• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve M.

Steve M.

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Picked this one up off eBay a few weeks ago.  I am sure some of you saw it, the paint scheme really stood out.  The seller had 2 for sale, listed separately, they were painted very similar, so they obviously came from the same place/estate/whatever.  I was afraid I would win one car and not the other, really wanted to get both cars and keep them together.  I did manage to win both auctions, may have over paid, I don't care, I liked them.  This is the first one as it was when it arrived:

lola1.jpglola2.jpg

First I got rid of that sidewinder chassis, this body is too narrow for a sidewinder in my opinion.  Wheels were those Testors wheels with holes and they had some unusual light blue super thin vacuum form plastic wheel inserts stuck in them, never seen those before, very brittle, they just cracked and split.  I wanted to keep it truly vintage, no new parts.  I had this Dynamic in-line in the parts box with badly cut up/drilled side pans.  Fixed and stabilized the side pans, even the brass I used was taken from a 60's era scratch built disaster that was in my parts box.  Added some Riggen wheels, wish I had some lower profile front tires and maybe some better rear tires, but its not going to be a racer, just a shelf piece, so the old tires allow it to keep the vintage look.  No clue what the motor is, had it in the parts box and it runs great.  Cleaned the body, lightly polished the body, got rid of that bent electrical wire rollbar, and made the interior black.

The biggest pain was a trying to align everything to use the original mounting holes, that was frustrating.  But I am really pleased with the end result.  Can anyone confirm the body, I think it is Lancer.  Here is how it looks now:

lola3.jpglola4.jpg

Now on to the second one, they'll look good together when done.

Steve

• endbelldrive, slotbaker, Pablo and 4 others like this
Steven L. Major

#2 John M Wimett

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing CFO

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Sweet, there is definitely some hours of cleaning and polishing there!

I have done a few and it is hard not to keep going on improvements. One thing I always do on older cars is turn the tires down on my Hudy tire truer. I have built quite a collection of 1/8 inch axle set screw wheels from old to new style with different diameters. Russkit wheels were set screw mounted.

I like the tires to be round and sized to fit the wheel well, whether the car ever sees track time or not; I always want them ready to run. 

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing

"Speed costs money....how fast do you want to go?"

#3 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Very nice!

Don Weaver
The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

Electric Dreams Online Shop