3 replies to this topic

#1 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Fellas,

A few years ago I picked up a 1/32 car I found on eBay as I realized it was sporting a Bonner motor, and I wanted to try my hand at modding it as done in the early 60's.  Well, I hacked the hell out of the thing to the point of FUBAR, and threw the whole project in a bag under a desk in a drawer on a bump on a log in the hole in the bottom of the sea.

Recently I resurrected the project and picked up a couple Bonner motors from fellow SlotBlogger boxerdog and set out to restore the car.

Here are some photos:

HPIM1121.JPG

It looks like the original owner built the car out of a hand-made chassis made of bent brass, lined up some holes for the motor, put the Bonner in and added with nice beveled gears and rather plain-Jane wheels/tires.  

HPIM1124.JPG

I am not sure of the make of the body, it is a hard body with three mounting posts, one in the front just ahead of the cockpit near the guide flag and two in the rear.  You can see the holes in the rear that the screws go through to meet the body posts.  Would love to have someone ID the body (Cooper?) and brand, I'm thinking either Revell or Strombecker.

Last night I fitted one of the new motors to the chassis with some modern screws, soldered in a new ten-tooth beveled pinion, and finished off by soldering some Cox Super Flex lead wire to an older Dynamic flag I had.  Spins up nice on the power supply.

The fit is a little precarious but I hope to test drive it Saturday.

Here are the rest of the pictures:

HPIM1122.JPG

HPIM1123.JPG

HPIM1125.JPG

HPIM1126.JPG

Thanks for taking a look, I think she looks pretty neat and I'm quite happy she's restored.

Best regards,

Mikey

• Pablo, Tex and boxerdog like this

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

Mikey,

Great job on the restoration !!!   :good: :good: :good: Monogram made the body.

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#3 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

Monogram Cooper Monaco/King Cobra .  This one and the second generation shell with open rear wheel wells are currently available under MRRC and Revel/Monogram branding.

May need to add bracing to keep the gear mesh from chewing teeth with that frame.  My old  Bonner cars used a 'U' channel aluminum that I formed from flat stock.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:35 AM

I was just reading Bob Braverman's article on hopping up the Bonner in an old Rod & Custom Models magazine (November 64). Can post if you want. 

Good find Mikey and nice restoration. I've found a few of these period Bonner powered cars over the years; it was originally a 3-4 volt servo motor, that's why it runs well on 12 volts! 

Don 

• Ramcatlarry likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop