• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:38 AM

The usual winter craziness of my field of work was much exacerbated by the new job and an absolutely crazy winter. However, stuff is finally winding it's way down a bit and I'll be getting back on track (pun!). I'll be heading to Eddies this weekend to tune and test and chip away at the rust. I will be posting on that early next week. I'll be there for the weekend following for our race and will have some loaner cars as usual.

To allay some rumors, I am not moving to SoCal at this time. Yes, my new employer has asked if I'd consider that if the situation arose, and yes, I said I'd consider it. However, there is not an offer on the table at this time because any expansion down there is a minimum of two years out. So.....ya'll are stuck with me for some time at least within the limited capacity that the new job allows.

I don't have any new slot car pics to post b/c I haven't been on the Jig for four months. I have some crazy ideas to try out but nothing yet. In absence of that, here are some other car pics that sort of reflect life for me this year.

Heading to work, my car is the lump at near left

DSC02749.JPG

Coming home for lunch

DSC02750.JPG

Some folks didn't dig out on this day

DSC02754.JPG

• Mike K, Tim Neja and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

It looked similar to that around here last week. But Monday was 71 F & Tuesday was 83 F. Now most everything, including the woods, is looking toasted browns.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Jim F - what part of the State do you live in? Tahoe?

:)

Ron Thornton

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

AWSOME!! I know you spent about 5 years wishing for MORE snow!!! But as always--BE CAREFUL what you wish for!!  Good you have strong business this year---and good luck with SOCal possibility!! In 2 years--I'll be up in the Central Coast area!! Planning on driving UP to race with you NorCal guys!! And South to still play with the BPR guys!!  I'm hoping Fosters is still running when I get up there!!  Happy Easter Jimbo!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Whoa! That is a load of snow. Hope to see ya in May at BPR. Got snow shoes Jim?

Tom Eatherly

#6 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:39 PM

Zipity , it's Truckee which is colder than Tahoe. You'd love it! TY Jim, hope everything is well for you.

#7 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

We stopped at Truckee for a milkshake during our USA visit in 2003.

A lovely little town :)

Ron Thornton

#8 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

Thanks guys. The pics that I posted were more or less indicative of the whole year. A lot of snow early and more and more later on has kept me busy. The new job and finding some new ways to market it have kept me busier still. I'm still working a regular schedule through the 1st week of May but can mostly write my own schedule at this point. By May 7, I hope to be mostly freed up for the summer to hike, fish and travel to races. I'll be leaving tomorrow AM for Eddies for my first trip out the whole year. I basically haven't even thought about slot cars since November. I have a couple of pretty trick F-1s that I just stared working with in November, that I really want to start to shake out. My Can Am group is pretty good as is but have some new ideas too. There will be more from me as the saddle cinches up and I learn to sit the trot again...............

Meanwhile, here's a look at an F-1 that has shown good promise but needs development. The closer you look, the more you'll see......

DSC02656.JPG

DSC02658-001.JPG

• Tim Neja, Phil Smith, Tom Eatherly and 1 other like this
Jim Fowler

#9 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

Wow! Beautiful craftsmanship.
Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#10 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

I have a close relative who lives about 50 miles north of Truckee. I never thought -5F temperatures occured in California but it does! I'm too much of a "beach" guy to relate!

• JimF likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#11 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

I have a close relative who lives about 50 miles north of Truckee. I never thought -5F temperatures occured in California but it does! I'm too much of a "beach" guy to relate!

Funny thing, I grew up in a beach town in so cal and when I first moved here, I was sorta stunned. Turns out Truckee is often the coldest spot in the lower 48 a few times each year. With the huge amounts of snow, you'd think that would've happened this year too but the storms have sorta warm. We get below zero of course but it's not unheard of for us to hit -10 or even -15. I don't think that's happened this year.

Jim Fowler

#12 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Wow! Beautiful craftsmanship.

Thanks. Turns out this chassis(s) was really good today. Actually I have two of 'em that vary a little bit. Both were excellent.

• Tim Neja and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#13 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Funny thing, I grew up in a beach town in so cal and when I first moved here, I was sorta stunned. Turns out Truckee is often the coldest spot in the lower 48 a few times each year. With the huge amounts of snow, you'd think that would've happened this year too but the storms have sorta warm. We get below zero of course but it's not unheard of for us to hit -10 or even -15. I don't think that's happened this year.

When you first moved up to Truckee did you get the "cotton kills" speech?

• JimF likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#14 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

Nahhhh..........I'd already had that. I've been in sporting goods retailing for most all my life and by the time I got there, I already knew that length of rope.

Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop