#1 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Dear racers and raceway owners,

JK Products® (JK) would like to thank the many racers and raceway owners who have supported our involvement in USRA racing in the past. Unfortunately, JK believes that the USRA is now so corrupt that we can no longer support the organization.

As of today, we are renouncing the company’s membership In USRA and withdrawing all its products and support. It is acknowledged that this is a very serious action and we hope racers will understand this action is not being taken lightly.

The final straw was the national director’s refusal to allow approval of the C43 Aeolos chassis despite the unanimous approval of the scale division director, the scale technical director, the assistant scale technical director, and the majority vote of the product approval committee; the national director remains the only one opposed. We believe his highly selective interpretation of USRA rules is often incorrect and unfairly biased against JK.

This action is not taken solely due to the national director’s veto of the C43. JK has worked to try to remedy the situation within the USRA but it quickly became clear that USRA is not being run for the benefit of the racers. Sincere apologies to all racers inconvenienced by what JK views as a necessary action, and for the long term good of the industry.

JK Products® remains firmly dedicated to supporting the raceway owners, racers, and the slot car industry, as you will see in the coming weeks, months, and years.  

Attached File  USRA Final.pdf   802.64KB   316 downloads

• Cheater, MSwiss, Noose and 17 others like this
Tim Homola
JK Products

#2 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:57 AM

Here in NH, I am Chairman of the House Transportation Committee. Reading the .pdf you posted was fascinating. Those rules are a total mess and impossible to work within. They simply don't work, and worse, contain so many conflicts that you can support almost any position by cherry picking sections. I don't see how the USRA can function until they have someone rewrite them correctly. The committees also have to be restructured. 

• Cheater, MSwiss, tonyp and 7 others like this

#3 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

@smithspeedway. The rules were written, proposed, and approved by the racers.

Now on to Mr. JK Products. I want to personally thank you for making my entire flexi fleet obsolete for USRA competition, the 10 plus built chassis and the five still hanging in bags to be built are now useless, but you got my $25+ a chassis so I guess the money grab was worth it, thanks for your support of this dying hobby.

Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

Some day this will be fun again. Right???

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hi Dan,

Where do you currently, or plan to, race under USRA rules?

• Samiam and Kevin Donovan like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#5 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

Was planning on attending the 2018 Nats. Emphasis on was.
Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

So you didn't attend the 2017 Nats, that was six hours away, but you planned to attend the 2018 Nats, on the other side of the country?

• Bernie, gotboostedvr6 and Kevin Donovan like this

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#7 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

The fact is that not all the racers in USRA members can vote on the rules that would directly affect them; only racers/members who attend the Nationals at the time get to vote. 

If you propose a rule change and don't attend the Nationals it will not be brought up for a vote. I believe this is the current policy and has been for years.  It's my main reason for leaving the USRA after being a member, off and on, since '87.

I believe all racers should have a vote on rules that would directly impact their racing, not only the admin side but the tech side as well. I also do not believe in the "commercial availability" aspect of obsoleting whole programs; that should happen by attrition and technical innovation. Like what happened to several chassis and bodies. 

This current situation could bring about the demise of the USRA unless common sense prevails.  

Fred Younkin

#8 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Without innovation we would all be stuck with Champion Turbo-Flex for life. We still have a monthly Turbo-Flex race, largely to remember how much better chassis are now.

I've got a box of Hawk motors I'm playing with now where a year ago I had none. Equipment evolves, like controllers and guides. That is and has always been a part of the game.

Retro racing has successfully turned back the clock. Yet the designs, even there, are not static.

• team burrito and Samiam like this
Mark Bauer

#9 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

So you didn't attend the 2017 Nats, that was 6 hours away, but you planned to attend the 2018 Nats, on the other side of the country?

Second house is in escrow now, that is why I wasn't able to attend the Nats in Chicago, but my personal finances are none of your business.  

My wife told me to go anyway but I chose not to rack up the credit cards, since I have a graduation party to pay for in two weeks also, again none of your business.   

Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Dan,

How would you remedy the situation the ND invoked?

"May change stock bite bar diameter supplied by the mfg to a bar with a diameter to .062" maximum to .039" minimum diameter. The bar must be steel, straight, round, no bends, no flats and does not deviate from stock."

... To declare the C43 does not comply with the rules, and cannot be approved, despite the assurance that the intent of the rule was not written to apply to the stock production item, by the author of the rule, a long-standing USRA official?

But yet that bite bar rule was ignored when the Mossetti chassis was approved the year before?

The bite bar on the Mossetti is not a bar, but a tube, and one made from brass was originally, and still is approved.

What would you do, if you were Tim, if the rule was enforced against you, but not your competition?

Tube vs Bar - What's the difference?
  • Les Boyd, Bernie and JK Products like this

Mike Swiss

#11 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

".... Where do you currently, or plan to, race under USRA rules?"

Great general question!  

My perception of the USRA rules is that they really only pertain to the Nats as very few state or regional series follow them to the letter. Still... you'd like to think that all of the manufacturers in this hobby could work together under the USRA umbrella.

Let me quickly add that I have never raced at a USRA Nats event so perhaps I should have no voice in this conversation. I'm fully aware of my limitations as a slot car racer. I don't need to travel cross-country to be reminded of them. That happens almost every time I race. :D  

As an outsider looking in, one gets the feeling that there's a personal story here that perhaps is better left unsaid.

But it certainly seems odd to me that the Mossetti former tubing bite bar/retainer and current multi-bend bite bar/retainer would be legal and the JK bite bar/retainer isn't.  

Is it really as simple as one sent a chassis to the National Director and the other sent a chassis to the Tech Directors? If that's the case, then everyone needs to set their ego aside and start over.

• Samiam and JK Products like this

Rollin Isbell

#12 Markomatic

Markomatic

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Having raced USRA years ago and recently coming back into the hobby I am sad to see how the USRA has devolved into the state that it is in.

• JK Products likes this
Mark Miller

#13 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

This is a sad day for the USRA. I think Roger needs to go. First, delisting Cahzoa, because he's not getting his cut and now this comes on, so he is the overseer not the warlord.

Or was this his plan from the start to disband the USRA and ISRA be the only game in town??

jason

• team burrito, JerseyJohn, Rob Voska and 2 others like this

#14 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

It's always about the money. Follow it!!

• Cheater, Dave Reed, Rob Voska and 2 others like this
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#15 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like much ado over nothing. The new JK and Mosseetti are both excellent.

Keep the rules simple and the cars fast.

• Mad Mexican likes this

#16 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Dan,

How would you remedy the situation where the ND invoked?

"May change stock bite bar diameter supplied by the mfg to a bar with a diameter to .062" maximum to .039" minimum diameter. The bar must be steel, straight, round, no bends, no flats and does not deviate from stock."

... To declare the C43 does not comply with the rules, and cannot be approved, despite the assurance that the intent of the rule was not written to apply to the stock production item, by the author of the rule, a long-standing USRA official?

But yet that bite bar rule was ignored when the Mossetti chassis was approved the year before?

The bite bar on the Mossetti is not a bar, but a tube, and one made from brass was originally, and still is approved.

What would you do, if you were Tim, if the rule was enforced against you, but not your competition?

I can't speak for why the Mosetti was approved or why the brass bar was permitted. But I could make the JK legal in less than five minuets with very little changes to the tooling, and probably no change in the cost to Tim.

Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#17 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

"Keep the rules simple and the cars fast." - amen.

@Dan Meyers - "The rules were written, proposed, and approved by the racers." Yes, and that's a significant problem. I'm not quarreling with the implemented policy, or sticking up for JK. People obviously take this process very seriously. In light of that, the policies should be decided by whomever appropriate (racers or whomever the organization desires), but the actual structure and language of the rules should be written by someone who understands their impact. Having rules written by a solid parliamentarian would eliminate a lot of the conflicts I read about. Bottom line - If you can have a discussion about what a rule actually means, the rule is written wrong. There are procedural conflicts throughout.

Examples:

"The National Director and/or the Rules Committee will clarify any rule that is in question or is being interpreted improperly." - What happens if they disagree?

"The Board of Directors may create certain committees by appointment that will have specific prescribed authority in the management of the Association." - Do the racers want the committee to exist or not? There should be standing committees. Provisional committees for outside the box issues can be provided for.

There are also provisions where the National Director has final say over technical decisions that were not voted on, but the Tech Director also has final say. These two provisions can not coexist. If there is a conflict, what is the resolution process?

My point is that the convoluted structure of the rules invites conflict where none is necessary. The language makes it possible for there to be good faith disagreements as to the intent of the rules.

Steve

• Samiam likes this

#18 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

Dan,

I think you meant brass tube.

Regardless, why should Tim spend more money to make a chassis legal for one race a year, when the competition's product clearly does not comply?

• Frankie Schaffier and JK Products like this

Mike Swiss

#19 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

It's always about the money. Follow it!!

Gotta be them pesky Russians.  :laugh2:

• JerseyJohn likes this

#20 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

Here's my opinion.

The racers should not run the asylum. 

Why?

Racers invariably vote to promote their personal agendas, i.e to benefit themselves and their racing activities. They don't, as a rule, vote to benefit the overall hobby/activity itself.

This is the 'fatal flaw' in the USRA structure.

As the USRA is currently constituted, i.e. 'mob rule,' there is zero focus and direction. Nor can there be in the current environment.

Of all the hobbies I've examined (and it is many, many hobbies, some involving competition and some not,) model car racing is clearly the least altruistic, in terms of having some percentage of the participants who wish to see it prosper and survive over time.

• Ramcatlarry, smokie, Wizard Of Iz and 10 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#21 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Or was this his plan from the start to disband the USRA and ISRA and be the only game in town??

If so then he is doing a heck of a job! :dash2:

Cheers,

• Cheater, Rob Voska and garyvmachines like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#22 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

:laugh2:

So, where are the pieces of a chassis defined? (A bite bar, for instance).

And just what does a "bite bar" have to do with something whose function is to hold the pieces of the chassis together?

And, for that matter, just where is the method of connecting the pieces of a chassis together defined?

• Cheater, MSwiss, smokie and 4 others like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#23 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Good post, Jim.

It was brought up by myself, and others, how is the cotter pin still legal on a Champion Turbo-Flex? It's certainly not straight to begin with, and when bent more, it keeps the chassis together, just like the curved/bent section of the JK bar.

And Steve Smith's posts are terrific.

What is the point of the technical directors making rulings if the ND can overrule them?

"You can make a ruling, as long as I agree with it." LOL.

• Cheater, smokie, Phil Hackett and 3 others like this

Mike Swiss

#24 Mic B

Mic B

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

Dan,

Sorry to hear you invested so in X25s. The Mosetti and the cC3 are and will obsolete the X25 and that is the natural procession of this hobby and always has been.

Side note the C43 is a tick faster.

Mic Byrd
Euro Motors and Designs By Lou Pirro
Power Plants By Mic B
Support N.E. ISRA & Garden State ISRA

Bowskateer Founding Member #002

#25 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Actually the functional part of the C43 bar is a straight length of steel wire (just like the rules call for).

The bends on the end serves no function other than keeping the bar part in place.

Just figured I would state the obvious.

• MSwiss, Wizard Of Iz, Half Fast and 5 others like this
Eddie Fleming

#26 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell”  – Carl Sandburg.

• Tom Thumb Hobbies, Rob Voska, Racer36 and 2 others like this
Bob Schlain

#27 Markomatic

Markomatic

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

If the wire were to be straight wouldn't it not just fall out without some sort of retention system as is on the "rejected" part?

Mark Miller

#28 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Here's my opinion.

The racers should not run the asylum. 

Why?

Racers invariably vote to promote their personal agendas, i.e to benefit themselves and their racing activities. They don't, as a rule, vote to benefit the overall hobby/activity itself.

This is the 'fatal flaw' in the USRA structure.

As the USRA is currently constituted, i.e. 'mob rule,' there is zero focus and direction. Nor can there be in the current environment.

Of all the hobbies I've examined (and it is many, many hobbies, some involving competition and some not,) model car racing is clearly the least altruistic, in terms of having some percentage of the participants who wish to see it prosper and survive over time.

Greg is correct here. Racers are their own worst enemy when it comes to making rules pertaining to what they race. I have personally witnessed it destroy not only slot cars, but go karts as well.

Dan,

Sorry to hear you invested so in X25s. The Mosetti and the cC3 are and will obsolete the X25 and that is the natural procession of this hobby and always has been.

Side note the C43 is a tick faster.

Mic, I started in 1/24 racing about a decade ago at Bristolville in Ohio for the first 18 months. I never knew of anything other than flat track racing and the Flexi 5 couldn't hold a candle to the JK chassis so my investment in chassis is over time, but when you step away from the $14 motor horsepower war that everyone wants to have and you put cars on a technical track and not a punch bowl you don't have these issues.  

As for Mr. Swiss' last question, Tim can do whatever he chooses. Just know that if this is the course he chooses to travel down, he has lost me and my family as customers. My family and I will not participate using any of his products in any manner, in any series. All he simply had to do to make this chassis legal to the rules was bend stops in the pans for the back wire like the X25 and simply remove the hole from the second front posts making it a stop as well. Then he has straight bars without bends.

Also I know guys who have used tubing instead of solid wire in the X25 and other JK chassis for years.

Now if you don't mind I have a job to go do as I am not afforded the ability to sit and keyboard all day, someone has to keep the SS bucket filling.

As for all the questions about the cotter pins for the Turbo-Flex, I am sure those are grandfathered in as they were that way long before the rule.

Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#29 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

You keep blaming the wrong guy!

It ain't Tim, it's the poobah of the USRA.

Cheers.

• tonyp, Jason Holmes, Rob Voska and 3 others like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#30 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Of course you are correct, Bill.

Dan is expressing his ire towards JK, instead of inquiring to the USRA ND why the rules are not enforced equally and fairly for all companies.
  • tonyp, Jason Holmes and Mad Mexican like this

Mike Swiss

#31 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Two things are needed.

1) Can straight rods/pins be used as frame connectors? Since neither JK or Mossetti frames have pan stops for the pins, either soldered ends or wire insulation  can 'retain' the rods.  Easy transition to manufacture and implement as a standard.

2) A membership convention needs to be done to rewrite the whole USRA rulebook. A member is a registered voter and should be able to submit and vote on all issues. 

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#32 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

So, where are the pieces of a chassis defined? (A bite bar, for instance).

And just what does a "bite bar" have to do with something whose function is to hold the pieces of the chassis together?

And, for that matter, just where is the method of connecting the pieces of a chassis together defined?

Jim,

If you want a good hoot, go to OWH.

You'll learn a new term... "connector tube"  LOL.

Mike Swiss

#33 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,915 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

I think this thread belongs in the USRA forum, not General Slot Car Racing.

It's a USRA issue, not a slot car issue, and no good will become of this discussion here.

• Wizard Of Iz, kvanpelt, old & gray and 1 other like this
Paul Wolcott

#34 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Manufacturers and tech inspectors should define equipment rules.

Racers should agree on procedural rules.

Politicians should garner votes.

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#35 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

I think this thread belongs in the USRA forum, not General Slot Car Racing.

It's a USRA issue, not a slot car issue, and no good will become of this discussion here.

Done.

• Cheater and kvanpelt like this

Mike Swiss

#36 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

As far as I know, one can still use JK chassis in FNRS.

Thom Greene

#37 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I am fairly certain that this reflects only the stamped steel classes of USRA Division 2, and as such ISRA, FSCS, OCC, MSCS, FNRS, and other such members of the alphabet soup are not effected. 

All the same, this is a very unfortunate state of affairs.

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#38 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell”   ― Carl Sandburg

There's always "Alternative facts." – Kelly Ann Conway.

BTW... I keep seeing USRA ND. Who may I ask is the ND?

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#39 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

National Director - Roger Schmitt of Mid-America Raceway.

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#40 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

I am fairly certain that this reflects only the stamped steel classes of USRA Division 2, and as such ISRA, FSCS, OCC, MSCS, FNRS, and other such members of the alphabet soup are not effected. 

All the same, this is a very unfortunate state of affairs.

I am not on the BoD for the Florida Slot Car Series (FSCS) but I can tell you that racers in Florida are enjoying racing both the Mossetti and the JK C43. The FSCS guidelines simply specify "any stamped steel chassis that is commercially available." And, of course, that aluminum pans are allowed. 

And both brands are winning races.

It's kind of fun to see guys trying different things.

• Mad Mexican, Samiam, Lee Palmer and 1 other like this

Rollin Isbell

#41 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Very few series use USRA rules because of things like this.

Gets old!

• Noose, Wizard Of Iz, Rob Voska and 3 others like this
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯

Luck is the residue of design.

Be a fountain not a drain.

It's not about being right, it's getting it right.

#42 MikeC

MikeC

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

In NorCal, we've tried over the last couple of years to simplify and clarify our rules, and I think we've had some success. When new chassis like the Mossetti and JK C43 come out, we discuss if there's any reason to not allow them, and if not, we allow them. If the chassis comes out after our first race in October, it isn't allowed until the following season. Basically, we "lock" our allowed chassis, both in the flexi classes and GT12, as of the first race.

While we are a "racer" run organization, and we certainly listen to racer feedback and input, we have a small group of people that make decisions, call it a "Tech Committee," or whatever you want, that addresses potential new rules, or issues that arose during the previous years, and make corrections to the rules as needed.

I think part of the USRA's rulemaking process is the delay in addressing changes that may need to be made because of advances in the industry. Waiting a year or more to make a change to a rule, to allow what has been almost universally accepted by the racing community as a "legal" chassis, seems ridiculous. Perhaps ISRA  and their chassis approval process is a place we/USRA can look to find a solution. 

• team burrito and Benno - SAC like this

Michael Colvin

- Pit dads of the world unite! -

#43 Frankie Schaffier

Frankie Schaffier

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Suppose this doesn't surprise me. I was all fired up to run the USRA Nats, I've never run that style of Nats and was really looking forward to running all the classes. I bought two Cahzoa motors, bought and painted bodies along with GT12 Chassis and built cars just for this event. Only to read once all my cars were built that the guy that sold me the two Cahzoa motors just made it so the Cahzoa motors can't be ran in the classes for reasons that still are not clear to me. So, I canceled all my res and made a stand and didn't attend the Nats.

Now the same guy that sold me the Cahzoas turns around and squishes the new JK chassis over a piece of wire. Looking at the entries for that race, it looks like I wasn't the only one that canceled plans. In my opinion it was a joke to even call it the "Nats."

@Tim... Nice to see you make a stand. Don't let one guy running an empty org influence your drive to make better products for slot racers. It's the USRA's loss, not yours.

• Cheater, team burrito, Noose and 6 others like this
Frankie
Professional Track Wall Tester.
Rob Voska's only friend.
OS Bodies
CHR Cars

#44 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

Without innovation we would all be stuck with Champion Turbo-Flex for life. We still have a monthly Turbo-Flex race, largely to remember how much better chassis are now.

I've got a box of Hawk motors I'm playing with now where a year ago I had none. Equipment evolves, like controllers and guides. That is and has always been a part of the game.

Retro racing has successfully turned back the clock. Yet the designs, even there, are not static.

I got a box full of Parma Flexi-Kars, Flexi-2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s, Turbo-Flexs, Astros, and half a dozen other stamped steel chassis designs from JK and Trinity. Well, there goes my retirement money. :cray:

At least my Retro stuff can get mini-torched and with some new wire get turned into the next best chassis I ever built. :to_become_senile:

• Half Fast likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#45 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

And why would this be a bad thing? A racer can buy a decent handling, pretty much indestructable chassis, use it in a variety of classes with all kinds of different bodies, and have fun.

The pursuit of the "latest and greatest" has got us to where we are today. Please explain to me how slot racing is so much better now than 20 years ago, when the Turbo-Flex ruled.

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#46 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

Speaking just for me, the venerable Turbo-flex is clearly combat serviceable and duller than spit. A heaping dose of the heavily chrome-plated same' ole same' ole. I quit racing around 2003 and started back a couple ago. I can't begin to express how thrilled I was to discover Cheetah 11s and X25s. Then the C43 landed and they are nothing but pure pleasure. Can't wait for the C44.

I'm currently enjoying playing with the 21 model Indy and F1 class open wheel cars. And less we forget, with the model 21 4-1/2 inch cars we created a spec class using Dirt Outlaw bodies (highly recommended!). We are living in a time of having a wealth of flexi chassis choice and I'm loving every minute of it.

Oh, and I'm loving building Retros, too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Turbos. But, speaking just for me, figuring out gearing-tires-setup-maybe a little lead and finding that 0.01 faster lap time on a new chassis is the spice of racing. It may be, kinda sorta, why you don't see too many front-engined, rear wheel drive Offenhausers in the field at Indy any longer. But they were really something to behold when I was a kid visiting the brickyard for the first time.

As always, YMMV.

• Kevin Donovan likes this
Mark Bauer

#47 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

Since this was deleted from OWH I will post on here also:

This is Roger and his Henchman trying to outlaw JK products so their Mossetti parts will be the dominate chassis on the market. If the Mossetti chassis is so good then why didn't it win anything at the ISRA? Just like at the USRA Nationals at the National Dictators place – when the Mossetti chassis won their pictures were posted all over the place asking for everyone to stroke them, but when the outnumbered JK C21 won in LMP there are no pictures whatsoever. Seem funny that this happened, but then I expected it from him.

Just because this manufacturer wouldn't give hundreds of dollars worth of free product to this shop, so they could sell at 100% profit. I am sure that no other slot car shop in the country, just because they are having a national race, asks for hundreds of dollars worth of free product they can sell. Yeah, I can see discounted a little more, but not 100%. This is true robbery on the part of the track owner.

Everyone has got to wake up and see what is going on, but there are other people that support the National Dictator that are not out for the benefit of the hobby, but out for their own best interest. Which is the demise of USRA and then placing their own biased organization slanted at getting the racers to spend more money each and every month.

Sincerely,

Jeff Strause

• Cheater and Noose like this

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#48 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

I don't have a horse in this race, but I would like to point out that we don't really know why someone does something. Speculating as to motives is unproductive and causes permanent damage. The real issue here is a rules/bylaw structure that made the situation possible. Doesn't anyone want to fix that? 

What's done is done. Assigning blame is pointless.

Steve

• Cheater and Wizard Of Iz like this

#49 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Henchman rhymes with...? :shok:

Cheers,

• Samiam likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#50 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

I don't have a horse in this race, but I would like to point out that we don't really know why someone does something. Speculating as to motives is unproductive and causes permanent damage. The real issue here is a rules/bylaw structure that made the situation possible. Doesn't anyone want to fix that? 

What's done is done. Assigning blame is pointless.

I will agree with you, but there is not turning back. Roger and his henchman are doing what they want to do no matter if the bylaws say they can or cannot. He thinks he is above the rules of slot cars.

I am so disappointed and upset over this situation that this will probably be the last thing I do in slot cars. This organization is so rampant with corruption that people don't see it. I have four or more races per year at one of his facilities and I will not set foot in there any more, and I pulled my sponsorship from the Legends race being held at his track.  

I am at the point of being done with slot cars.

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

Electric Dreams Online Shop