• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Adkins

Steve Adkins

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

The new AWRA Stock Car class will debut at Historic Kingston Speedway in Anderson, Alabama on Saturday, September 2nd. Thunder In Alabama will be run on Labor Day weekend, the before NASCAR's Bojangle's Southern 500. This will be the first race for the AWRA Stock Cars. These cars are narrower that the Legends and Sportsman cars, carry a smaller motor, an interior, and are closer to scale than most of the other AWRA classes. Here is an example of an AWRA Stock Car, minus the interior. 

17903803_10207027784171663_2505373754874

1oqh2s.jpg

#2 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

Request a catalog of these and other AWRA bodies from Cavemanbodeez@gmail.com

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#3 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Historic Kingston Speedway in Anderson Alabama hosted the third annual Strombecker Supermodified World Championship this past weekend racers from 4 states attended the event. — with Peter ShreevesStarr Lindsey MoodyDanny Leibecki and Fred StillwellTop eight from this weekends racing at Historic Kingston Speedway. L to R Adam Leibecki, Pete Shreeves, Mary Walton, Will, Katie Loron Danny and Fred. Supermodified class Loron first Fred 2nd Will 3rd.AWRA Womp Stock Car class. Loron 1st Fred 2nd Will 3rd.

Loron Lindsey’s Race Report:

Winners from this weekend’s racing:

- Strombecker Supermodified class: Loron 1st, Fred 2nd and Will 3rd.

- AWRA Stock car class: Loron 1st Danny 2nd and Adam 3rd. This was Danny and Adam and Wills first time at Historic Kingston Speedway.

Thank you Rachel for taking pictures for the race, Starr for the good lunch and Mary for her Banana bread and cookies. Thank you all for coming!  

Attached Files

Pete Shreeves

#4 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

I had a blast at HKS! The Historic Kingston Speedway hosted their Labor Day Extravaganza for Womp NASCARs and Strombecker Supermodifieds on Saturday, September 2nd 2017. Eight racers participated at the speedway surrounded by the beautiful weather and idyllic country atmosphere.

We arrived at 1:00 and met Adam and Danny who are neighbors from the town of Anderson. They are planning to build their own wood and metal tape raceway to support another racing venue nearby. This will be a significant development in a small town where the HKS is one of the 3 “Things to do” in Anderson on the internet! 

I brought some of my show cars (converted models) and we all had a little pre-race fun slinging the cars around the speedway. Fred Stillwell, who is visiting over the weekend from Marietta Georgia, raced along with us while serving as race organizer and lap counter operator for the day. Other guests and family members arrived including  Danny and Adam from Anderson, Rachel Lindsey, Katie Lindsey (and her boyfriend Will). Starr (last name unknown) and Sereta Lindsey (Loron’s wife) watched the race with great interest. Several of the family dogs were in attendance including “Rose”, a Chihuahua Mix, who we recognize as Loron’s former photo avatar on his Messenger texts.

With eight competitors and four lanes the races were easily coordinated into two sets of heat rotations for both the NASCAR Womp and Strombecker Supermodified contests.

Between races we adjourned to the picnic area where we enjoyed delicious Labor Day eatin’ including Hot Dogs, pot luck dishes and refreshments. We were entertained by one of Loron’s goats who jumped the fence to join us and rather politely helped himself to whatever he could reach on the table. He managed to eat some napkins and a chunk of the plastic tablecloth! 

We had a great time and are lookig forward to the next race at HKS

Footnote: The AWRA calls out three motors as being legal for their cars. (JK Hawk Mini brute HMB, H&R Jack Rabbit HRMJ1 and Kelly Bullet KE532) Since none of these sub-scale motors are unfamiliar to me I just picked whatever was first available at an on-line dealer. I'me here to tell you the H&R "Jack Rabbit" ain't worth "JACK"! It was so slow I literally just held the trigger down for the entire race! Why they sell such a slug I don't know. I don't see any good reason for AWRA to insist on sub scale motors to begin with when there are companies selling 16D size motors and you can even get a Parma 16D in a WOMP if you buy one new. 

