• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

In 60+ years of slot racing, I have never veered outside of building "scale" models (WB, track, tire dimensions) first in 1/24 and now exclusively in 1/32.  There have been a lot of chassis experiments - rigid, pivoting, rattle pans, hinged pans, "plumber" style rear pivoted front ends etc.  I read articles and posts describing the more performance oriented branches of the hobby to find tips and techniques that are applicable to my builds.

A common recurring element is a "bite bar" and my question is:  What is it and what is its function?

Thanks

EM

Alan Schwartz

#2 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

As I understand it, When you have a center section (motor box and guide tongue) and a body mounting pan(s), a bite bar is the pin assembly device that is usually just ahead of the motor holding the multiple chassis parts together.  Some looseness of assembly with controlled binding is desired.

• garyvmachines likes this

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#3 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

I bet TonyP could add a lot this conversation.

I've always been told that the farther back the bite is, the more downforce in the rear. Where to locate it was mystery to me, so I'd locate it where the fast guys did. I always wanted to try moving it back as far as possible but I never did. Now most/all Eurosport chassis' have the bite bar way back so it makes me wish I'd tried it.

Body pin mounts was also something just copied because I wasn't sure where to put them.

Phil Smith ® ™

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

I bet TonyP could add a lot this conversation.

I don't think there's much in conversations about chassis, motors and racing in general that Tony P *couldn't* add a whole lot to.  Pretty much, he's already "been there/done that" many many times and all at the expert level.  I'd like to just know the stuff he's forgotten!  :D

• grooverunner likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop