4 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

So, with my ever-dwindling supply of salvageable Muras, I had one with a huge blob of solder that had some pretty good pitting underneath (acid, no doubt). So... I chucked the can up on the lathe, made some light cuts, and then spun it to sand it down afterwards. I didn't get all the pitting out, but I think I could have with a bit more... "enthusiasm." Anywho, it came out good enough to give it the shine afterwards.

Shiny%20Mura%20Comp_zps8eo6ufvw.jpg
  • MSwiss, Tex, boxerdog and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

More work on this lovely motor.  

I made a set of buss bars (the motor originally had regular lead wire tabs), and finished assembly of the endbell after cleaning up all the rest of the hardware. Because I'm leaving the motor with a polished finish, I figured I better provide a means of bracing the motor so it can be installed in a chassis without subjecting the finish to all the nastiness of acid. I installed a "quick change" tube to the back side of the motor so a piano wire brace can be soldered to the chassis and simply slipped onto the motor. That way, installing or removing the motor just involves rotating the motor up or down after removing the can screws. The can mounting screw holes on the motor were either not used or lightly used, so they aren't bulged or otherwise mangled.

Inside, the motor had a set of the proper long magnets that are getting kind of scarce. So many of these have the shorter magnets that (I guess) were replaced later, so this is always a nice surprise. After cleaning them (and the clips) up from all the weird goop that tends to accumulate on magnets, they have no chips or any other damage, and look "better than new."

I'll build and wind a longer armature as appropriate for the magnets and setup, probably a #26. The can also got a 2mm x 6mm bearing.

All together, I think it's turning out to be a nifty "rescue"!

IMG_1996_zpszwpa5th4.jpg

IMG_1997_zpsmtnphkhc.jpg

IMG_1998_zpsodt6brtk.jpg

• Cheater, slotbaker, Pablo and 5 others like this
John Havlicek

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

...and BAM!  A super-nice #26awg on a .480-ish long (*before powder coating) stack.  The arm comes in at 'zackly .078 ohms per pole and should be a real runner.  Not quite as "kraazzee" as a #25, but as the racers say: "you only get to win the race if you finish"!   :D  I think it's also a pretty "different" Green Can, between the polish finish and the one-off buss bars.  Having the proper magnets in there is a nice little plus too...at least for those who care about such things!  I'll have the arm ground down to around .513" OD as these things seem to have been done by Mura.  Maybe a couple of thousandths over, but no more than .515".

IMG_1999_zpsfu0q2bwz.jpg

-john

• slotbaker, boxerdog, C. J. Bupgoo and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

She's Mighty Purty :good:

Cheers

• havlicek and gotboostedvr6 like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Bill.  I'm kinda smitten with her m'self ;)

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop