Photo

Lee Gilbert chassis on eBay - is it real?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

I bid and lost, it went for $338. It says it has Bill Steube motor, but the chassis looks way too sloppy for Gilbert. What do you think?

So tell the truth, which one of you guys beat me out in the auction?

lg1.jpg

lg2.jpg

lg3.jpg

lg4.jpg

Bruce Schwartz

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

I looked at this chassis several days ago when it was at less than $30. The signature engraved on the droparm looked to be a genuine Lee Gilbert autograph. I saw a few rough solder joints on this chassis too, but figured they had been touched up by someone else.

In addition to built chassis, Lee also sold pre-bent and cut kits through West Seattle Speedway & Hobby that you only needed to solder the parts together. These kits didn't carry Lee's signature. I had one of these Gilbert kits in the early '70s.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#3 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,147 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

Motor may have a Checkpoint armature but it's not a Steube-built motor. Chassis looks like lots of repairs by owner.

• S.O. Watt and Jesse Gonzales like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#4 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I studied it when it popped up last week. I think it's genuine and I followed it till it went over $200. Never bid because I think that's all it's worth.

But like others have said, it's the real deal... but been altered a time or two. The motor probably has a replacement arm in it by now and those front wheels? Blah...

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#5 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

Come on look at the way those bat pans are cut that's a rank amateur (and certainly not from a previous cut kit which I'm sure would be perfect).
So unless someone wants to tell me Lee was sloppy in cutting or some in solder joint,that can't be an authentic Lee Gilbert chassis (maybe it was a relatively good amateur chassis,signed and peddled as authentic years ago and the gentleman who sold it couldn't document).
Bruce Schwartz

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,635 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

That's still a genuine Gilbert chassis. But one that has been resoldered & modified in places by someone with less talent than Lee. The pans & drop arm on this chassis are Parma items, not something cut out by Lee or anyone else.  The rough cuts you're seeing at the pan's fronts are someones feeble attempt to fit those cone-shaped front wheels. At the price you quoted in post #1, somebody overpaid  for a signed chassis that has not been assembled into a first class car, nor does it have any documentation.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#7 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

Comparing my Lee Gilbert chassis that was in a Dave Howard RTR auctioned off at Speed & Sport to this one also make me say that Lee or his sidekick Larry Halter built it. The engraving is identical. No way is that a "Bill Steube Sr." motor. I bid up to $125 for the Billy Steube RTR but Mr. Stephan being a banker won the bid for his son John. I did get a pretty good deal on the Howard car, never raced it but used as a looker car.

Jesse Gonzales

#8 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:27 PM

Why don't the retro guys design follow this direction of development?  What changed?  Tires & glue?

#9 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:55 AM

Looks like a Lee chassis to me.

Yes, it has some wear and tear with some not quite prime time repairs/mods.

Lee didn’t build 100% of his chassis. Lee approached me to build his production cars back in 1970. I declined, as I was working on winning the LA Car Model Cup with my stuff. Still felt honored he felt my work was good enough to put his name on.
  • Howie Ursaner and Jesse Gonzales like this

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#10 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:30 AM

Tom is/was a first rate chassis builder back in the day plus one heck of a nice guy. That being said not enough people recognize Tom as a top tier builder.

Jesse Gonzales

#11 brucefl

brucefl

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:04 AM

Tom:

Can you post photos of some of your chassis?  The Tom Hansen legend goes deep, but like myself if you've been deprived of experiencing your artistry there's a void.  I may have seen one in the racing news back in the day, and what i remember was sweet, so please honor us with some of your works.

Thanks for posting here, and maybe you are the guy who can figure out and build for me the Roy Wong idler gear car. Specifically the one with the 1 inch wide drop arm (along the lines of the Lewis sidewinder) with a champion can, 24 single arm, and Faas gear.  Regardless, thanks and looking forward to seeing your works.

Looks like a Lee chassis to me.

Yes, it has some wear and tear with some not quite prime time repairs/mods.

Lee didn’t build 100% of his chassis. Lee approached me to build his production cars back in 1970. I declined, as I was working on winning the LA Car Model Cup with my stuff. Still felt honored he felt my work was good enough to put his name on.

Bruce Schwartz

#12 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Jesse and Bruce for the kudos.

I won't be the one to create a copy of someone else's chassis as I'm not too much into recreating the past, let alone someone else's.

• tonyp, miko and Jesse Gonzales like this

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

#13 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Tom is/was a first rate chassis builder back in the day plus one heck of a nice guy. That being said not enough people recognize Tom as a top tier builder.

Jesse Gonzales

Tom is a first rate chassis builder TODAY and is one of the true nice guys in racing today. Tom's results are a testimony to his ability to build winning cars in any class.

• S.O. Watt and Jesse Gonzales like this

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#14 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

I agree with you Mike, that's why I said "is/was" in my praise for his work. I bought some of his stuff when he was on his way home from the Hemisfair race as his VW was acting up and he needed to get back to LA. He first visited family in Springerville AZ, small world my family has roots there too. Been friends ever since.

Gee Tom still drives VeeDubs.

Jesse

• S.O. Watt likes this

#15 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Jesse, That trip to Sullivan's for the 4th of July race was my 1st adventure traveling after getting out of a boarding high school. I now could race (and build) more than once a month or so. I actually saw family in Ok, NM, Texas and AZ. Plus I have a bunch of really funny memories from the Dallas race (I did make the main in SemiPro). I also stopped off in Phoenix the following year returning from the Cleveland NCC race, which that trip will have a highlight or two in PDL's new upcoming book. ;)

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

Electric Dreams Online Shop