Photo

3D printing vintage anglewinder chassis/wing car - doable?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

Can this be done,is it worth pursuing.
Bruce Schwartz

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

There are some chassis available that are 3D printed Bruce.  I'm not aware of any anglewinders, but here's an inline:

674x501_7462531_6208314_1491146432.jpg

Now, I'm not sure how you'd 3D print a "vintage" anglewinder, since they were pretty much tube, rod and music wire, but it would surely not be any trouble to print something like the above in an anglewinder configuration.

John Havlicek

#3 YetiSRP

YetiSRP

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Many years ago, Parma had, what I seem to remember as, an injection-molded anglewinder chassis. Something like that existed because I had it in my hand. My guess was Parma didn't actually manufacture it. It went to the old Slot Shop for testing and evaluation.

I remember that it didn't handle very well but more importantly was, it broke rather easily and there was no way to repair it. I seem to remember that it broke in an upright area on the gear side.

Take that for what its worth.

Jim Bandes

#4 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

If you scanned a Bob emott chassis and used let's say some carbon fibre mix it would work but not be functional as the original.

So let's say you had a chassis kit like Tony made and scanned all the parts individually,again in a sort of carbon fibre mix theoretically wouldn't it work,then assembly with a reinforced epoxy (like the epoxy putty which is set as strong as steel,the you'd have what would be as strong as a McClaren and as light as a feather.

My thought on it,hey if the can 3D print houses,ya never know.

There's probably a way of 3D printing using liquid metal,probably and do everything we want like cloned Nutley bat pans and drop arms. (Or like they grew and ear on a mouses back,we'll harvest Nutley chassis parts,lol.
Bruce Schwartz

#5 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

Can this be done,  NO

is it worth pursuing.   NO

The expense of printing metal is close to making this a nonstarter.

The ratio of resolution to piece size is a show stopper at this time.

Mixing brass and steel is not possible.

Changing to CF or plastic will create a visual copy without function.

• Half Fast likes this
Bob Schlain

#6 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Not if you create all individual parts to be assembled,and perhaps like pbc glue and pbc pipe isn't that like a weld,now it would depend on the right strength and durable plastic(Lexan and there's acrylic glues that are used to glue Lucie together like steel) that has a glue like pbc glue,and the parts can be plated to look like brass or silver colored,so it would be a matter of gluing parts together correctly. (I don't know if it could create with a lexan type medium or if there's anything that exists like that.Now John showed a 3D plastic car but most likely that weaker,but who knows,but they could probably produce individual components that can be assembled.

I'll ask a company and get back to yall

Brass colored pieces and wire colored pieces with tubing and durable glue.

But for now let's ask the star trek computer to create our emott clones for us.
Bruce Schwartz

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

My question is "why"? The whole precept of having a vintage slot car is that it is vintage. And even if if is

a new build, the idea is to build it the same way it was done "back in the day", and from the same materials.

A 3-D printed chassis will certainly not act the same on track as the authentic one. So you won't get the same

thrill of re-living those days.

I would be more inclined to have the brass sheet pieces water jetted, and the rods cut to length using a jig. 

• Half Fast, old & gray and Samiam like this

#8 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

I agree. I would like to see some re pop drop arms, pans, and motor brackets using today's cutting techniques.

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#9 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

When something is built by a craftsman with traditional materials it takes on quality a soul in my opinion. I admit I am old school and that is where I am comfortable. I realize robots and computers are in most aspect of our lives I for one am sticking to old school methods.Paying homage to the way the pros did it back in the day.

Don't we have enough plastic crap in the world. Craftsmen(people) build on.

• Eddie Fleming likes this
Martin Windmill

#10 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

Unfortunately cars will never be built the way they were when they were first invented

Automation is irreversibly changing the way society accomplishes work,more and more automation.
Bruce Schwartz

#11 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Are we gearing up for mass production. Did vintage slot cars explode in popularity while I was not looking. Automating is great stuff for an appliance.  What I am saying is keep the hand craft in our hobby. I value this aspect.

I know I can buy a flexy chassis for $10, they have no interest to me, I not saying they do not serve a purpose, they do, just not for me.

If you are truly looking for the answer to your question "Can this be done,(YES)is it worth pursuing" My answer is NO. Keep robotics out of my hobby. Maybe you could make an autonomous slot car so you don't even have to drive it Then you can take all the enjoyment, skill and self worth out the sport,it would never de-slot. That's progress? I am so grateful that in my profession I do not have to look over my shoulder to see if there is an I robot warming up to take over. Luddites unite.

I am thinking you might just be winding me up ?

Martin Windmill

Electric Dreams Online Shop