• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

I am buildng a few of the late 60s-early '70s chrome bumper NASCAR examples and I would like to replicate the stamped steel wheels used from that era.
Most of my cars are using H&R or Pro-Track tire/wheel assemblies and I am looking for the product and methods used by all to, per se, slide a painted wheel insert down into the wheel itself to achieve "the look"....
I see that Plastic Performance Products makes nicely detailed 9" or 10" deep wheels that look great, but before purchasing, I am curious to know what method and product everyone uses to achieve this simulation.
I was thinking about wheels found in the model kits...do they need to be "turned down"?...and if so, how...??? How do you mount the insert on an excessively deep wheel..???....and so on and so on....
I have purchased the matte black discs which state they work with H&R wheel and they do...unfortunately they lack the detail I am looking for...
Any suggestions example and/or photos would help.
Thanks
Chuck Tresp

#2 grooverunner

grooverunner

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hi Chuck,

Best two people that can answer your question is Rick his user name is DC-65X or Paul his user name is Pablo . They would give you the best advise on gluing in and turning down the wheel inserts , as they do it for there vintage builds a lot. Most likely one of them will answer your question soon.

Ken

Ken  Hill

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Hi Chuck,

There are different ways to turn down model kit wheels into slot car wheel inserts. I use a hobby lathe:

Lotus%2023%20-%20Porsche%2014.jpg

Finished wheel insert on the right:

Lotus%2023%20-%20Porsche%2013.jpg

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#4 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Maybe find some pictures of the '70s stock cars but sometime in that decade the cars switched away from passenger car wheels to wheels that I think were built by Kenny Weld. Five oval holes that look a lot like one of the Pro-Track versions.

Forty something years overloads my memory! :)
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop