#1 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

Another great slot car racer/builder has left us.  :(

He belonged to Hornchurch model racing club in the UK, part of E.C.R.A area 9's group of clubs/tracks back in the '60s.

Genius designer and builder, being one of the clubs go-to guys for early rewinds. Made a couple of trips to the USA to take on the early pioneers of slot car drag racing with his car "Mums Min."

Even coming up with a unique headlight system for an endurance race. Instead of taking the car off the track hooking up a battery, he designed a tilt switch that required holding a huge horseshoe magnet over the track.  :D

Also Barrie was a part of Team Russkit; didn't know they had a UK division.

Rest in peace, Barry.

#2 munter

munter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

A world famous name... sad to hear it.

John Warren
Slot cars are my preferred reality

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Reposted from SlotForum, with permission of the author, Keith Wells:

"I have received some very sad news this morning, the passing of our old clubmate Barrie Wade. I first met Barrie in 1963 and he was one of the kindest people I have ever met. We were all young then and when he came into the club he was like our elder brother.

He helped Hornchurch go from strength to strength with his innovations, what with balsa wood cars, 4wd microperms, mercury switching for lights, and so many other things. As he was a rail racer before his time with us his engineering skills were superb.

His dragster 'Mum's Min' bought many a smile to us when we went to other clubs. He was part of our team in ECRA area 9 and we all travelled around to so many interclub meetings and open meetings in his Hillman Imp 4 up with all our bits and pieces travelling around the south of England. I can remember setting off to Ramsgate for a two-day open meeting in the fog. Those were the days I can tell you.

He ran team Russkit 1/24 over here and I had the privilege a couple of times driving with him at Westcliff with those cars. Talk about feeling like a works driver with all the bits and pieces that used to arrive from the USA. Like us all things moved on and we lost touch for a while but as seems the way with Hornchurch members we found each other again and kept in touch on and off.

Barrie was someone special in my slot racing history. I have so many memories in my mind, so many stories I can tell. I can see him now at the West Ham open with his mum sitting in the corner doing her knitting and chatting with everyone.

It was a privilege to have know him and have him as a friend. RIP, dear friend."

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Another tribute to Barrie Wade from SlotForum, this one from Martin Field:

"Very sad news. Barrie was somebody that you don't forget. I have a terrible memory for faces but can recall Barrie instantly, such that I once did a charicature of him with MRRC barrel controller. His Adam's apple prominent as always.  

He talked me through carving a balsa 158 Ferrari with an Airfix steering unit fitted with one of his early "ratbag" guides, made from Swiss curtain rail. I fitted a hard-earned Microperm motor with integral gearbox and then beat him with it at Runnymede. He was the first to congratulate me. Always a gentleman.  

His balsa Auto Union, called the "Onion," was always a winner and Mum's Min with an old blue Mabuchi model boat motor was a legend.

The world is a lesser place."

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

Futher Keith Wells recollections of Barrie:

"Have been thinking about Barrie and some of the times we had together at Hornchurch.

I can remember putting a Microperm motor in a Airfix Lotus 24 similar to his Auto (onion) Union and he looking at it then looking at me. Barrie had a way of looking at you and saying slowly yes then a pause, 'Why did you paint the car pale green?"; not a mention about the motor. From that moment onwards in the '60s all my cars were pale green, a colour I still use today on and off.

Then the VIP Lotus 18 springs to mind. In Barrie's opinion it looked odd but he did notice the metal guide tongue and made replicas which we all used in our Airfix F1s instead of the two round plastic rods that were used by Airfix.

There are so many Barrie moments. The MRRC barrel controller episode... some bright spark called Keith decided to cut big holes in it to let the hot air out and then wondered why his cars crashed as he either burnt his fingers or caught them in it. Barrie looked at the controller then looked at me, and said hmmm, why don't you put a bit of mesh over that big hole, that will cure your problems.

Then there were the open meetings four-up in his Imp going to Sidcup and someone in the back with a big map trying to work out where we were going, and the voice from the driving seat asking how many times do you want me to go round this roundarbout for, yep, we were lost. The trips to Coulsdon, Sydenham, and a club called Knights Templar; if I remember they were in the law courts somewhere. The nunnery at Leytonstone (slot clubs had some strange premises in those days). There are so many Barrie moments. On one of our trips to Ramsgate his Imp was struggling up a incline and it was going slower and slower and the voice behind the wheel said if you all jump up together we might go faster.

He was truly one of the early greats and was a very good slot car driver as well. Never panicked, didn't scold the marshalls too much at Hornchurch. Mind you, Len Manwaring and Jack Penwill had a habit of standing together on the first big corner after the start reminiscing about things until cars came crashing of in front of them then trying and then rushing to put them back on. It was quite often Barrie's car was either last on or Jack put it on the wrong way round and a measured voice would come from the drivers position saying, "The bonnet is the front, Jack."

I could spend a lot of time reminising about those early days of the '60s and about Barrie. As I have said he was one of the greats, a dry sense of humour, had a quizzical look about him, would help anyone. Mind you, when he started talking technical I usually went blank, I can see him now with a slot car in one hand and a screwdriver in the other chuckle.

I have been informed by John English that his funeral is on Wednesday, 15 February at 13-40 at the South Essex Crematorium, Upminster."    

• SlotStox#53 likes this

Gregory Wells

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

Sounds like a racer I would have loved to have known.

If anyone spots an obituary for Barrie, please let me know.

Gregory Wells

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,334 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

RIP, Barrie!!

God Bless you and your family!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop