• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

This year's D3 Hardbody 4 Hr. Enduro for Porsche 911's (and 934's) at Buena Park Raceway had a very, very close finish with the winning team edging out the second place team by less than a lap with seconds remaining in the race.
Unbelieveable finish after 4 hrs. and 2284 laps by the winning team. The top 4 teams constantly switching leads during the enduro. As usual, this enduro had many teams experience various problems with their cars although motor reliability was not much of an issue. Some tire wear and fixing cars damaged by crashes, riders, etc. affected most teams performance. Congratulations to Hector Gonzalez on winning Concours and his team, New Man Crew who won both the regular and team handicap races. 
All in all, another fun day of hardbody enduro racing at BPR. 

Thanks to Debby and Jim Watterson (and Eddie) for their support of D3 Hardbody Racing at Buena Park Raceway.
Thanks to our race directors, Hector Gonzalez, Keith Tanaka, Mill Conroy, Jim Watterson.
Thanks to Ken Dylke for the pizza during the race.

Here's the photo/race report:Porsche Enduro race report

Another Porsche enduro in November (2nd Chance Porsche Enduro) "may" be held, stay tuned.

The next D3 Hardbody Races at BPR, Sunday, May 21, 2017. Track opens at 10 AM, mixed race at noon, followed by GTP/NASCAR race.[/size]

Some discussion, announcements will be made at the May 21st races, be there to find out the latest news.

Keith :)

Read more: HERE.
  • MSwiss and Samiam like this
Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#2 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,992 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Wow, what a close finish for such a long race.

Awesome cars, Keith.

What kind of width rear track are you able to run?

Is the 911GT2 the widest?

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#3 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

Mike, our Porsche class rules state 3.000" rear tire width, 2.875" front tire width, max. chassis width 2.625". The 934's are the widest allowed in this class, but since the rear wheel wells of these cars are sloped and the body height is relatively low, you can only have a rear width of about 3.00" before the tires rub the body.

This enduro was incredible, especially the last heat with the amazing strong finish by Hector Gonzalez on the red lane to overtake the leading team (GYSOT) going into the final heat. 

Keith

#4 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

My favorite tidbit was seeing at least a couple of the cars having motors mounted BEHIND the rear axle. Can you share some info on those, Keith?

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#5 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

My favorite tidbit was seeing at least a couple of the cars having motors mounted BEHIND the rear axle. Can you share some info on those, Keith?

Eddie

Eddie, I built my first rear motor car (motor behind the rear axle) over a year ago. It's the green Porsche 934 which the BP Racing team drove in the enduro Sunday. I built a new rear motor car for the enduro that Team Rolling Hills drove in the enduro (Silver 911 Turbo). The idea for the rear motor was based on the actual 1/1 Porsche 911 which of course has the motor behind the rear axle. The 911 has probably been one of the longest lasting car designs ever as far as performance sports cars is concerned. It has evolved over the last 5 decades but still remains a rear engine car. I had added weight to the rear of many of my cars a few years ago as I saw a car which Ron Kiyomura built with added weight well behind the rear axle area. This concept works as it adds more weight over the rear tires and improves the traction. I decided to try wider, firmer tires to this concept to see if it would smooth out the traction in the turns. It worked, and I added this rear weight to many of the cars I had built previously and almost all of them improved the traction while providing a smoother grip thru the turns. 

Because of the rear weight concept which seemed to work well, I decided to try building a rear motor slot car and see if it would handle even though I thought it probably would be too tail heavy and not be good for a slot car. I built the car and found out it handled very well even though it was a bit tail heavy. I decided to give the car more rear traction to counter the fish tailing by having wider rear tires than normal (.550" wide vs. .500" Prostock tires). Also, I added some weight to the front of the chassis to help offset the rear weight somewhat. This combo improved the traction of the car and yet was still a lighter weight car than my regular hardbody cars. 

I found out that this car stayed in the slot better than any other hardbody car I have built over the last ten years. It doesn't set the fastest lap times but consistently runs good lap times without deslotting. 

Prior to the enduro, I was testing my newest rear motor car at BPR and Victor Dubrowsky happened to see my car in action. I showed him the rear motor chassis and apparently that was enough for him to build one for himself. Victor built a rear motor car and found out it handled very well. That's the car he drove with Tim Neja in the enduro and nearly won the race (just a lap behind the winning car). 

It will be interesting to see if this rear motor concept also works with a longer wheelbase car as the 911 chassis is 3 3/4" vs. a NASCAR chassis which is 4.5" long.

Keith

Electric Dreams Online Shop