• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

i am getting ready to set up a 4 lane h.o. track. I have been accumulating original Aurora Thunderjet track pieces and accessories for many, many years and would like to create a track layout using all of the various tracks (cobblestone, hills, squeeze, etc etc). So before i design the layout, i am thinking that the track pieces will need to be cleaned good before assembly, due to age. So- i need advice of the best method to clean the rails and rail ends, and the plastic track itself, as well as best method to mainain it after assembly. thanks T-jet fans!!  

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Before going any further, I would strongly suggest setting up a small test track first. A simple oval will suffice. If the clackity-clack doesn't drive you mad, then go ahead with a larger set up.

• garyvmachines likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#3 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

Old track Uhg!

What is your purpose? Making a diorama with scenery and an HO train? The speed of the car is irrelevant.  Aurora lock and joiner track is charming in this application with all the accessories like RR crossing and turnout stuff.

Racing ? Have you ever ran a modern milled track? Dan Cronin of VSR now has a 3 lane track kit that is one piece for under $400!  It is sized just right to fit on a table fashioned from a door.

I think he may have these in stock ready to ship. In the fall I plan to have him do one for me with 4 lanes to fit on a 4x8. 

But if you do use old track you would be wise to treat it liberally with Armorall. Yes that will make it slippery at first but once you get it run in it will be better. Believe me.

And use a brush wire wheel in a dremel to brighten those miserable rail end tabs.

Good luck!

• SlotStox#53 likes this
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#4 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

why you ask? i want to re-create the late 1960's with all original track and cars. No, not for serious racing, but for serious FUN!  yes i know the difference between old noisy lock and joiner track. Kinda the difference between a '70 original 'Cuda and a new Challenger. Both are good for their intended purposes. :) 

• Horsepower, chaparrAL, Frank Godbey and 1 other like this

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#5 HarkinsB

HarkinsB

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

Hi kinda did something similar recently but with LifeLike track. Actually have Aurora set but with too many missing parts, the LL track made it easier and cheaper.
Cleaning use goo gone on the plastic followed by Armorall as was suggested. Track was slippery at first and it took some time to wear in the four lanes on 4x16 but now its great. BTW right now this is an outdoor setup, no way have room for that size indoors. Central Jersey has had a lot of rain lately, so I had to work at keeping thing dry. So far it's been great, all my friends were amazed at the size and speed. Good luck with your 60's setup
  • Horsepower likes this
Bob Harkins

#6 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

Wow three post from NJ ,all from central.

Glen would be cool with some of Aurora Buildings please post when complete.

SJJ

John Falzarano

Electric Dreams Online Shop