Photo

Spur gear on motor and pinion gear on axle for faster cars?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

I don't understand why we haven't just put spur gears on the armature shafts and a type of pinion gear on axle to make our cars go faster,that's a huge gear ratio.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!
Bruce Schwartz

#2 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Yes.

Those who work for a living are being quickly overwhelmed by those who vote for a living.

Thomas Jefferson: "Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself."
-David Parrotta

#3 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

I'm guessing that it doesn't work as good as you may think........

#4 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yup!
👎🏻
Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

#5 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Why,and who's done it,wiseguy?
Bruce Schwartz

#6 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Jair us suggested a planetary gear setup,this seems straight to the point,with a sidewinder using an idler gear the idler gear is much smaller than the spur gear.now what?
Bruce Schwartz

#7 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Jeff didn't you take 4th place against some pros in the day at Glen oaks,I think I saw a photo of you in car model.
Bruce Schwartz

#8 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Probably because real cars do it the same way.  The pinion gear is connected to the engine indirectly and the spur (ring gear) is connected to the rear axles.  That's what makes it real, man.

Fred Younkin

#9 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

I was looking for my 1 novice car race write where I didn't horribly,and have been coming across others,from here,we all probably met in the day but wouldn't know it by photos or names,especially I didn't know everybody's name,and remembering how we looked 100 years ago,and how we look now.
Bruce Schwartz

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

I don't understand why we haven't just put spur gears on the armature shafts and a type of pinion gear on axle to make our cars go faster,that's a huge gear ratio.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!

All sarcasm aside, because it doesn't work like that. I don't know of any slot motor/car combo with an over driven final drive ratio.

Try putting a 14t pinion on your motor and a 26t spur on the axle. I can pretty much guarantee you won't be able to keep the smoke from leaking out of your motor. 

• garyvmachines likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

I think that someone a while back set up a crazy long Scalextric track across the pond for a world record speed attempt with a slot car...well...a record for a slot car that is.  I'm figuring they probably did some crazy gear ratio for that thing.

-john

John Havlicek

#12 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

I was looking for my 1 novice car race write where I didn't horribly,and have been coming across others,from here,we all probably met in the day but wouldn't know it by photos or names,especially I didn't know everybody's name,and remembering how we looked 100 years ago,and how we look now.

Not sure what this means.   Can you make it a little clearer?

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#13 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

Sorry for the gibberish.

Let me wipe the drool from my mouth.

I'll summarize,in looking through my car model DVD I was looking for 1 race I was in at Glen oaks raceway which spoke about my misfortunes,in going through all the mags I came across names of racers back then at Glen oaks that I see here,and realized that even if we knew each other or crossed each other's path in the past,It's hard to know who I knew because of not remembering what people looked like a except for the pros which were photographed everywhere.

I only wish there was a way to know so i/we could rekindle old friendships (some of us never new other racers names,unless they were friends outside of slots)

I guess I'll have to create something else that will help,slot car facebook,lol)

The only people I would recognize that I was friends with are some of the pros that became friendly with me and because they were well known,Jim greenaway,Eddie sohl,Rick boltizar,and they were older,the others being children would have changed a lot in looks.

Even when I called Jim green away on the phone his voice was the same as 4 decades ago.

Just wish there was a way to know who I knew in the day and catchup.

I guess slot car times transcend time and our ups and downs in this journey called life.
Bruce Schwartz

#14 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Funny it turned out to be a summary of war and peace,lol
Bruce Schwartz

#15 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

I have tried to figure out how to do a workable land speed record slot car track for a few years.  MY concept would be a banked ring.  The circumference at the slot would be a scale mile with one timing photoeye so that the time between laps would be a flying mile.  1/24 scale mile is 220 feet.  Just need someone to build it, indoors, maybe in a clear tube to calm the winds, or not.  Overgearing might work then.  Direct drive on a 100K rpm motor can develop some speed.........two or three laps to get up to speed at most, and then five or ten laps for consistent count.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#16 Les Boyd

Les Boyd

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

Well for the first thing most modern slot car motors turn from 20,000 to 60,000 RPM and some even higher. If you just turned the tires at that speed there would be no donut remaining, all the rubber would be slung off. And if you turned them even faster by using gears...well you get the picture.

#17 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

I've been told 200,000 to 300,000 rpm for group 7 wing cars 100,000 to 150,000 rpm for vintage pro.guesstimates
Bruce Schwartz

#18 brucefl

brucefl

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Not much slower than my dental drill which does 450,000 rpm.

Hey maybe the future slot car will be an air turbine with a solenoid variable control valve,miniaturized air tank,radio controlled slot cars,ha ha ha,that's funny,now we've just gotta find an extended use tank,and configuration of turbine,etc,etc.
Bruce Schwartz

Electric Dreams Online Shop