Photo

Rear axle ball bearings... should I bother?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hello all,

Awhile back I bought a box of flanged ball bearings to upgrade some Parma controllers I had lying around, and according to the box they are 1/8" ID x 1/4" OD.

I also have a couple of tweaked Monogram brass chassis here missing a rear oilite. Of course, the Mono oilites have a weirdo OD, too.

Is it worth the aggravation to drill/ream out the bearing holes and solder in these ball bearings, or should I just look for a couple of NOS oilites on the Bay? Both of these have already had some soldering done to them already so I can't imagine they have much collector value.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Lyons

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

Sounds like you're not interested in competitive racing where a good quality set of ball bearings do help (when legal to use).

I would go the route of whatever makes your job easiest to do when restoring unless it's a valuable vintage slot car where you want to match the original parts as close as possible.

• Cheater likes this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I would love to find some people interested in 1/32 scale vintage hardbody racing, but in central WI it isn't happening.

That being so, the only thing harder to find than other racers here are Mono oilites. Since the chassis I have aren't very collectible and have both been soldered to, I decided to install the bearings after all.

Ken

Ken Lyons

Electric Dreams Online Shop