15 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

This a repost of a video that was removed from YouTube, so the link in the previous post was dead.

• MSwiss, C. J. Bupgoo and Dushkwoneshe like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,376 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

"Hawthorn".  :)

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the correction. Edited the subject line which had a typo, but can't do anything about the video's title...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

No sissy tarmac runoffs.

• Cheater likes this

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Must be fun getting passed on your scooter by someone going 175 (?).

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,376 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Mike, you are correct. The D-Type was the first car to exceed 170 mph on what the Brits call the "Mulsanne straight," but of which real name is "les Hunaudieres." 

"The D-Type's aerodynamic superiority is evident from its maximum speed of 172.8 mph on the Mulsanne Straight compared with the 4.9 litre Ferrari's 160.1 mph."

Malcolm Sayer, formerly an engineer at Bristol aircraft, devised the D-Type aerodynamic body and did such a great job that one can drive the car at speed with no helmet and goggles and be completely isolated from turbulence. I was very privileged to have driven an ex-works, ex-Ecurie Ecosse D-Type about 15 years ago on private circuit in France, and it was truly a wonderful car, comfortable and well mannered. This car belonged to a good friend in Switzerland who sold it earlier this year to an American gentleman. 

Here is a pic of it:

robert_sarrailh_d-type.jpg

I simply love this car, but could never own one as its value today is north of astronomical.

• Cheater and miko like this

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

... could never own one as its value today is north of astronomical.

Well, yeah, since Jaguar only made 71 team and customer D-Types plus 16 of the roadgoing XKSS version.

Jaguar is handbuilding re-creations of the nine XKSSs that were destroyed in the famous Browns Lane fire of February 1957, to carry the same chassis numbers as the destroyed cars. They can't be legally registered for road use, but the entire run was pressed at well over a million bucks a copy.

P, some of the nicer D-Type replicas, using later XJ6 engines, are so close as to drive and sound almost identically to the real things, especially if you steer clear of the ones with fiberglass bodies.

But even they're not cheap. And I know you, you like to buy old race cars for barely into five figures...

Gregory Wells

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Malcolm Sayer did a lot of design work for Jaguar. Another well known example are the low drag E-type coupes that did pretty well over there.

Lucky boy, to drive the Ecurie Ecosse car in anger. If this is XKD502, I have kept track of it over the years, and being of Scottish decent always dreamed of owning either 501 or 502.

The closest I ever came to owning a D-type was XKD550,   or more properly XKSS769, when it was sitting in Frank Opalka's shop half way through it's restoration. The owner died, leaving a large unpaid bill, and Frank took ownership in lieu of payment. I made a bid on the car, which was fair for the time and the fact that it was in boxes, but wasn't near enough to what Frank needed. I have never actually driven one.

A bit of interesting D-type trivia; the first five D-types carried XKC construction numbers.

PS: Greg, the Lynx copies are as close to the real thing as you can get. Most vintage racing events accept them as entrants, both here and abroad. 

• Cheater likes this

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,376 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

When I sell my Cooper-Climax, I might buy a Lynx replica to drive on the roads. The Lynx use massaged XK120 to XK150 engines fitted with Lucas injection and they are very good, very well-built cars. Still, cost $250K or so... not cheap!

The real thing today is between $10 and $20 million depending on history and chassis number.

The car I drove sold for north of $15 million... but I cannot complain because the ex-owner paid for me to go to Le Mans Classic this year as a special guest, and I drove his GT40, a Cobra roadster, and even a Renault Dauphine "1093" rally car.

So, I am not complaining...   :)

This is the Cobra I drove. The gent in the white jacket is former rally world champ Jean-Claude Andruet.

DSCN0801.JPG

The Ford:  

DSCN0859.JPG

My friend has nice cars!   :)

• MSwiss, miko and Samiam like this

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

And you have nice friends, a least three or four I think... LOL!

Gregory Wells

#11 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

Vintage racers are a great group of guys. We are all passionate about the cars, and since we aren't racing for money it is a lot easier to form friendships with the other racers.

One my friends from years ago, who was also a founder of the VSCDA, bought a Lynx from the estate of an exec from McDonald's hamburgers. That I did drive from R/A into Elkhart Lake for the car show.

But I can't vouch for how driving that compares to the real thing.  

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,376 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Dave,

The Lynx cars are the closest to a read D-Type so it should drive just about the same. Lynx also made quite a few E-Type lightweights and some XKSS too, all beautiful cars.

I visited their shop in England in 1990; it was fantastic.

#13 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

1990 would have been about when my friend's car would have been built. The original owner only had it about two years when he died. My friend's wife was best friends with the original owner's wife, so he was able to buy it from the estate for cheap.

I would think the XKSS would be the best choice for a road car, with the full windshield.

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Probably so, Dave.

But for me it would be a short nose with the fin and the single seat wraparound windshield. Pure sex on the road, assuming one is willing to drive a car that valuable on a public road!

My best man's real, authentic 1930 Packard 734 boat tail has been steadily increasing in value on the auction circuit the last few years. When one made the last big jump in auction number, I called him and asked if he was pleased about that. He said, "No, not really. It was already costing $300 a month for insurance and now it's going to go up again."

Gregory Wells

#15 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Greg, if it has wheels and a motor, it needs to be driven.

The reason I jumped into the VSCDA was that the other charter members all had the same complaint, that the cars were being hidden away and never brought to light. That was the reason it was called the Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association. And it wasn't long before others in the area caught on, and the membership grew exponentially.

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Dave,

You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

My best man Don Peterson has always driven his collector cars more than just about anyone I know. He doesn't even own a trailer.

In 1980, when I was a McDonald's manager trainee, I was called to the drive-thru in the restaurant where I training and there was Don in his 1930 Duesenberg Murphy town car that had scored 99-3/4 points at the CCCA's Indianapolis Grand Classic the weekend before. He was driving it to work and came by to say hi!

And his boat tail has an engraved plaque that he props up on the windshield at shows that reads:

"Between June 6 and July 9, 1995, this 1930 Packard 734 boat-tail speedster was driven 9,638 miles through all 48 continguous states by Donald R. Peterson. He was accompanied through portions of the trip by his sons Wyatt and Ryan Peterson, and his wife Edie.

Engine: 385 cid/145 hp Straight 8
Wheelbase: 134"
Fuel Economy: 12.6 mpg

Total mileage on the car is over 300,000."

The part I didn't mention is that Don will be 88 years old on April 1. Then there's the insanely horrible Atlanta traffic...

Still, an authentic Packard 734 boat tail (and there are only four or five truly authentic ones) is worth maybe $1.5 to $2 million. An authentic Jaguar D-Type is worth more like $20 million.

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop