Photo

Justin Colvin races Indy champ Alexander Rossi and wins!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

It's always nice to see a raceway get great exposure on local TV.

Fast Track Hobbies is a well-regarded raceway in Rocklin, CA, about 20 miles from Sacramento.

2016 Indy 500 champ Alexander Rossi lives in Nevada City, CA, about 60 miles northeast of Sacramento and the Andretti Autosport IndyCar team was in town this week (along with many other Honda-powered IndyCar teams) for some testing at Sonoma prior to this weekend's season-ending race at the track.

So the situation was tailor-made for a little promotional spot on the local CBS affiliate KMAX-TV's 'Good Day Sacramento" morning show today.

• MSwiss, team burrito, Howie Ursaner and 2 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Excellent!

Tim Homola
JK Products

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

I think Justin was deliberately "keeping it close" so as not to embarrass Rossi. Makes better TV as well. :)

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#4 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Now throw Justin in an Indy car!!!

David Cummerow

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

Talked to Fast Track Hobbie's owner Dwight Adamson this afternoon, as I had a couple of questions I wanted to run by him.

One was whether he had reached out to generate this spot on Good Day Sacramento or whether they called him, and he confirmed it was the latter.

Just a few days ago Dwight got a call from a GDS producer indicating that they were going to have Rossi on the show today and were looking for some racing tie-in for the spot. The producer told Dwight that he must have a lot of friends, because numerous people recommended they contact him for a racing-related activity to accompany Rossi. And he also apologized for calling on such short notice, but that seems to be the nature of TV, at least in my experience.

Dwight has to get his portable oval to the TV station at 4:30 AM (!), because it takes a couple of hours to set up. (The show actually runs from 4:30 to 10 AM every weekday.) Momma Adamson didn't raise no dummy, as that Fast Track Hobbies screen advertising the raceway in the background during the broadcast proves.

Here's some candid pics of the shoot, snagged from Michael Colvin's Facebook page, that testify to the early hour. Note the satellite dishes in the background of the second photo; they definitely seem to have been located on the TV studio property.

gd1a.jpg

gd2a.jpg

gd3a.jpg

gd5a.jpg

Justin painted up a car to match as closely as he could Rossi's Indy-winning Honda-powered car, using decals from multiple sets.

r4a.jpg

r3a.jpg

r7.jpg

r2a.jpg

Rossi was kind enough to autograph the car for Justin; his signature can be seen on the RR in the first picture of the car above. It's worth mentioning that Dwight told me that Alexander Rossi was a super nice guy during and after the shooting

gd9a.jpg

Here's Alexander Rossi lapping the FTH portable oval with Justin's replica of his Indy 500 winning car.

gd10a.jpg

• Half Fast and boxerdog like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

That's really awesome. Every raceway should have a portable track.
  • MSwiss likes this

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

After the on-air segment, the Good Day Sacramento hosts got in a little racing off the air, too.

• hjames likes this

Gregory Wells

#8 Dwight404

Dwight404

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

Hey everyone,

Cheater, thanks for the great write-up! We were all surprised how fast you got this posted but in our defense we were all still sleepwalking.

Everyone at Good Day Sacramento was great and while it was early it was well worth it! I would like to thank Good Day Sacramento and Jason for having us on this morning.

Alexander Rossi is a cool dude and it was great to hang out with him. We wish him luck in all of his future races and maybe someday he'll get a second chance at racing Justin.

BTW, Greg, "Momma Adamson" can be seen in some of the videos racing on the red lane!

I want to thank my parents, Randy Keil, and Michael, Justin, and Tyler Colvin for helping set up and making this event work. I also want to thank Scott Cone for masking up the F1 body and I believe Icehouse may have supplied some of the decals so thanks, Greg, for helping out.  I also wish to thank Crusin Bob for making a great portable track!

Today was truly a group effort.

Dwight

Fast Track Hobbies

• Cheater, Half Fast and boxerdog like this
Dwight Adamson

Fast Track Hobbies

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

As a final thought, if anyone wonders why I started with the video labeled "Rossi Race Challenge Pt. 2," it's because part 1 only referred to a previous Rossi appearance on Good Day Sacramento and contained no slot racing content.

Gregory Wells

#10 MikeC

MikeC

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Might I add, Fast Track is one of the tracks bidding for the 2018 USRA Division II Nats...   :D

It was really a fun experience. Alexander was asking Justin all kinds of questions about slot cars, if they could be hopped up, etc. Alexander seemed surprised to learn there were different tire compounds and that there were all kinds of things you could do setup-wise to the cars.  The two talked quite a bit, it was cool to see...

As for the event, it was Wednesday that Good Day called Dwight, and he called us. Wednesday afternoon/evening, Justin and I talked about him building a replica car. That evening, Justin emailed Tim at JK and asked him to overnight a couple of the JK Indy Car bodies (JK6113B) that was the closest match to the 2016 Indy Car body. 

Wednesday evening and Thursday, Dwight reached out to several track regulars and rallied the troops to help load the track, deliver it, and set it up Monday morning, on quite short notice. Schedules were adjusted, plans changed, and he made it happen.

Friday was a preparation day for our "NorCal SCRA" series race, this month being held at Fast Track Hobbies, so Justin had his cars, his brother's cars, as well as several other local racer's cars, to prep and have ready for the race on Saturday, so there was little time to do much work on the body. Dwight had to prepare the facility for the NorCal race, as well as continue planning and preparing for the TV event on Monday.

Saturday was the NorCal race, with 66 entries total, plus an impromptu 1/24 Eurosport race immediately following the four standard NorCal classes. (NASCAR, NASTRUCK, LMP, and GT-12), so it was a very long day!

Justin had to work at Fast Track on Sunday, so Scott Cone took on the challenge of masking off the Indy bodies, spending several hours to complete them. That evening, Justin painted them, detailed them, and then mounted them, finishing around 1:30 AM. He got a quick nap, then was back up and heading to the TV station by 4 AM.

The rest, as they say, is history. Everything went off without a hitch and everyone had a great time!

This just shows the dedication that Dwight and the racers at Fast Track Hobbies have for promoting our sport/hobby and for ensuring any event they are involved in is a success. I'm confident that the 2018 USRA Nats, should they win, will be another example! I would expect similar media exposure would be attracted, if they host the event.

Either of the two tracks in this year's bid will undoubtedly have excellent events. Both have capable tracks. I think having a variety of locations host the event is good for the hobby.

• Cheater, Half Fast and boxerdog like this

Michael Colvin

- Pit dads of the world unite! -

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

Seems like Good Day Sacramento has always been digging for content to air. LOL.

Here's a video of Fast Track and Justin being spotlighted on GDS in 2012.

Gregory Wells

#12 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Such a great shop. Hope the locals really support these guys. Most of us can only wish we had a facility like that within a moderate drivel
  • Cheater likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#13 MikeC

MikeC

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

That last video was shortly after moving into that building. Lighting, stocking, signage, pit space... All have improved since then, as more recent photos/video's show.  

I think the local racers do appreciate the work Dwight puts into the facility. The racers in NorCal are truly spoiled with four quality tracks, all within two hours of each other (Fast Track in Rocklin, Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park, MoTown Raceway in Modesto, and Eddie's Slot Car World in Vallejo). Then we have two more tracks not too far off, with Fun Time in Lakeport and P1 Hobbies in Ukiah. Plus a really nice 1/32 track at Sidewinder Raceway and Hobbies in Rancho Cordova (Suburb of Sacramento). Add to that the SoCal tracks, and California racers are quite spoiled...
  • Cheater and Samiam like this

Michael Colvin

- Pit dads of the world unite! -

#14 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

FTH is on the NorCal Retro rotation as well. Have been to the track but have not raced there. We're lucky to have multiple tracks within driving distance.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop