Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Vintage Cox Galaxy 500 Dan Gurney slot car scrap parts manufacturing lot

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Kind of neat to see this, no doubt something from the Cox factory. Possible it came by way of REH.

Clearly shows the jigs that were used to solder the Gurney frames together. Curious minds have always wondered how they were held in place to solder. I wonder if one set of jigs was all they had and if they built one frame at a time.

I would expect this to bring a few $$$.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#2 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Super-cool.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

That's quite a find! I bet a quarter Dokk or Scott bids on it and wins.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,404 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

The parts might become more valuable than the jigs.

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#5 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Aluminum fixturing for soldering... things that make you go hmmm....
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#6 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm curious why there's no nickel-plated parts in the parts bins.
Rich Roberts

#7 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

I haven't seen mine in about 48 years, but I'm guessing they were plated after assembly.
  • Frank Godbey likes this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

If it all came cheap enough, Mike, it might be something to investigate. A vintage NASCAR class might stir up some interest. The '60s era stock car bodies are available.

If I was in better health I might investigate it. The soldering I could do sitting down.

#9 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

A few parts and the jigs would be an interesting item to keep for posterity, but putting together 20-30 frames and getting them plated would be my goal with that stuff, then somebody can buy a few pieces and the jigs!!
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Looking at all this stuff now, I am not so sure that this is genuine Cox material.

About 15-18 years ago, someone was going to build Cox Galaxie replica chassis here in the USA, and had a whole bunch of parts made, plus fixtures to solder the chassis together. That person died shortly after the project had begun. I was to be a retailer for some of the product.

Under close observation, I am beginning to believe that this is the stuff in question, as there are some things in these trays that do not appear genuine, and an assembly of other parts that appear to be an accumulation of stuff that does not belong.

Also the jigs appear to be CNC machined, something impossible in 1966... hence... ????

#11 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

There is a whole tray of motor clips (if original) which are harder to find than a Trump supporter in Frisco. Seen them go for $20 apiece. 

One important note, no front wheels. Just try and find the correct originals.   :dash2:

Joe Lupo

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Joe, I like your metaphor...  :)

I have plenty of the original clips.

Front wheels might be missing in this lot because I suspect more and more that this is not Cox stuff, but replicas.

#13 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

P,

There is/was a well known east coaster that was going to do repro frames also. He had all the pieces cut and made and had somebody that was going to solder them, but after doing just a couple the solder guy said it wasn't worth what he was paid. The guy did send me one complete frame that was plated and it was a nice repro.

I have no idea where the other pre-cut parts went and that was 20 years ago or so. Didn't think about the CNC work. It may be newer stuff.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

Matt,

Could be the same deal right here. The more I look at this stuff, the more I think that it is relatively recent. The parts look too sharp to be stamped; they look more like wire EDM cut.

#15 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

With the current bid pushing $600, I would not want to get involved. Whether the parts are new or originals, any chassis built from them will be replicas. For under $500, there are enough pre-cut parts to make it a worth while project, assuming you could get the locals to support a vintage NASCAR class.

Plus there are some wheels and tires that could be sold separately. I would not be inclined to use those for the cars, but rather some that are currently available.

#16 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I think Beltran Racing is the same individual who last fall seemed to sell different Gurney Fords each week. This went on for several months. He started out selling some top quality cars, but ended up selling junk. He must have sold 35-40 cars in total. I use to wonder why he collected that many. Maybe this auction is his parts stash to come out with his own stocker version or they could be repair parts left over from those he did sell. Any of his cars I looked at last fall had plated chassis with no raw brass being shown. Notice this parts lot is missing the red rubber bands for the guide. :)

If somebody wants to start a NASCAR class, they could come up with a better handling chassis than this one. I never owned one, but people who did say they handled like a pig.

• Frank Godbey likes this

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#17 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

I think this has gone beyond what it is worth. At a couple hundred, it might have been fun to build a few frames and sell a few, but at the likely closing price it isn't worth buying it just to "play" with the stuff. Since this isn't original Cox stuff, the collector value is not there.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#18 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

As expected, Scott bought the lot. Yesterday I as able to inspect the stuff for him. The answer is in: all the parts and tooling are of recent vintage and did not come from Cox. There are small differences between these parts and the real thing. However, the parts are nicely made and the tooling is amazing.

I think that Electric Dreams will now sell complete chassis kits where all one has to do is to solder the parts together; it hardly even needs a jig. There is no need for filing, grinding, adjusting or any work on the parts, just "glue" them together. The kits are complete, just add motor and a body. It's like Lego, just add solder and send it to be nickel plated.

If you cannot find or cannot afford the real thing, these will fill the gap quite nicely. I cannot believe that someone went to so much trouble making these and with so much precision... and I am petty sure that the cost in man-hour and material was a bit staggering!

I am sure that K&S Metals provided the brass tubing, and the brass plates appear to have been either EDM-wire cut or water-jet cut. Splendid work. I will post pictures of all the parts.

To be continued...

• Cheater, slotbaker, Pete L. and 7 others like this

#19 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

Fantastic news PdL :D

Would dearly love a stocker but not at original prices. Will keep an eye on Electric Dreams avidly for more info!

#20 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

This is the kit that will be soon marketed by Electric Dreams. The parts are very accurate and rather well made, the toolmaker knew what he was doing. This should be a breeze to put together and give to your local nickel plating outfit for a nice finish. Some will be "complete" kits with axles, wheels and tires:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Others will be offered "naked":

6.jpg

There will also be some options such as a set of original front wheels, but these will not come cheap.

14.jpg

For the ones who do not have an original chassis and are willing to put a little effort, this will be a much less expensive solution and the final result depending on the builder's soldering talent, should be almost impossible to tell from the real thing, save for the motor clip that is narrower.

• Neckcheese, tonyp, Samiam and 1 other like this

#21 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Sweet looking parts PdL!

*waits for the kits to drop and find out the $$ so I can build one* :D

#22 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

Sometimes in the next two weeks I believe, the kits will be made available. There are enough parts to make about two dozens, and that will be it.

#23 slotcarcol

slotcarcol

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

Hi Philippe,

Would it be possible to somehow mark a small piece on one of these kits so that once they are put together they could not be passed off as original Cox?

These look like very good reproductions, and it may happen that some day in the future they could be resold as genuine Gurney chassis.

Thanks,

Col.

• Frank Godbey and Samiam like this
Colin Neaton

Electric Dreams Online Shop