185 replies to this topic

#76 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,320 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

I have several sandboxes here at the house, and you probably know what my two cats do in them... LOL!

They poop in them, then cover it up.

Paul Wolcott

#77 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Unfortunately, not aways.

My cats are nearly 20 years old... and I hope they don't live to 30.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#78 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

Well, here the ND did a BM on the USRA. :)

Cheers,

• Cheater likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#79 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Great Lakes ISRA, Flat track racing, it's been around since 2007.

JRL... Indy or F1 body on a lazar cut spring steel frame with C-can and either S-Wasp or Contender arm.

JRL Light... same but with FK motor.

B Production.... any stamped steel chassis, closed cockpit GT body with C-can and either S-Wasp or contender arm.

B Production Light... same but with FK motor.

Open 12... any chassis, open cockpit LMP body with C-can and X12 arm.

ES24... Same as USRA or ISRA, anything goes, cobalt motors with spec LMP body.

We also have run A Production which is stamped chassis with C-can and X12 arm and spec body.

Cahoza and BOW stuff legal, too!!!

Kevin - I agree we need to look at other series and make rules that make sense to the local area. But here is the major problem - continually giving money to the person who is trying to destroy slot car racing. That is all Roger is trying to do and by the local racers going in there and spending money and having races in there you are showing him that he is right in his decisions.  Plain and simple.

I love the hard body series and Brian has done a remarkable job growing a series, but by going in there and having a race you are telling Roger and the Henchman that what he is doing to the USRA is right.  And it isn't right at all.

• Cheater, Noose, tonyp and 1 other like this

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#80 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

Jeff, thanks for the moral compass, but at 60 years of age I believe I'm a pretty good judge in the company I choose to keep.

Our series is a flat track only series, and races at two locations, Chicagoland Raceway and Mid-America. Neither raceway controls our rule set, and all this BS that has flared up recently has little impact on us other than getting some people's underwear bunched, possibly impacting our attendance. 

I think we can all agree, that this could have been handled better by all involved. 

Is this bite bar thing a deal breaker for the JK chassis? Probably not. Should it have been allowed? Probably.

Thing is, the rule says it must be straight, so is Roger really wrong?

Rules are rules. We can't pick and choose the ones we want to enforce, and that has been the platform of the officers that have resigned over this. That's great, let's follow the rules to the T then. The tech director did just that at the recent USRA Nats at Mid-America when he bounced me from the tech line in ES32. The infraction that got me the boot? The bottom .032" of my sticker front wheels were trimmed flat. Really, the sticker front wheel?  :dash2:

In my opinion that was utterly ridiculous, but a stance he took. Now we are suppose to give JK a wink and a nod over the bite bar? A couple years ago, we didn't give PMP a wink and a nod when their chassis was a few thousandths too wide.

Love them or hate them, both Roger and Ron have done more for the hobby of slot car racing than hundreds of us put together. Are they perfect, not for me to judge. Are they trying to destroy slot car racing? I highly doubt that, both make their living off it. Are they out for financial gain? It's their business, of course they are.

IMO, the sky is not falling and everyone needs to chill out and talk to each other like adults. If we do as you suggest Jeff, and stop patronizing our raceways, we will have no place to race. That sure will teach him a lesson! :dash2:

• Mike K, Terry, Dan Myers and 2 others like this

#81 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

The real question here is that if accommodations were made for the Mossetti chassis, because it used a unique way of joining the pan and center section of the chassis, due to changing technology, then why can't accommodations be made for the J-bar retainers on the C43 because of its new and unique technology? The evolution of pan/center section joining systems has changed drastically over the years and as this has happened the rules have changed, as they should now. 

No one is helping the hobby by creating such an uproar over a stupid piece of wire. Write an addendum to the rule, if it'll make you feel better, and let's get on with it. 

It's apparent that very few people agree with not allowing the C43 in the USRA. Doesn't that say something about the actions taken so far?
  • Cheater, Wizard Of Iz and Half Fast like this
Fred Younkin

#82 Markomatic

Markomatic

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

At some point technology must move on but in many cases that move is prevented by restrictive rules. The light bulb did not come about by the continuous improvement of the candle.

Mark Miller

#83 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thank you, Kevin, for a post based on fact, not emotion.

#84 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Love them or hate them, both Roger and Ron have done more for the hobby of slot car racing than hundreds of us put together.

This is 100% an emotional statement.

I can state this as an absolute fact... I have never sold cheater motors that eroded the confidence in sealed motor racing. So I feel I have done more for slots than Ron.

As I have said before, Ron ruins everything.(Not you Zippity)

• Racer36 likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#85 Terry

Terry

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

Boy, some people sure do like to hear themselves talk...

Terry Watson

#86 Frankie Schaffier

Frankie Schaffier

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

Tim... Seeing that everyone has quit with the exception of Roger. Have you contacted Roger to see what can be done to solve the problem and make your chassis legal? I understand that USRA is only one race a year (that I know of), so the income from that series is rather small compared to other flexi series. But I know JK had a "ISRA" approved chassis, why not the same for the USRA? Find out what the real issues is, package a car that's USRA approved, no different than is done for the ISRA approved chassis as an example?
Frankie
Professional Track Wall Tester.
Rob Voska's only friend.
OS Bodies
CHR Cars

#87 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Terry,

You ain't kidding.

USRA Response to JK-Products Questions and Comments Posted Online May 24, 2017

Everyone who knows the writing style recognizes the real author.
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#88 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

Lets make sure things stay civil here, please.

So far, it has...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#89 Terry

Terry

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

Wow, Sam, to sit here and speculate as to who the author of an email post is a little far fetched don't you think?

KVP's post said it best as far as I'm concerned.

OK, what if the ND gets booted or steps down? Who is going to take his place? Anyone, anyone, hello....(hear crickets chirping).

As far as the people that resigned goes, Matt and Jason's tenure would still be ending June 1, 2017, if they hadn't resigned.

Jon would still have one year left if he decided to come back.

What about Rob and Jonathon, will they change their minds and come back?  Only they can answer that.

And as far as the threat to lock it down, Greg, you mine as well go ahead and do it. You lock everything else down, it's your sandbox, you have all the power.

In the end, none of this really matters. People will live, people will suffer, people will die. The sun will continue to shine but will anyone bother to stop and smell the roses?

Sad, sad, sad...
  • Zippity likes this
Terry Watson

#90 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Wow, Sam, to sit here and speculate as to who the author of an email post is a little far-fetched, don't you think?

Nope.

• tonyp likes this
Sam Levitch

#91 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

I agree with Sam - no, it isn't.
  • Samiam likes this

Jeff Strause

#92 Terry

Terry

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Last thing I'm going to say about this so feel free to flame away!

Sam and Jeff, are either of you even USRA members?

Jeff - You have an agenda here don't you? Why yes, of course you do... Mr. JK factory pro racer!!!

Have a good evening all.
Terry Watson

#93 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

Time to lock this thread.

It has become boring...
  • Terry likes this

#94 mazur50

mazur50

Mr. X

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

I think KVP said it the best.

But everyone has the answer but when they call for people to run for office you get no one.

Everyone know I will be the first one to tell the ND to F off. But one this one I see both sides. They way I feel with rules is the USRA should classify cars by type but not by design. And the USRA should not tell you how to make a flexi car but just enforce how it was submitted.

But the problem is the current rule implies how a chassis should be made even though it was not how it was intended. I think the chassis should be legal. But I am not sure the JK cure was the best way to do this. But so people know this is not the first time this happened. It is just one of the first time it was out in the open for everyone to see.

Just remember if the USRA goes away or products become unrestricted prices will go up. Look at Cahoza. Now that they are not regulated the UL can is now $39. Will all arms be $100. I mean they cost about the same thing to make. I face the 16D cost the most of all the arms.

The USRA is more then one race a year, it is a foundation for all rules to be based on. The USRA has been going in the wrong direction for a long time. It is time for a revamp. And the offices need checks and balances. I hope the USRA does not go away. But I am also glad I was not voted in as scale director. I would not want to deal with this mess

I feel the chassis needs to be brought up to vote and the rules need to be changed.
  • Mike K, kvanpelt, Terry and 2 others like this
Michael Mazur

"Mr. Excitement"

#95 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

How long before Mike is accused of not having written that post himself? :(
  • Terry and Samiam like this

#96 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:57 AM

And as far as the threat to lock it down, Greg, you mine as well go ahead and do it. You lock everything else down...

Terry, how about about telling me just where I threatened to "lock it down"?

As since most people can count, they will know how silly is your claim that I "lock everything else down."

Jeff - You have an agenda here, don't you?

And of course, Terry, you don't have any agenda at all, right? Now that's funny and sad at the same time...

The larger problem is that in the USRA scheme, everyone has an agenda, usually a personal one but sometimes a financial, profit-based agenda, as many alledge is the case with the ND's JK chassis decision which was clearly at odds with the opinions of numerous elected USRA Scale officials and seemingly many of the USRA members, too.

• Half Fast and Dan Myers like this

Gregory Wells

#97 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

Sam and Jeff, are either of you even USRA members?

Jeff - You have an agenda here don't you? Why yes, of course you do... Mr. JK factory pro racer!!!

You're right, I am not a member and I refuse to become a member of an organization that I will be actually benefit from for one race per year.  I went to the Nationals this year and was going to become a member and race in one class, but when the "morning" race became the afternoon race, and the "afternoon" race became the evening race, I packed up and went home. When you put out a schedule - you stick to it, yet I understand there may be reasons to change it, but "just because" isn't a reason and that is what we got.

I would run to be one of the officers, but my job doesn't allow me to have massive amounts of time off to travel for weeks to attend so I couldn't do that. Plus no one would enjoy getting told to "F" off because none of you all pay my bills or write my paycheck.

Yes, I support JK products and I have for years because JK supports fair and competitive racing throughout the world, not just to certain people. I don't get special equipment from them, I buy my stuff from my local track and will continue to support PJ.

JK Products, whether Tim or Jerry, has done more for slot cars then the majority of companies combined. They are always trying to come out with the latest and greatest chassis and motors (quality) - they are innovative. And yes, maybe at times it bites them, but what other manufacturer have you seen that is a full line manufacturer?

JK has so many new things on the drawing board that will be coming out to help the entry level racing for slot cars. That is what this hobby needs.

• Samiam likes this

Jeff Strause

#98 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

JK Products "Pro" identified people are contributors, not sponsored races as other manufacturers do. We do not pay any racers to use our products, whether with cash or free products. We do not sponsor racers as a policy.

The people we have identified as JK Pro's are those that help us technically with development, testing, new product ideas or improvements, or general input into the slot car world. As I am new to the industry, I value the input and efforts of the people that help make JK Products better. If you consider a nice shirt as payment, then I suppose they are paid, but they do not get ongoing free products or support. The shirt is simply my way of giving them some recognition and saying "thanks."  

• Pappy, Mike K, Half Fast and 4 others like this
Tim Homola
JK Products

#99 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

Still waiting for the constructive, and specific bylaw changes that fix the issues raised. I can think of a bunch. This does seem like it has become a simple USRA bashing session with little or no interest in finding a solution. September is not that far away. Work should begin now.

Steve

#100 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

Steve,

Most of the USRA racers to whom I have spoken don't believe the USRA can be repaired. It would take consensus among the members of the six-person USRA BoD and that's almost certainly never going to occur.

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop