9 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

I've tried to embed the Vimeo video here, but have failed miserably. I simply cannot find it on Vimeo and that surprises me. So all I can post here is a link.

But this is a very important message: the connection between 1:1 racing and model car racing has never been promoted or 'leveraged' in the way it should have been... IMO. How many racers sitting in a cheap hobby or street stock, or even the spectators in the stands, could have been attracted to slot car racing, with its much cheaper costs and far less danger? No one really knows, because the 'industry,' if I can term it that, has never tried to promote that angle.

I wonder how many here are aware how many former 1:1 racers now practice this hobby? I could mention many names...

sppedsport.jpg

From Short Tracks To Slot Cars
  • spudboy, Mach9, Eddie Fleming and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Great vid...   

Listed as 'private' on Vimeo... I was able to 'like' it, but could not save it to my slot car album... Strange...

Maybe they will release it later in the month...  

Videos Dushkwoneshe likes  - Just to show the 'private' header...
  • Cheater likes this

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#3 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,195 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Nice video.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#4 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

The guy I learned how to build motors from, Roland Lapierre Jr, was a prominent Modified racer here in New England and on the east coast in general.

One of the local short track legends, "Radical" Rick Martin currently has a small four-lane oval in his race shop in Massachusetts. He has four or five different classes (mostly open wheel, modifieds/super modifieds, etc.) and has races two nights a week during the racing off-season.

Most of the people who go there are current racers or former racers.
  • Cheater and CDavis7 like this
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#5 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Cool video and cool slot car track. I got involved with "commercial" slot cars in 1965-66, but then the hobby died off, in my area (Rochester, NY). It revived again, in the early 1980s, for a couple of years, then tapered off again. And yes, like some of the guys that were spoken to in the video, I was also involved with a couple of "real" oval track cars, during my life.

Lon Boyer

#6 Ricky Vegas

Ricky Vegas

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Awesome video and slot racing promo.

Really enjoyed it! 

Richard Hill

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."  - Steve McQueen

#7 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Cool video and cool slot car track. I got involved with "commercial" slot cars in 1965-66, but then the hobby died off, in my area (Rochester, NY). It revived again, in the early 1980s, for a couple of years, then tapered off again. And yes, like some of the guys that were spoken to in the video, I was also involved with a couple of "real" oval track cars, during my life.

There's still a track open in Rochester, NY. I take my kids there and they have several classes of racing.

#8 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

"But this is a very important message: the connection between 1:1 racing and model car racing has never been promoted or 'leveraged' in the way it should have been..."

Agreed, Greg, very important!

"... because the 'industry,' if I can term it that, has never tried to promote that angle."

Has there ever really been an industry? As best I can tell the TOA was a bust. Pfeiffer, DeBella, Koford, Gerding, and a few others have had longstanding slotcar businesses but I never sensed there was an "industry."

The only thing I ever saw that seemed to remotely suggest an industry was the material that American Model Raceways published those many years ago that spoke about how to se tup and run a commercial raceway.

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,308 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

"... because the 'industry,' if I can term it that, has never tried to promote that angle."

]Has there ever really been an industry? As best I can tell the TOA was a bust.

I agree the TOA never got a lot of traction, which was usually blamed on the fact that less than half the raceway owners in the US joined as they seemingly didn't see any value coming their way from the membership fee ($60 I vaguely recall).

But the TOA's mission, as I understand it, was to support the raceway owners with info on lower-cost liability insurance, free email, etc., and to foster communication and the sharing of ideas within the raceway owner community. As far as I know, the TOA did not attempt to position, promote, market, advocate for slot car racing outside of the raceway ownership fraternity.

As I have maintained for quite a long time, I believe the notable lack of any organization or body advocating for the activity itself (without having as a primary goal the of moving product) is the fatal gene in slot racing's DNA. All one has to do is to look at other hobbies and activities, competitive or not, to see this.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Lionel just announced a free phone app. You can control the train's functions remotely from your phone. Heard this on 1010 News.   

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

Electric Dreams Online Shop