85 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Today there's been some discussion on social media about the CPC hand-out motor format. 

Much as I wanted to participate on the King track, other obligations precluded my attendance. 

I'm a huge fan of hand-out motors, but there has been some dissent about consistency, so maybe it's time to bring an old discussion around again. 

My thing is I'd like to see hand-outs at all major races. It's an extra burden, but it's also an extra boost for track  economies. 

I'd like to add that Tim at JK has done an excellent job in providing racers with Hawk Retro motors. The subject has been hashed off and on, pros and cons. 

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#2 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

From what I have seen so far on the Facebook discussion is that there were some dogs, some bullets, and a large number of motors that were the same. No different than what is found in a regular sampling of very inexpensive motors that probably have little quality control available for them.

Expecting something more in the way of consistency at this price point is a pipe dream. From what I have seen the quality of 100 motors will work out like a bell curve, 10 bullets, 10 dogs, and 80 that go up and down in speed.

Was talking to another racer the other day that was involved in motor production with a large company and said that was the way it always worked out even with quality control at every step.

So are hand-out motors fair? Guess that depends where your motor falls on the curve. :)

• gfox likes this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#3 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

This was pretty much my thinking. It's the luck of the draw.

I think the issue comes into sharp focus among the top guys. Lower main guys like myself look to run with those in the same qualifying bracket and slug it out however fast or slow we go. It's true that this years CPC top Can-Am cars fell short of the top speeds in prior races.

Those days maybe over for hand-out format races.

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#4 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Here's my two cents. I have not traveled to many premier races but if I am going to spend a lot of vacation time, money, and prep time at a distant event I don't want to be counting on the luck of the draw to be competitive.

I would want to use my own motors which may not be jets but at least I know what I have.

• Noose, tonyp, JerseyJohn and 5 others like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#5 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Mike,

What's your definition of "competitive"?

I have traveled and prefer hand-outs. Not that they would remotely make me a winner but all the times/laps are more closely compressed. If, as what has been stated many times, motors don't matter as much as set-up, practice, tire choice, etc., then the cream still rises.

I would think that the top drivers would be chomping at the bit to prove their success isn't based on motor performance.

Then what - anything less than a podium means the weekend was a loss? GTC at Sano is hand-out and those times and lap totals are incredibly close. 

• Cheater likes this
Diana Dyckman

#6 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

When a top racer gets hold of slow(er) motors that has to be a drag. You then can only rely on your set-up and expert driving skills to take on the lower ranks. 

Half of the B and all of the C and D Mains qualified in the 4.1s except the last qualifier in the D Main. So from the E and F main, the lap times fall off sharply. From a top of 3.912 to a 4.197 in qualifying will be where the consistency appears. 

That really is fairly consistent overall judging from the qualifying sheet. If you factor in driver skill and set-up savvy, it was a very close race.

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#7 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

It sounds like the guys that were disappointed were the cubic $$$ guys, that will buy and buy, to make sure, they get to the deadman first.

• Mike Patterson and RodneyZ like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#8 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Mark,

After competing in the Checkpoint Cup Can-Am Race this year, here's my observations:

1)  Some Fast 7R motors are out there and seem to run very consistent although sub-4 second qualifying times were down from the 2015 and 2016 events.

2.) Attendance was slightly down for the event from past years -  due to hand-out motors? Perhaps...

3) Even though I purchased three motors, due to vision problems, I was only able to try one motor in one car prior to tech inspection. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Therefore, if voted upon, I'd like to go back to the way it was. Anything goes on any approved JK Retro Hawk, TSR Falcon, or TSR motors. I'd rather be practicing on the track rather than scrambling with motor break-in and installation prior to the race.

• Noose, tonyp and Dan Ebert like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#9 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Good observations, Tim. From the time you get your motor(s), break them in, install and practice, your wits are pretty frayed. They tried handing out motors on Friday night, but that ended up in the drama zone. So that didn't work. 

SCRRA has tried everything to adjust for a smooth running hand out format and at best, it's very hectic!!

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#10 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

From what I have seen so far on the Facebook discussion is that there were some dogs, some bullets, and a large number of motors that were the same.

Exactly. And it's always going to be that way. 

I've bought loads of all the FK style motors and they all varied just as Bill stated from a Facebook post, but we saw less of it with the TSR motor.

• Tim Neja likes this

Bobby Robinson  RN, BMTCN

"Nobody rides for free." - Jackson Browne, 1980

"Positivity and optimism can overcome a lot of things." - Tom Brady,  2019

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson

#11 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

Fast motor or not, the guys that get through the deadman to the lead-on the fastest are the contenders. And that's due to driving and car set-up.

A fast motor for the contender guys would make a difference though.

• Danny Zona likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#12 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

This is a comment concerning post #2 above. In any manufacturing process of any product, there will be the bell curve affect statistically speaking.

With the older versions of the Hawk Retro motor, the standard deviation was high; so you got some very good bullets that were very race-worthy and some dogs that you only practiced with.

However, with the 7R version of the Hawk Retro, the standard deviation has been greatly reduced so that you don't get the few killer motors. We ran the 7R version in the endurance flexi series in Florida last year. This was a hand-out motor program. The racing has never been closer. Of seven HRs that we tested before the race at Pinellas Park, the lap times were 4.67, 4.60, 4,67, 4.69, 4.71, 4.65 (this motor won two endurance races), and 4.67nsec (this motor won the endurance race at Pinellas Park). The 4.60n sec motor seemed to run hotter than the others, so we elected not to race it in the endurance race.

So, I think that hand-out motors is a very good idea. The R4 this year is going to have hand-out 7R motors in Can-Am. I am figuring that this will make the racing closer than ever.

• Mark Wampler and JK Products like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#13 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

When a top racer gets hold of slow(er) motors that has to be a drag. You then can only rely on your set-up and expert driving skills to take on the lower ranks. 

Half of the B and all of the C and D Mains qualified in the 4.1s except the last qualifier in the D Main. So from the E and F main, the lap times fall off sharply. From a top of 3.912 to a  4.197 in qualifying will be where the consistency appears. 

That really is fairly consistent overall judging from the qualifying sheet. If you factor in driver skill and set-up savvy, it was a very close race.

You are correct, Mark. Qualifying was tight for hand-outs.

Exactly.  And it's always going to be that way. 

I've bought loads of all the FK style motors and they all varied just as Bill stated from a Facebook post, but we saw less of it with the TSR motor.

Sorry Bobby, but the data doesn't show that.

.251 difference, top 20 at the 2012 CPC, with handout TSRs, and .252 difference, 1-20 this year, with Hawk Retros.

Considering there were 50 (39% more) entries in 2012, vs 36 in 2017, the Hawk Retro hand-out gave you a better chance to qualify near the top.

When you see hot fingers like Jonathon Forsyth, and the late Jay Kisling, qualifying 20th, and 18th, a quarter of a second off the pace, it's pretty good proof your chances to get a top TSR were actually worse.

2017 checkpoint.jpg

P1220695.jpg

• Howie Ursaner likes this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#14 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

If I had to go back to TSR-D3 I would just watch. The Hawk Retro is much better.

Jason

• Les Boyd and Samiam like this

#15 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

I'm gonna get my ass flamed off for saying this, but here goes anyway.

What's your personal goal?

Is it to build racer participation in support of a mostly-flawed US commerical raceway business model?

Is it to give guys who have superior budgets of time and money to expend on slot car racing (with no pay-outs and very little fame and glory, don't forget) an unfair advantage and a better chance to win or podium?

Is it your opinon that if you as a racer can't bring an unfair advantage to a big race, so you feel you have a better chance to podium, centrally involved in whether or not you can enjoy this leisure-time activity (which is all that it is, whether admitted or not)?

Again, I realize I am going to be shredded for stating this, but I really wonder about the lives of slot racers whose self-worth is seemingly so correlated and tied to whether or not they can win, or have a better chance than the average guy of winning, a slot car race. We all strive to be the guy standing atop the podium grinning down at the losers gathered around, but when it doesn't happen, does your life really change? No racer in any arena likes to lose, but every racer in any competitive endeavor is going to lose more than he wins.

If winning, or having a superior advantage as compared to the other competitors, is so important to you, please post to this thread explaining your reasoning for why that is that case for you. I'd honestly like to know why some racers feel that way.

I'm reminded about the most notable song (for me anyway) Peggy Lee ever recorded.

As many of you have heard me state, if you can't have fun in or enjoy this hobby/sport unless you win or podium, I honestly suggest it would best for everyone concerned (including yourself) if you would find another hobby to pursue.

When you young whippersnappers get as old as me, you'll probably be just as grumpy as I am. LOL...

• Half Fast, Mark Wampler, Les Boyd and 2 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#16 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

Well, Mike, your data only represents one track, BPR.  I raced on many, many different tracks with different power levels back when we were racing with the TSR motor and it was a very popular motor because of what I stated. 

I haven't even come close to "bashing" any favorite product of yours. I stated what I have experienced personally here in the deep south with all the different tracks and powers we run on. And BTW, I don't own any TSR motors now, but somewhere around 50 RHs because they are faster.

Is this really what this thread was about anyway? All I did was make a garden variety statement and the lawyers line up!

Let's please get back to Mark's intent for this thread. 

And yes, I am in favor of hand-out motors for major races. But if not, I'll still race!

• Steve Deiters, Tim Neja, Mark Wampler and 1 other like this

Bobby Robinson  RN, BMTCN

"Nobody rides for free." - Jackson Browne, 1980

"Positivity and optimism can overcome a lot of things." - Tom Brady,  2019

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson

#17 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

I've never been labeled a 'lawyer' before... LOL!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#18 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

Comparing different motors by race results is on page 3 of recipes for disaster. There are so many variables involved and any one of them can skew the results.

The plusses and minuses of TSR vs Hawk Retro vs PSFK have been debated elsewhere to beating dead horse status.

Let's get back to pros and cons of hand-out motors and keep the lawyers out. :)
  • Jason Holmes and Danny Zona like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

Sorry, Bobby, but you brought up the TSR.

Since this post was started in reference to handouts at the CPC, it seemed that a comparison to it was the most pertinent.

The social media post that was referenced in the first and second post, made the same claim that you did, that the TSR was more consistent than the Hawk Retro.

It's easy to make an off the cuff comment without presenting real data or facts.

I just posted real data to debunk the "alternative facts" posted on FB.

This year their were 14 less entries, and the spread from 1-20, was virtually identical.

Add 14 more racers, this year, with seven of them the likes of Howie, Mike Isles, Jonathon, Haruki, etc., and needless to say, the spread would be tighter.

Mike Swiss

#20 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

Mark,

I can sympathize with your vision problems. Anyone who has seen me working on my cars in the pits knows I also have vision issues.

But I practiced motor changes at home, a lot, before going to the race. I used the same philosophy as the top drivers use for driving. What tools do I need? Can i modify a tool to make a task easier and quicker? What is the best sequence in breaking in and soldering the pinion and measuring pinion distance from the motor? Plus the practice helped my soldering speed with the pinion. It helped me break-in, install and practice with all three motors. I had a choice of two motors that seemed to be the best.

I picked one and it never got any faster even though it had picked up steadily during practice. I don't blame that motor, it was my evaluation of the motors that was faulty. Hopefully at the R4 I'll recognize speed potential appropriately.

To me the motor hand-out process is another area where I actually might gain an advantage, just like the 1:1 racers do in the pits.
  • Tim Neja likes this
Diana Dyckman

#21 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Well, Mike, your data only represents one track, BPR.

Bobby,

Here's data from another track, Tom Thumb, that used the TSR as a handout.

GTC at the R4/2

52 entries and only one racer broke 5 seconds in the race (no qualifying)

Coincidently, a slot car lawyer. LOL.

And despite 24 minutes of running, only 10 racers managed to run in the 5.0s.

PS: My BP reference/comparison is better, as it's more of a motor dyno.

Mike Swiss

#22 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

Here's my 2 cents. I have not traveled to many Premier races but if I am going to spend a lot of vacation time, money, and prep time at a distant event I don't want to be counting on the luck of the draw to be competitive.

I would want to use my own motors which may not be jets but at least I know what I have.

My feelings exactly especially when it is for the Premier class.

I have no problem with hand-outs in one of the lesser classes. But why do we need more stress within a limited amount of time when it is not necessary?

• tonyp, JerseyJohn, Dan Ebert and 3 others like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#23 mgerbetz

mgerbetz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

One hand-out motor class is plenty.

This is racing.

Mikey

• Cap Henry and Danny Zona like this
Michael Gerbetz

#24 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

The famous coach Herm Edwards said "You play to win the game." That is why we race. The comaradery, etc., comes before and after. Slot racing in itself creates that. 

Many feel if they do not have a chance they stay home.

• Cap Henry, usadar and Danny Zona like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#25 gfox

gfox

Hack, according to some

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Greg, here's some insight...

The whole premise behind 'race' is it declares a winner; I want to be that guy. And I'll never understand anybody that says they don't care where they finish; they just want to have fun.

Flame on!!! LOL.

• tonyp, kvanpelt, Cap Henry and 2 others like this
Greg Fox

Electric Dreams Online Shop