• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Madtes

Jon Madtes

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

I want to start off saying Thank You!!! You guys have stood behind Matt, Jason, and myself for the last couple of years. I stand behind every decision and approval that we have made!

We have worked as a team to better the D2. Matt and Jason are great guys and it was great working side by side with them. There just is not an easy fix for what has happened over the last week or so.

At this time though I am announcing my resignation from the USRA D2 tech team effect immediately.

Thanks for your support!!!

Jonathan Madtes

• Cheater, Noose, Bernie and 4 others like this

#2 Jon Madtes

Jon Madtes

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:33 PM

Jason asked me to post this for him here. He like some of us have had issues with posting this info on the other site.

"For the past several years I feel that there has been reasonable progress made in the USRA as evident by the number of racers and entries in the recent national scale events. The Scale Director, Matt Bruce, has taken a very logical approach toward solving some of the many problems and inconsistencies that plague the current rule book. The approach was simple - work with the tech directors, racers, manufacturers, and raceways to find a solution that made sense to as many people as possible. At times, difficult decisions had to be made for the betterment of the hobby; decisions were not taken lightly and were throughly discussed. We would flesh out as many or the pros and cons that we could think of and only after weighing out the options carefully, present the solution. Were we perfect? I am sure not, but as a group we always strived to be so.

Currently the National Director seems to have his own agenda in mind. He seemingly does not care about looking for solutions by discussing the options and coming to a reasonable conclusion.

Two major decisions have been made in recent months (without consensus) about the legality of products. The first was the immediate removal of Cahoza motors from the approved products list. There was no phasing them out over the course of a few years, as was done with other manufacturers, just an immediate removal. There was very little discussion; basically he stated he was going to take them off the list, and then they were gone.

The second and most recent decision was the denial of the latest JK chassis submission. In a nut shell, the current rules prohibit a racer bending the stock bite bar but say nothing about the manufacturer designing a chassis with a bent bite bar. The racer must use the stock bite bar. Clearly the wording in the rule book could be less nebulous, but there is nothing wrong with the JK chassis as submitted.

It has become abundantly clear that my current position of Scale Tech Director is not needed since clearly the National Director has things completely under control. I am therefore putting in my resignation as Scale Tech Director immediately.

Jason Hooper"

• Cheater, Noose, tonyp and 2 others like this

#3 Lee Palmer

Lee Palmer

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for your service and looking out for us racers.

#4 Jon Madtes

Jon Madtes

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

I am also posting this on behalf of Matt Bruce.

matt.jpg
  • Cheater, team burrito, Noose and 6 others like this

#5 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

As the incoming Scale Director I will not take office.

It's been a turbulent few weeks after the Nats. I have the utmost respect for the thankless job, best intentions, and hard work that was done by all the Scale Directors. I can't bring myself or my team to be someone's puppet and encourage everyone to let the USRA die. Everything must have an end. Unfortunately I believe that was the unspoken
goal all along. Consider that a warning...

Below is the stated goal of the USRA. It is to bring rules stability and much-needed leadership to the sport of slot car racing. If you are following these threads and involved in this sport you know it has missed its stated goal. It's no wonder why it is irrelevant to most small tracks in the US.  It offers them nothing and does not reach out to them in any meaningful way to help them build a strong foundation. They are doing their best to simply keep the doors open, but sadly that lack of leadership leads to incompatible rules, classes and equipment, making it hard for racers to go anywhere besides their home track and race.

Page 4
BYLAWS
ARTICLE I
B. PURPOSES & POWERS
The primary purpose of the Association is to establish rules and procedures to standardize the sport of slot car racing, and to further the general interests of all persons engaged in the hobby/sport of scale model slot car racing.

• Cheater, MSwiss, Noose and 4 others like this

#6 Jonathan Forsyth

Jonathan Forsyth

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

I will not be accepting my impending position of assistant tech director for 2018.

The last three years showed exceptional teamwork and dedication to help grow and move the USRA in the right direction. That was the team and goals I was looking to continue with when I accepted the nomination for assistant tech director. Clearly this isn't the direction any more.

The national director has made no effort to reach out for anyone's opinions and wants to do things his way; not what I signed up for.

I will continue to support the USRA Nationals by attending and racing, but I refuse to be on the same BoD with a leader who refuses to work with cohesively with the rest of the BoD.

Jonathan Forsyth
  • Cheater, MSwiss, Noose and 5 others like this
Team Parma/PSE
Third Eye Technology

#7 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

I have mixed feelings about this. It might have been better to just rid the USRA of Roger.

Those who work for a living are being quickly overwhelmed by those who vote for a living.

Thomas Jefferson: "Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself."
-David Parrotta

#8 W. J. Dougherty

W. J. Dougherty

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Though it may be too late, might I suggest you all not resign from your positions in the USRA. 

Might I suggest you do the jobs you are supposed to do and take care of the racers you represent. Go through all the proper steps you're supposed to and get that consensus from your team for your final recommendation to approve/disapprove said part. Forward that recommendation per the by-laws to the Director. If he disapproves your recommendation, then its on him.  ou have done your part the proper way. 

What he has done is then part of the narrative of possible inappropriate decisions/actions on the part of the Director...  

Yortuk & Georg Festrunk

#9 Bernie

Bernie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

That has already been done...

