finger. The surface was rough, copper tape with little transformers for power. The bank had a nasty dip that you had to blip for. We ran 15 lap crash and burn 24 heat races. Always had 10-15 racers for the Tuesday night weekly.
Chris McCarty

#7 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Welcome aboard! 

Look forward to seeing the pictures of the motor and your original cars. More than enough people to help out with identifying most bits and pieces. :)

#8 slotcar55man

slotcar55man

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to be of some help to the future of slot cars in some way, if just to reminisce of the glory days of slot cars. 

My cars weren't really that much of speed demons but just what a 10-year old could afford with paper route money. A Cox 1/24 magnesium chassis Cheetah and a Cox plunger controller.  heard lots of talk of the speed Legends, and their equipment, just never had the opportunity to meet any of them in person. I hope to build a period (mid 60's) correct anglewinder chassis and motor, with a retro GT coupe body.  All by IRRA standards and rules.

Thanks again
M. Stephen McConnell

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

Steve, here's some food for thought. There's an article with photos & build details of Gene Husting's original 1968 1/24 anglewinder coupe on Slotblog. Go to The Independent Scratchbuilder, Contemporary Builds, Chassis for a look. These two pages may give you some ideas for your build. You'll also find an article on Steube's first anglewinder there too.

• slotcar55man likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 slotcar55man

slotcar55man

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

hey guys,

posted pics and dimensions of the old motor in the

General Technical Info & Advice

http://slotblog.net/...-with-old-motor

Bill,

I do like gene's original angle-winder, but I also like the Neat Things "Diamond" angle-winder.

Thanks a slot

M. Stephen McConnell

Electric Dreams Online Shop