5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Well, when I logged in tonight I checked to see the last time I was on Slotblog.  It was November 27, almost 5 and a half months ago.

Sorry I have been so uncommunicative during that time.  We took a major trip in September, as the season was ending, and again in March, when planning for the new season would normally start.  Since March we have done some major home repainting and reorganizing, and my house is a disaster area right now on both floors.  I am weeks away from being ready to host a race.  And I have a couple more trips scheduled for June and August/September.

Basically, I don't have the energy right now to put together a points series.  I am still willing to host a couple of races and go to others.  Here is what I know:

• We ended last year with 2 tracks.  Now we have 4, counting the new one in Palouse and one at Bob's shop in Montana.
  • Randy will not plan to travel regularly to Spokane to race this year.  Bob is willing to come and willing to host races there.
  • Dave Cuellar and company are ready to race and to host races.
  • Tom Brown and presumably Mike Nelson are ready to race.

My thought was to have a racing series, but not a points series this year.  Each of the track owners could pick 1-2 times they would like to host a race, and we would announce ahead of time what they would be.  Part of the reason I want to do this is because I want one of my races to be a team enduro using cars painted like real Can-Am cars from 1967 -- a 50-year revival race, perhaps focusing on cars in a single race, like Daytona.

I am thinking most of the other races would be 3-4 classes each, either the regular retro classes or throw in one class of the track owners' choice:  IROC, flexi, maybe even a 1:32 class for a day.

Bob, Mike, and Dave (representing Palouse), what do you guys think of this idea?  Do you have ideas for when you would like to host a race?

Any others out there ready to race again?

Ken

#2 Dave Cuellar

Dave Cuellar

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

Talked with Leroy from the Palouse tracks and we are defiantly up for a couple of races here. Also I would like to do a race at my house 1/32 on my track . It is a scalextric track most cars work, if there are any questions let me know. You guys have seen most of my stuff so that should help. Please let me know if there is any interest to do 1/32 at my house We race on a regular basis here and would like you guys to join us once in a while :D

#3 compman25

compman25

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

The way last year went with the crazy schedule, and the fact only 1 person has asked me about us racing this year since last Nov I'd like to run just flexi's on my track this year. It's gotten way too expensive trying to have the latest and greatest chassis designs (I'll admit it is mostly my fault for this). I just want to keep it cheap and simple and run flexi's as they come out of the box with minimal changes allowed. Last year I tried to start this with trying to hold a race during the week, but that was hard for most people to make it even though there was interest in it. Tom and I have been playing with the flexi's the last couple months and have a general idea of what classes we'd like to race. Right now we are thinking of a class with retro stock car bodies and trans am bodies (4" trans am and 4.5" stock car chassis's), flexi F1 and Indy cars, flexi LMP GTP type cars (not the aero wing car or eurosprort bodies). That would be 3 classes with a possibility of 4 if the stock cars and trans am's are not equally competitive with each other on my track. Thinking about having a meeting on Tues May 23rd around 6pm-7pm to discuss rules and set a schedule of Sat races. If you're interested let me know so we can keep having fun racing.

Mike 

Mike Nelson

#4 Tom Brown

Tom Brown

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

See you Tuesday May 23rd 6:30pm.

Tom Brown

#5 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

I think I can come on Tuesday the 23rd.

Other comments:

• We have 5 places to race:  Mike, Ken, Dave (1:32), Leroy, Bob.  All 5 have offered to do races
  • I agree with flexis being cheaper, but also know everyone has retro and everyone doesn't have all forms of flexi and not all 1:32
  • I have a schedule from Bob as to when he is willing to host
  • I personally am only going to race a half dozen times this year, and would like to do all tracks

I propose:

• We make a master schedule of weeks available (I have started, using my available dates and Bob's)
  • Let's create a limited number of classes.  If I want to race on all tracks, I don't want to maintain 10 classes (4 retro, 4 flexi, 2 1:32).  Pick 5-6.
  • Let's do this like an NFL draft:  let Bob pick date(s) he wants to host, then Dave and Leroy, then Mike, then me.

What do you all think?

Ken

#6 Dave Cuellar

Dave Cuellar

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I  can do 2 or 3 classes if everybody likes that . We could probably provide a class for someone if needed mainly gt and lmp . Also what dates can we have? the sooner the better so everyone can be ready . Leroy was thinking two or three retro and a flexie. Maybe even a 1/32 flexie on the figure 8 track if you like sub 2 second laps. If needed Leroy has plenty of rental cars we can use if needed. Our flexies are jk 1/32 and 1/24. Please let me know what you think.  BTW my track is 66 feet .about 5 second laps Dave

Electric Dreams Online Shop