Pete Shreeves

#5 Steve Adkins

Steve Adkins

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

I had a blast at HKS! The Historic Kingston Speedway hosted their Labor Day Extravaganza for Womp NASCARs and Strombecker Supermodifieds on Saturday, September 2nd 2017. Eight racers participated at the speedway surrounded by the beautiful weather and idyllic country atmosphere.

We arrived at 1:00 and met Adam and Danny who are neighbors from the town of Anderson. They are planning to build their own wood and metal tape raceway to support another racing venue nearby. This will be a significant development in a small town where the HKS is one of the 3 “Things to do” in Anderson on the internet! 

I brought some of my show cars (converted models) and we all had a little pre-race fun slinging the cars around the speedway. Fred Stillwell, who is visiting over the weekend from Marietta Georgia, raced along with us while serving as race organizer and lap counter operator for the day. Other guests and family members arrived including  Danny and Adam from Anderson, Rachel Lindsey, Katie Lindsey (and her boyfriend Will). Starr (last name unknown) and Sereta Lindsey (Loron’s wife) watched the race with great interest. Several of the family dogs were in attendance including “Rose”, a Chihuahua Mix, who we recognize as Loron’s former photo avatar on his Messenger texts.

With eight competitors and four lanes the races were easily coordinated into two sets of heat rotations for both the NASCAR Womp and Strombecker Supermodified contests.

Between races we adjourned to the picnic area where we enjoyed delicious Labor Day eatin’ including Hot Dogs, pot luck dishes and refreshments. We were entertained by one of Loron’s goats who jumped the fence to join us and rather politely helped himself to whatever he could reach on the table. He managed to eat some napkins and a chunk of the plastic tablecloth! 

We had a great time and are lookig forward to the next race at HKS

Footnote: The AWRA calls out three motors as being legal for their cars. (JK Hawk Mini brute HMB, H&R Jack Rabbit HRMJ1 and Kelly Bullet KE532) Since none of these sub-scale motors are unfamiliar to me I just picked whatever was first available at an on-line dealer. I'me here to tell you the H&R "Jack Rabbit" ain't worth "JACK"! It was so slow I literally just held the trigger down for the entire race! Why they sell such a slug I don't know. I don't see any good reason for AWRA to insist on sub scale motors to begin with when there are companies selling 16D size motors and you can even get a Parma 16D in a WOMP if you buy one new. 

I would like to address your concerns about the legal motors in AWRA competition, and the H&R Jackrabbit in particular.

The motors for AWRA competition were chosen after careful consideration. They all have a purpose, but not all are the best choice for every class on every track.

On short tracks, which are where the Legends and Stock car classes were designed to compete, a Mini Brute or Kelly Bullet excel. The Jackrabbit may on the surface may seem to be a real dog, but there is a reason for its inclusion on the motor list. In AWRA events, often young racers compete side by side with older, more experienced racers. The Jackrabbit allows the young racers to participate without causing a lot of ontrack carnage. That doesn't mean that the motor can't be competitive otherwise. On a track like Kingston Speedway, the Jackrabbit should be a factor if you find the optimum gearing. Perhaps a 29 tooth pinion or a 28 crown, or a 10 tooth pinion would improve the performance of the car on that track. 

The 16D motors are legal in the Sportsman and GT-1 classes, but the dominant motor there is the JK Hawk 7. The 16D motors are somewhat competitive, but they are seldom seen on the podium. The problem with the 16D motors is that the performance to weight ratio vs. the small can motors.  The Parma 16D is legal because there are tons of them out there, but they have not been in production for years. There is no available Parma or Champion RTR car available with a 16D motor at this time. 

One note on the JK Mini Brute. The Legends ran recently on the 195' track at Ho b Max in Durham, NC, and the winning lap total was only 3 1/2 laps less than the winning Sportsman tally. The Mini brute is a 40000 RPM motor vs. the Hawk 7's 48000. gearing is the key here. 

If you will, try a taller gear and please post the results. I think it will help a lot.

Steve

AWRA

Electric Dreams Online Shop