• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

Well,I am still trying to decide about a brass chassis build here,but have not totally decided on what to do.I have looked at  a retro 36 D inline  "jail door" style chassis that Pablo has built,but now am thinking of an angle winder style chassis possibly????? 

I have a Shinoda Lamprey. body I have been keeping put back for awhile now,and am considering doing a fairly "wild" type of chassis to go along with it. But for the fact i am NOt very knowledgeable about the era of slot cars past 1967 and on and have NEVER raced them before,I  have several questions as to what I need to even consider building .

#1 What style/type  of chassis would be "period correct" for the Lamprey of that era and would it ever be able to be raced anywhere currently?

#2 Would I be better off to do a more modern chassis build? I like the style of chassis that is in "Bill form NHs" Avatar,but do not know if it is a modern race style chassis???

#3 With all of these questions I am asking,can anyone give me a "Cliff Notes" version of the evolution of slot car builds from the late 60s up till now??? (Or is this a "TOO loaded" of a question/topic  to easily cover?????) I am able to assemble just about anything,but truly DO NOT know how to start off building any type of SERIOUS slot car and what to be doing as far as set up and what I should be looking to do????

I feel really lost here............ :to_take_umbrage:

http://slotblog.net/...-chassis-ideas/

Michael J. Boruff

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

That chassis in my avatar is awing car chassis from the early 90's. I didn't build it, a Cali guy did.

I'm no expert on thingies. I'm not even sure I know what a Lamprey looks like or if it ever had a "period correct" chassis. It's my understanding that thingies aren't raced on any regular or organized basis, so whatever you build, you're apt to just run it around a track whenever you buy track time. After saying all this, if you want to still build a car using the Lamprey body, I'd choose a motor to use & build whatever type & design of chassis that appealed to me & would fit.. Whatever you build, nobody can say it's not "period correct." with any good authority. :laugh2:    On a personal note, I own one thingie body, a Choti I've had ten years. It sits clear & unused because I've never decided what I want to do with it & I've long ago forgotten why I bought it. :) Meanwhile, all the commercial raceways in this area have closed & only a 1/24 hard body club track still exists locally.

To somewhat answer your last question, There isn't any logical progression to slot cars & slot car chassis designs. Some of it is track dependent To keep it simple, we first had inlines & full sidewinders that progressed to anglewinders. Anglewinders are still used today. There are enough different classes within each scale (1/24, 1/32/ 1/43, & HO) to write a book. If you just want to get started in chassis building, you could look at some of the retro race reports posted here on Slotblog to see what they use for chassis. Many of these chassis designs will fit other body styles than just retro ones.  The brass rod "jail door style" may be the simplest design for starters.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Thingies like the Lamprey were always inline 16d or 26d back in 68,and that makes for a simpler build. If I were you I would build a simple jail house door brass rod inline, If you need a 16d motor bracket just PM me and I will be happy to sponsor you. Take a look at what was just found by Mark. Great pics of the kind of chassis I would recommend you build.

Shinoda x3

Attached Images

• post-738-0-19148100-1492974523.jpg

Martin Windmill

#4 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

How "effective" do you think the simpler chassis on the far right was?(Orange bodied car) 

Is their any certain "formula" to follow when doing one of these scratch builds????  

I am considering an angle winder build also. Have not decided which way to go on this scratch build brass yet????   <_<

What motor would one even consider for a 68-70s era car????

Michael J. Boruff

#5 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Inline would be easiest to build with a stock 16d, the more weight the better it will handle. IMO.

Just stay close to a 4" wheelbase and .9" guide lead(front axle to guide pivot) and have fun. I wanted to mention I did not have a frame fixture back in the day. I used squared paper and a young eye. For sure a fixture makes it easier but not mandatory. This angle winder chassis was drawn on squared paper and then built on that drawing. Not sure if I had the paper taped to glass or marble, but something flat that will not suck up all your heat.

This angle winder was a competitive chassis in late 1969, The F1 inline is my reproduction chassis of a design by the great Mike Morrissey in 1967. You cuold add side rails if you wanted a full width car.

Again If you need a 16d inline motor bracket like the one I used below, I also have front wheels and guide if you need, just PM me and I will be happy to sponsor you.

Attached Images

• honda by mgdw.jpg
  • 100_9451.JPG

Martin Windmill

#6 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

BOTH of those cars are awesome Martin!  

Michael J. Boruff

#7 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Michael, Funny to think the angle winder was built when I was 15 the inline was when I was 55. Good to see you back, thought we had lost you?

PM  me your address I will send you a care package.

Martin Windmill

#8 Markomatic

Markomatic

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

Bill, The chassis in your avatar is a box stock chassis by Monte Ohren. I have two. One like yours and another with pans. They were not quite as competitive as the usual chassis of the early 90's but they are built well and Monte was a great guy.

Mark Miller

Mark Miller

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

Mark, I didn't know Monty had built this chassis. I got it & another brass/wire frame on eBay a few years back. All I recall at the moment is they came from CA, but I didn't get them from Monty.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop