• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Okay - I'll try to get this all up today - here's part one...

I thought I would post and share the progression of this mag-frame 1/24 Cox Chaparral 2E that I'm currently working on. I made some modifications in order for it to look like one of the Chaparral 2Es that Jim Hall had driven in the '60s.

By looking at the photos you can see that I have added front spoilers, side pods, and side spoilers for the wing in order for it to look reasonably close to the original car. I used Cox Chaparral 2C side pods and cut them down a little and I believe they look pretty close. I added the front spoiler by using thick styrene and simply cutting the shape I wanted and then slowly sanding and shaping the spoiler until it looked right to the eye. I used regular cheap super glue as a filler for any little gaps and sanded til smooth.

The Cox Chaparral 2E plastic body is very lightweight and really easy to work with so it was real easy to take out mold lines and correct any imperfections. The body was painted with Tamiya grey primer so I could spot any problems with the body because grey primer shows imperfections real well.

Posted Image

After one last coat of Tamiya grey primer to check the body, I sand the 2E and get it ready for the white primer. Once ready, I primer the car white because I'll be using a white gloss from Tamiya (T-7). Below are photos of the finished white primer body. I made some more modifications to the side pods which work and look better. After that I primer again and get ready for painting.

Posted Image

Painting the body. I'll spray two thin mist coats from a can of Tamiya TS-7 Racing white. TS-7 is a great white to use here because it gives you a creamier white and that vintage look. After leaving it for an hour I'll go ahead and spray a nice liberal coat and leave it overnight. The next day I hit with one more good liberal coat and that's it. Done.

The pictures below show the car painted and the decals have been placed. You can also see a hand blower that photographers use to blow dust off a lens or small products. This blower is great for blowing water off the body after it's been washed. After decals are placed and dried overnight then it's time for me to clean the car real well. I clean all glue from the decals and I'm real careful here not tear or scratch the decals. I keep cleaning until the body is spotless. I use the hand blower and being very careful not to blow off the decals. I also add any details to the body - i.e. the black around the cockpit and fenders (see pics below this set of photos), once this is done I'll get the body ready for clear coat.

Posted Image

Pictures below - Clear-coating a body with decals on it... In order for me not to shrink the decals when clear coating, I have to spray thin coats of clear every hour or so for about a day, (about ten thin coats) then I'll leave it overnight and spray heavier coats until I'm satisfied. I can use up to one to two cans of Tamiya Clear coat TS-13 on a body. Once the body is clear-coated and dried for three days, it's time to polish the body with Tamiya compounds. I use coarse, fine, and finish. I use a Microbrush and cotton Swisspers to polish the car. I'll polish the body until it's smooth. I'll use the Microbrush to get into small areas and hard to reach areas. I'm prepared to spend a lot of time in this area because the results are very rewarding. Once I'm satisfied with the body I'll go ahead and paint the inside of the body with matte black. This just gives it a nice clean look and gets rid of any overspray.

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#2 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

Below is a set of photos showing how I detailed the driver. I used filler to make the scarf over his face and shaped and sanded until satisfied. I filled in any gaps in the driver and then primed. I painted the drivers suit in off-whites with some shading. I carved out the area where the clear parts of the goggles are and then painted in the eyes and finished off by filling the goggle area with a build-up of clear coat which gave a real cool look. I then finished off any details.

Posted Image

Below are photos of the cockpit with the driver set in with detailed seat belts. I painted the seats blue and then I used matte black for the surrounding area.

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#3 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

The 2E screen, part one.

The screen needed to be cleaned-up because of the amount of scratches it had. I started to clean up the screen with Detail Master cloth sandpaper using all the grit sizes. The photos below show the screen completely sanded with the heaviest grit (3200).

Posted Image

The 2E screen, part two.

Once the screen was sanded, I polished the screen with NOVUS scratch remover 1 to 3. I may have spent a hour or two on the glass polishing. I then started to detail the screen. I masked off the screen and painted a matte black border line and then detailed it with photo-etched bolt clips. I painted in the door line.

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#4 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

WOW! :dance4:

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#5 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Making the vents.

I used masking tape to make a stencil of the back vents. I then put the tape on some plastic styrene and cut the shape out. I had some etched parts from a Fisher Chaparral 2E and cut them to size. Once I was happy with the fit (this took a little time to get the piece to fit right). I also had to take into consideration of the thickness of the paint for the fit. I then painted and detailed vents with etched bolts.

Posted Image

Rear adjustable spoiler

All I did here is cut some thick plastic styrene and measured and cut the holes and painted and clear-coated. I polished with compound until smooth and then detail the spoiler with etched bolts.

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#6 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

Back vents

Once again I used masking tape to make a stencil of the back vents. I then put the tape on some plastic styrene and cut the shape out. I had some etched parts from a Fisher Chaparral 2E and cut them to size. I painted them silver.

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#7 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

Here's the car in all it's glory:

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#8 The Possum King

The Possum King

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

That is some awesome work, Chris!!

By now I would have smashed the damn thing in a fit of rage and thrown it all away, due to my lack of patience and talent.

Then I would go watch TV.
Mike Balash
Tattooed slotfreak

It's better to be at the Devil's right hand than in his path

#9 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Holy COW!

I'm speechless!

Absolutely amazing, Chris!

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#10 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

It looks great, I love it.

Where did you get a Cox Chaparral 2E?
Nick Cerulli

#11 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:28 AM

Chris, in a word, PERFECTION. After having just been to the Chaparral Museum in Midland, what a job you have done.

Now that is a slot car. :D :D :D If you had another seven like that on the track, who cares what the voltage is.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#12 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:22 AM

Flat-out GORGEOUS!

As I said in a reply to a different thread, I could see paying $16,000 for something like this, rather than an unassembled original Cox 2E kit. Wonderful detailing.
Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#13 KF4OZJ

KF4OZJ

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:34 AM

AWESOME!!!... Great Work!!!... :wub:
James Buckner

#14 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,809 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

Amazing. Jim Hall would be proud.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#15 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

Chris, between you and Rick Thigpen, you guys keep raising the bar on me! ;)

Fantastic build and a sure Concours winner!!

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#16 Kyle Stokes

Kyle Stokes

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

Wow, stunningly beautiful, just like the real one.

My all-time favorite race car.

#17 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Chris, I only have one word for your project :)

WOW!

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#18 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,629 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

Each part by itself is nice but putting it all together created a really stunning car! Jairus is right but ignores the fact that he too keeps raising the bar. Hat's off to all of the guys that keep these cars just getting better. :clapping: :good:
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#19 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

I appreciate all positive comments above and I'll share more of my projects in the very near future. No worries. :)
Chris Clark

#20 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

NOW I know why your paint always looks wet! This explains a lot of things, like why your cars always look like the real thing instead of just a well-detailed model... :shok: :wub: :D :D
Gary Stelter

#21 bres3000

bres3000

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Chris,

Your car is...

FANTASTIC!
I've saved you the trouble, Nappy.
(enjoy the next eight years)

#22 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:58 AM

Not too bad... :P

Chris, once I get a 2E, I will now have a usefull DIY guide to refer to. Thanks for this ! This is a really splendid car. :clapping:

Now, between you and me : are you sure the interior was black (with blue seats) ? I thought the whole was dark blue ?

Moreover, wasn't the screen riveted rather than screwed ?

I do not ask for my future 2E (with some chance I may get one someday) it's because I'm jealous...

And just for the fun... why didn't you made hundreds of holes in the front wings ? :tease:

Best regards.
(Bud)light is right!

#23 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

Thanks, J-M. I'm glad you liked the car.

Best,
Chris Clark

#24 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

I'm glad you liked the car.

No, Chris, you didn't fully understand me (maybe because of my poor English).

I do not like it, I adoooooooore it! I want to have my cars look the same... :wub:

Cheers!
(Bud)light is right!

#25 mcseitz

mcseitz

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

It's not just the car I like, which is an understatement.

But the fact that you would take the time to share your finishing secrets is extremely generous to say the least.

Thank you!
Marcus Seitz

Electric Dreams Online Shop