Bernie Schatz

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Oh what a crying shame ... Can't remember something this bad happening in slots. Nobody who loves slot cars can be happy to see this, whether they race USRA or not.
  • Dushkwoneshe and Lee Palmer like this

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#11 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

I would like to thank all the current scale (Division 2) directors for their honesty and hard work trying to improve the USRA for everyone. Unfortunately, their efforts have been repeatedly blocked on many levels by Roger Schmitt, the current National Director and by virtually all accounts, his unelected associate Ron Hershman. Hershman was regularly and directly involved in the USRA's private board of director’s discussions. This is the very same person that was expelled from the IRRA® board of directors.

This corrupt leadership situation resulted in JK Products® withdrawing from the USRA, and now every current and incoming scale director has resigned in protest against the manner in which the USRA has been and still is being run.  

Current 2016 Scale Officers

Division Director, Matt Bruce – resigned

Technical Director, Jason Hooper – resigned

Assistant Technical Director, Jon Madtes – resigned

Incoming 2017 Scale Officers

Division Director, Rob Voska – resigned

Technical Director, Jon Madtes – resigned

Assistant Technical Director, Jonathan Forsyth – resigned

These are some of the finest people in the hobby/sport.

After speaking with many of them, the primary source of their frustration was directed at the national director Roger Schmitt and the unelected Ron Hershman.

It appears to me that scale racing in some ways needs a reboot and a new way forward.

(I tried to post the same in OWH but my account is being blocked until approved by a moderator.)

• Noose, tonyp, DOCinCocoa and 2 others like this
Tim Homola
JK Products

#12 Brinkley47

Brinkley47

A winner is a loser who gave it one more try

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Got problems with the USRA? Race Retro! :)
Will Brinkley
willbrinkley@gmail.com

#13 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

Ron ruins everything.

Got problems with the USRA? Race Retro! :)

Many do. I know you meant this "tongue in cheek."

I will just ignore this development and race my local rules. They state: "Any stamped steel chassis."

Meanwhile if tracks want to use ISRA rules, that works, too. After all, the "I" in ISRA stands for 'International.'
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#14 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Tim,

Time to re-org to the East Coast!!!
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#15 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

The cancer has metastasized!

No cheer here...

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#16 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

This has all the makings of a really great "B" movie! All it needs is a love interest, a beat-down of the villian, and more explosions!

• Cheater likes this

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#17 S Forsyth

S Forsyth

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:53 AM

It would be real simple -l et's just start ISRA US - Div2. The first race could be held at Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park, CA, in April 2018 and all the officials could come back.
  • team burrito, Dominator and Samiam like this
Steve Forsyth

"This is who we are, this is what we do."

#18 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

I still believe that reforming the bylaws can save the organization and avoid conflicts in the future. This is the discussion that should be happening. Many have grievances. Solutions proposed would be more helpful. In reading the bylaws, the National Director is is charged with the final say on many things without recourse by the body. A  new ND who reads the bylaws thoroughly will get the impression that they decide everything. Some problems:

1 - No method for challenging ND decisions
2 - Necessary committees are optional
3 - Where is the Bylaws Committee? It is mind boggling that this standard committee does not exist to field questions, process intake of proposed changes, etc. 
4 - Article 3 Section A - While emergency rule changes are necessary, why they aren't they reviewed at a set meeting of a committee to determine if they should be permanent?
5 - I don't see the where the method is defined for replacement of officers who do not serve a full term.

There are many other examples. It is possible if these structural flaws are fixed, a lot of the infighting goes away. I have found that when a process is fair, and most importantly, clear... parties who disagree more easily accept the outcome without any hard feelings.

Steve

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,497 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

Steve Smith,

Your suggestions are very reasonable and worthwhile.

But, your numbered points illustrate the central problem: there are no procedures in place to accomplish the necessary changes.

Historically, changes to USRA bylaws and rules can only be made once a year, in response to proposals submitted by members, and IMO such a system is basically unworkable. It's been that way for a very long time.

The management structure of the USRA needs major changes and there isn't a path to making them happen as best I can tell.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#20 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Thank you, and I should point that I'm not suggesting that any of this can be fixed tomorrow.  I

t looks like you have until September 15 to create a proposal.  ou're exactly right and that is another area that needs to be worked on. 

What I am trying to say is that this organization is worth saving, but everyone must work together in the same general direction, without focusing on individual people. It will take time, but I would hate to see this historic organization die. There is nothing in the bylaws preventing anyone from rethinking the structure and making proposals at the appropriate time. Tasks should be identified and work should begin. 

For the record, I'm not even a USRA member, much less running for anything. 

I just love slot car racing.

Steve

#21 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

We need the USRA, we don't need the ND that we have now and he needs to step down before the Div 1 Nats, a new ND should fill the position and those that have just taken their new jobs should stay on with this new ND .

Jason

#22 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Art. III E/C lets the BoD change rules at any time and take effect Immediately. Change the rules for the ND to be a one-year term and change it back the following year. He is on the BoD but only has one vote and from what I can see by votes it will pass and he would be gone.

Keep the USRA.

Jason

#23 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

I would hope that Matt Bruce Div. 2 and Frank Sarkela Div. 1 Directors  would get this started ASAP. You still have your jobs, make this right.

Jason

• JerseyJohn likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop