5 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

'Lets Talk' is a print magazine focused on the interests of the 'active over 50s' audience in the East Anglia area of Great Britain with features about local people, local events, competitions plus a nostalgic look back at the way the people lived, worked and played.

clayton1.jpg

When I was a boy racer

"Back in the 1960s Gorleston lads raced Jaguars. BBC Radio Norfolk’s David Clayton remembers the Green Bees Slot Car Racing Club: 

I’ve omitted to tell you up until now, and I think you’ll be impressed, I once a raced a Lister Jaguar. This was a fine 1950s sports car and I won lots of races – against an identical Lister Jaguar, as it happened.

I say 'identical,' however they were different colours. The yellow one was a tad faster if I’m honest. This was in the early Sixties, and before you conclude I was a genius boy-racer, the race track was in our dining room and would weave its way under the table and sideboard.

Yes, I’m a carpet-racer of the Scalextric variety, and could be absorbed for hours and days staging full length grands prix but only if my mother sanctioned the building of the track in the first place."

Read the rest of the article by clicking the link below:

When I was a boy racer

• hiline2 and Tex like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,079 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:43 AM

When I was a boy, slot racing wasn't around. My first slot racing was as a teen.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,917 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

Not everyone is a fossil, Bill... LOL!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Kool article. That's the way most of us started over here. Before commercial tracks migrated to the Chicago area, sets with snap track was all there was. My first set was an Eldon, bought from the local Western Auto store. 

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

Good article, thanks for posting, Greg. 

Bill's really referring to commercial slot racing - slot car sets were already around since 1957 and the first rail racing clubs since 1956 or so. I got my start on an Eldon as well, in '62 or so (after seeing a huge AMT Turnpike setup at the Chicago auto show that year), and didn't really discover commercial slot racing until '65, then didn't start racing more seriously till '66 - but I did a lot of home racing in the meantime, mostly HO, with landscaped track, hopped-up T-Jets, etc. 

Don

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,079 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Don, I started slot racing in 1963, when I was 15, with an AMT Turnpike. I had been building AMT kits since 1958, so I had quite an assortment of bodies to use. Commercial racing didn't come to Maine, where I then lived, until the fall of 1967. I never was interested in HO, but between 1963 & 67, I designed a 1/32 home layout for my bedroom using Car Model, MCS, & the Auto World catalog for references.. That track was never built because commercial tracks became available.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

Electric Dreams Online Shop