32 replies to this topic

#26 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

h5.jpg

Moving into heat six saw Mike retire from his attempted ironman drive and recruited Jim/Phil to take over as Jim/Phil‘s car became terminal from the earlier damages. Craig/Mill solidifying their second place as Eddie/Tim moved into the slow lanes and Marco/Casper starting to challenge Eddie/Tim for third as they move into the fast lanes.

h6.jpg

Heat seven saw an epic battle develop between Eddie/Tim and Marco/Casper. Marco, driving, and moving into third while Eddie, driving, taking his turn on long way around red lane. Going into the last heat, Marco and Eddie still driving, but now next to each other on orange and green lanes, fought it out for a podium spot. Eddie charging hard, closing the gap, but time ran out as Marco had the front straight lead over Eddie.

h7.jpg h8.jpg

Technical analysis on car setup:

cars.jpg

The winning car, Dale/Rick’s, and Eddie/Tim’s car were the fast cars in the race. These two cars used a floating pod setup that seem to run fast in the heavy glue conditions. Comparing to Craig/Mill’s car, with spring suspension, the floating pods feel “free” in the turns which translate to high exit speed. Mill dealt with the heavy glue conditions by, narrowing tires, taping the pod, unloading the front wheels. Dale/Rick’s car also ran a 3D printed chassis that was stiffer than NSR’s stiffest green chassis, and the motor pod was a Slot.it pod which is also stiffer that the NSR pods. So by fate, the low bite chassis setup of Dale/Rick’s car was perfect for the heavy glue race conditions.

• Roy Lievanos likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#27 Marco Carvalho

Marco Carvalho

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Mike, quick question: About this Thunder Slot motor from the winner car. Is that out of a car or did you got it separately? Also, did you cut the axle or you bought the one that comes with the axle cut? Thanks! 

Marco Carvalho

#28 Marco Carvalho

Marco Carvalho

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

I had a interesting race with Casper. We were both first timers at the flat track. He did the outter lanes and I raced the inner ones. As a result, I did only one lap more than him. 427x426. I'm very impressed how close it is. He drives more agressively, I try to stay on the lane. During practing, he was .060 faster than me on hot laps. 

By the way, we were using a Slot.it Porsche 956 with a Slot.it 21.5k motor, on a sidewinder pod with the suggested gear ratio of around 2.60 on cutted JP Wonder tires (.740 x 10mm). Independent front wheels and a lot of weight to reach the minimum of 70gr. 

Marco Carvalho

#29 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Great race report! I feel like I was actually there!  :-)

Thanks again for everything, Mike. I know you were hoping we would have put our own cars together for the Outlaw class, and some of us did. But your cars were so much BETTER!  

Will there be any more races this season? King Mini Boola Raceway is always ready to host, and now that I know that foam tires work without glue (when treated), we could run them.

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#30 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

Marco,

About this Thunder Slot motor from the winner car. Is that out of a car or did you got it separately?

I purchase them separately from Professor Motor

Also, did you cut the axle or you bought the one that comes with the axle cut? 

I used Koford axles, rear. Hollow Slotting Plus axles up front.

He did the outter lanes and I raced the inner ones. 

Inner lanes are faster, shorter way around.

Eddie,

But your cars were so much BETTER!

Your car was just as fast, but maybe carried too much weight at 83 grams.

(I started to prep cars in May. Trying different setups and cars. And was still working on cars the night before the race.

The winning car was a spare chassis, 3D printed by Amato Slot Car Design, that I put the finishing parts on that evening, as I though some other team would want to race. By hook or crook, it suited the track conditions on race day)

Will there be any more races this season?

It was fun event! Maybe, after I get rested.

Mike Low

#31 Marco Carvalho

Marco Carvalho

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Mike, I was asking you about the axle on the motor. The armature axle. Professor motor offers two options. One is sized other is "dual shaft". So, did you got the "dual shaft" and cutted it or did you buy the version with the short axle?

About the inner/outter lanes, PURPLE and BLACK, in my opinion are the fastest lanes on that track. 

thanks again!

Marco Carvalho

#32 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Mike, I was asking you about the axle on the motor. The armature axle. Professor motor offers two options. One is sized other is "dual shaft". So, did you got the "dual shaft" and cutted it or did you buy the version with the short axle?

I used the short shaft motors

Mike Low

#33 Amato Chassis Design

Amato Chassis Design

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hi All,

I was sent the link to this thread by Mike, and I'm just a bit late with getting on here and posting.

Glad the chassis performed well. It seems to have become a good combination, the Mosler with Slot.It pod. Being a much stiffer chassis helps we find on wood circuits. We run Moslers at our club in open GT and the Mosler is the essential tool in any racers pit box over here in the UK.

I desgin and 3D print all my own chassis' and recently started listing them on Shapeways.com to let more people further afield access them.

Due to the interest the Mosler/Slot.It hybrid has gathered, I've been asked to look at another NSR model, that being the Corvette C7R. I've just completed it and hope to give it a run at our club night tomorrow.

Keep on racing !

Angelo

• bbr likes this
Angelo Amato

England, UK

Electric Dreams Online Shop